I Love You Too

A Perfect Fit

2. I Love You Too

“I love you, Eunji.”

Eunji did not know how to respond. All this time she had been busy burying her feelings and keeping them from surfacing, and here he was pulling everything out like a tsunami wave with just his smile... and the three words.

I love you.

Jaehwan had never ever said it to her while they were friends-but-more-than-friends; not when they sang emotional duets, not after he had kissed her, not when he had walked her home, not after their Busan weekend together. And because of that, Eunji was convinced that she was just a fling for him; another girl to replace the only one he loved – and lost – when he joined VIXX.

Well to be fair, she had never said it to him either. Except on that very last letter she wrote to him. Which, she was willing to admit in all honesty, was a pretty cowardly move. But it was also a test – she had secretly hoped that it would trigger something in him to make him reach out to her instead.

But he didn’t, and she cried buckets of tears and afterwards swore that she would not have anything to do with him anymore. They didn’t have many mementos together anyway, she had thought bitterly. Because they had never established what they were.

Eunji looked up and realized that he was staring intently at her, as if waiting for an answer.

Her mind was blank. She blinked.

Jaehwan covered his nervousness with a laugh. “I know I have never said this to you before,” he admitted. “But it is true. I loved you then, and I realize that I still love you now.”

“W – When?” She finally stammered out.

He shrugged. “It came gradually I guess. Realized that I looked forward to every time we could have lessons, just so that we could spend the time together.”

Eunji blushed and looked away, but her mind still swirling with thoughts. She was a female idol group member; probably the last person in the music and entertainment industry that anyone would want to fall in love with – there was just simply no time and privacy. Not to mention the uproar from fans if they found out.

“But, why?” It was all that came out of the swirling thoughts. Luckily, Jaehwan seemed to understand.

“Why not?” He countered. “I guess through all the time we spent together we found so many things in common, and yet so many things unique that just drew me to you,” he replied earnestly. “Like, your positive energy and laughter, your presence… it just makes me feel so s – “

“Safe and comfortable.” She finished with him.

As he stared at her in surprise, her mind flew back to the first conversation they had after The King of Masked Singer competition, where they similarly finished the sentence together.

The conversation that started it all.

He must have also thought of the same thing because he started grinning, and she felt a smile form on her face, mirroring his. She looked away again, blushing.

They sat in silence for a moment before she felt his tentative hand cover hers. His fingers ghosted over hers lightly, before sliding between them, interlocking and giving them a squeeze. Her hand fit perfectly in his, just like how he remembered.

Eunji’s heart felt like it was going to beat out of her, yet she never felt so full and safe.

She made up her mind.

She turned to him, pulling his interlinked hands towards her, and reaching out for his other hand. He submitted to her willingly, but with a look of puzzlement on his face. She pulled both his hands upwards to cup her cheeks, smiling lightly.

“Do you remember this?” She whispered.

She saw his smile widen with understanding as he connected the memory. She put her hands on his cheeks too, mirroring him, and pulled him gently towards her.

When their lips touched, it felt like home.

It was a slow kiss, reminiscent of their first, which Jaehwan had initiated more than a year ago, but with much more confidence.

They finally broke apart.

"I love you too, oppa."

 

-----

AN: Sorry for the short chapter! It's a continuation from the previous chapter to show Eunji's response. Wheee~ Now we can get on to the good stuff, guys.