I Love You

A Perfect Fit

1. I Love You

“Oppa?”

Jaehwan’s heart stopped. It couldn’t be. He turned, fully expecting that there would be no one and that he was just hearing and imagining things. It would just be hallucinations and he would find the spot empty.

But there she was, in the flesh.

Not a mirage or his imagination.

“Eunji…”

-----

She had led him to some rocks on a more secluded part of the beach where they were now sitting, watching the gentle waves crash on the shore as the sun, now risen and bright, shone above them.

“So… I saw your performance last night on MBC,” Jaehwan finally broke the silence. “It was pretty cool, you guys doing the intro thing in pairs.”

Eunji smiled at him. “Thank you. We were quite honoured that they gave us quite a bit of air time; didn’t expect it actually.” She paused. “I didn’t manage to catch your performance though,” she expressed somewhat guiltily. “But I heard you guys had to perform outside… must have been freezing!”

Jaehwan gave a slight laugh. “Yeah it totally was. Thank goodness we had our Closer uniform concept. If it were attire for Fantasy or Chained Up I think we really would have frozen.”

Eunji threw him a sympathetic look and a slight smile.

They sat in silence again, both staring out into the waters, yet occasionally sneaking glances at the other.

“So, how long are you on break for?” Jaehwan broke the silence again.

“One week,” Eunji replied, and laughed at Jaehwan’s raised eyebrows. “I know; it’s really fortunate. And I’m actually returning earlier than the rest too, due to individual schedule. I think Namjoo and Hayoung have like, 10 days.”

“Yeah, it is. Wow, one week.”

“How about you?”

“Oh, a couple of days,” Jaehwan replied casually. He had a feeling he knew the next question that would be coming up.

Eunji nodded slowly, and then frowned. “Don’t mind me asking then… Why are you all the way here in Busan? I thought your family lives in Seoul.”

Jaehwan bit his lip. Yup, here it is. He gave a nervous laugh. “Actually, I’m heading back tomorrow. Well, later today to be exact.” He tried to side step her question, but Eunji was not fooled. She continued to look at him, expectant.

“Well… okay, I was intending to head home after concert. But I guess I ended up here because…” He paused, searching for the right words. “A fresh start?”

“A fresh start?”

Jaehwan gave another nervous laughter. “Yeah, you know. New year, new resolutions, putting the past behind and looking to the future, that kind of thing.” He rambled.

He took one look at Eunji’s expression and sighed. “Okay, the truth? I remembered you brought me here the last time we came to Busan. You said that it was favourite place growing up because it gave you inspiration, retrospect on looking and reflecting on things…” He paused and gave her a slight smile. “You also said that you would come every New Year to see the sunrise… because it symbolized hope and endless possibilities ahead.”

Eunji was still puzzled. “So you came because you knew that I would be here?”

Jaehwan paused. “It was not in my conscious thought,” he replied honestly. “I just followed my gut and somehow boarded the train here.”

He shrugged. “But I guess somewhere in my sub consciousness, I was hoping to see you again.”

-----

Eunji stared at the boy – no, man – sitting beside her who was pouring out his earnest response.

She was at a loss.

The feelings that she had buried so deep less than a year ago were starting to surface and overtake her logic and physical senses like it did before. And even more.

The increase in heartbeat. Butterflies in her stomach. Anticipation of what was next. Oh Jaehwan-oppa, how you affect me so!

She realized that he was staring right back at her, as if expecting a response.

“I… I can’t believe you remembered all that,” she stammered eventually.

His face broke out into a smile that just melted her insides. “I remember everything about that weekend, Eunji," he replied sincerely. "It was the best weekend of my life.”

Eunji looked away, cheeks burning, but a smile forming on her face that she could not stop.

Stop, her mind screamed as logic took over. You need to protect yourself!

“While we’re on a roll here,” Jaehwan continued, oblivious to her thoughts. “And I still have the courage to say so…”

Oh no please no, Eunji thought. I will be powerless against this. She closed her eyes as if to defend from what was going to come.

“I love you, Eunji.”

 

-----

AN: Closure to the cliffhanger from A Perfect Song - you are very welcome. We can all breathe now (: