The Moon Dinner

A Perfect Fit

13. The Moon Dinner

There was silence in the practice room – something that was pretty rare – as the VIXX members were sprawled on the floor, tired out after their dance practice. To be more specific, two-thirds of VIXX were sprawled on the floor; Taekwoon and Hyuk had already left for their schedules.

A sigh broke the silence as Hakyeon sat up. “CEO Hwang wants to meet with me in half an hour,” he declared. “So I gotta go shower… Anyone wants to accompany me?” He looked around at the other members hopefully.

“Binnie…” Hakyeon whined at the member who was closest to him.

“I knew it…” Hongbin gave an exaggerated groan before grinning. “I’m just kidding. I gotta go shower too anyway,” he said, sitting up. “I’ve got dinner plans.”

Hakyeon clapped his hands in delight and they stood up together, prepared to leave.

“Please don’t fall asleep on the floor,” Hakyeon implored at the two remaining members who were still sprawled on the floor. “Especially you, Wonshik.”

“Yes hyung,” Jaehwan and Wonshik answered obediently, but making no attempt to move. Hakyeon rolled his eyes and walked out of the room with Hongbin in tow, who was suppressing a laugh. He would not be surprised if he went back to the dorm later that night to find Wonshik still not back yet.

Jaehwan closed his eyes as he felt his body relax. He had just sent out a text to Eunji – as he usually did – telling her that he was done with his day. He knew that she was busy with schedules tonight (Apink was having a variety show recording with JYP), but he still liked informing her about what he was doing and his whereabouts, just like how he liked to hear about hers.

“No plans tonight, hyung?”

Jaehwan shook his head. “No,” he replied, after realizing that Wonshik could not see him because he was similarly sprawled out on his back on the floor. “How about you?”

“Same. But maybe I’ll head into my studio to work on some music a bit more.”

Jaehwan smiled. It was typical of Wonshik to spend endless hours with his music, sometimes to the point that he forgets to eat and sleep. Although Jaehwan could not fully understand the extent of his passion, he admired his dongsaeng for it.

“Don’t forget to take breaks, Wonshik.” Jaehwan reminded him.

“I know.”

There was another bout of comfortable silence as both members rested, listening to the low whirl of the air conditioning in the background.

That is, until Wonshik broke the silence again.

“Hyung? Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” Jaehwan replied sleepily, his eyes still closed.

There was a slight pause before Wonshik spoke. “What… What is it like to be in a relationship?”

Jaehwan tilted his head towards Wonshik’s direction, peeking an eye open. Wonshik was not looking at him; rather, he was staring straight up at the ceiling.

A bunch of adjectives and phrases came into Jaehwan’s mind immediately – companionship, similar interests, enjoyment, love – but he chose to go with his curiosity instead.

“I thought you’ve been in relationships before?”

Wonshik shifted and caught Jaehwan’s eye. “Not really,” he admitted guiltily. “I have many girls who are friends, and have gone on many dates… But never a real relationship.” He wrinkled his forehead in though. “At least, I don’t think so,” he added.

Jaehwan turned around to lie on his stomach, his chin resting on his hands as he cocked his head questioningly. “What do you think is a real relationship?” He asked.

Wonshik shrugged. “I don’t know…” He paused. “Something real?”

Jaehwan fought the urge to roll his eyes.

Wonshik’s mouth twitched at Jaehwan’s reaction. “Okay, okay…” He conceded, thinking hard. “Hmm, something like what you have with Eunji?”

Jaehwan pursed his lips as he nodded slowly. “Okay… Which is…?”

“A good match.”

Jaehwan raised his eyebrows. Sure, they had their similarities and interests, but there were also many things that they were like chalk and cheese. Jaehwan wasn’t sure if he would confidently describe them as a “good match” in some of the times.

“I mean, I write all these songs about love and all,” Wonshik continued. “But I realized that I don’t actually know if it’s even accurate or if real-life love works this way.” He paused and looked at Jaehwan. “Does it?”

‘Black Out’ was the first song that popped into Jaehwan’s mind, and he blushed slightly, recalling the conversation he had with Eunji about it. But now as he thought about it again, it struck him that it took Eunji a lot of courage and honesty to have brought up the subject in the first place. And while they were awkwardly uncomfortable discussing it at first, it certainly made way for a lot of other conversations to take place more comfortably.

“Honesty,” Jaehwan concluded finally. “I think honesty and trust is important for relationships to work out. Same like friendships.”

Wonshik nodded slowly, thinking.

The loud vibration of Jaehwan’s phone against the floor cut off whatever conversation was to continue. Jaehwan glanced at the screen and frowned.

Yobeseyo, Jaegwan-hyung?”

-----

“Eunji?”

Jaehwan called out tentatively. He and Eunji were spread out on Eunji’s bed in the evening after dinner, just chilling out. Jaehwan was toggling between his phone games and scrolling through his chats, while Eunji was reading a book.

“Yes?” Eunji looked up.

“What’s your schedule like for next week?”

Eunji cocked her head slightly as she paused to recall. “I’m not too sure… We just had our JYP party people filming…” she thought aloud before shaking her head. “I don’t think I have anything major on for next week, although I’ll need to check my calendar again.” She looked up back at Jaehwan. “Why do you ask?”

Jaehwan looked away and gave a slight laugh. “Well…” he trailed off slightly before locking his eyes back with Eunji’s. “It’s my mum’s birthday next week, and my family plans to give her a surprise dinner…”

“And you’re the surprise?” Eunji smiled.

“Yeah, kind of.” Jaehwan paused. “I was wondering if you would like to join me for the dinner too. Me and my family, I mean,” he added quickly.

“Sure.”

Jaehwan blinked. “Really?”

Eunji smiled again. “Yeah, why not?” She shrugged. “I’ve not really met your omma yet; this might be a good chance for me to get to know your family.”

Jaehwan laughed. “Well my omma definitely likes you. She can’t get over how good your voice is. My appa had to warn her to tone it down if not people will get suspicious because she kept going around to all her friends and our neighbours to buy your latest album.”

“That’s sweet,” Eunji blushed. “Well, I like her son’s voice too, so I guess it makes us even.”

Jaehwan leaned forward and pressed a kiss onto Eunji’s forehead. “Thank you,” he whispered, as Eunji closed her eyes and appreciated his touch.

“For saying you have a great voice?”

Jaehwan smiled as he fought the urge to roll his eyes. “No…” He pulled back slightly so as to stare deep into Eunji’s bright eyes. “For saying yes to coming to the dinner with me.”

“Oh…” Eunji giggled. “Well, as long as I’m not intruding.”

Jaehwan shook his head firmly as his right hand came up to cup Eunji’s cheek. “You are my girlfriend and the one I love,” he told her softly. “Believe me, you are very much a part of my family as anyone else.”

This time, Eunji was the one to initiate the kiss.

-----

The next week

“So, how long is the journey?”

Eunji had just picked Jaehwan up from his dorm and they swapped seats so that Jaehwan could drive them to his neighbourhood for his mother’s birthday dinner. Eunji had bought her own car not too long ago so that she could visit her family in Busan more often. It was getting more and more difficult to take the public train and bus without being spotted, hence making the car a good buy.

That, and it also made meeting up with Jaehwan a whole lot easier. In fact, they sometimes just sat in her car talking and spending time together. Not that there was no privacy in their respective dorms – their members have been very tactful to give them space – but sometimes they just wanted some alone time.

“Mmm, about an hour to an hour and a half depending on traffic,” Jaehwan replied, navigating the car out of the busy district onto the highway.

“Okay,” Eunji settled into her seat, pulling her feet up against her chest and making herself comfortable. “Where are we having dinner?”

“My cousin and his friend just opened a restuarant early this year, and it’s supposed to be really good. Jaeho-hyung thought that it’ll be a good place especially since we need somewhere with privacy.”

Eunji gave a slight laugh. “That’s true.” She turned to look out of the window at the passing scenary. “Do you get recognized easily in Jayang-dong?”

“Not often,” Jaehwan answered. “There are quite a few idol dorms in the area, so it’s not uncommon to cover up and stuff. It’s been pretty easy to hide.”

Eunji nodded. “Chorong-unnie was telling me to be careful before I left just now,” she explained.

“Is she okay that you are not there for the dinner with JYP and Heize tonight?”

Eunji nodded again. “She’s fine. Besides it was a pretty last minute thing and an informal dinner anyway. The rest of the members will be saying that I have a family dinner appointment and hence can’t be there.”

Jaehwan turned to give Eunji a grateful smile. “Thank you for doing this with me,” he told her sincerely.

Eunji blushed as she giggled. “I know, oppa. You have told me many times. And, I want to,” she added.

There was a comfortable silence as they drove on for a bit, but Eunji could not help but keep picking on the loose thread on her seatbelt.

“Are you feeling nervous?” Jaehwan glanced over to Eunji.

Eunji blushed. “A little,” she admitted. “I want to make a good impression with your family.”

Jaehwan chuckled as he reached out to lace one of his hands with hers and gave it a squeeze. “You need not worry too much then; you already have. In fact, Jaegwan-hyung’s girlfriend Jini said that she is dying to meet you.”

Eunji smiled. “It just occurred to me that I’ve never been to your house before or met your family properly, while you have been to Busan and met mine a couple of times.” She paused. “I hope your omma won’t hold it against me.”

Jaehwan frowned, thinking. “Nah, she wouldn’t,” he scoffed, tightening his hold on Eunji’s hand in an effort to assure her. “Don’t worry too much.”

So Eunji put her thoughts elsewhere as she drifted off to sleep.

-----

Jaehwan was right – his family was indeed impressed with Eunji. Although Eunji secretly thought that it did not take much to impress them actually; they were as easy-going as Jaehwan was, and also as welcoming, friendly and bursting with aeygo-ness. Even though she was seated near Jaehwan’s parents (they insisted on Jaehwan sitting close to them as they “hardly ever got to see him”), Eunji found herself relax more and more as she conversed with the family as the dinner carried on. She even managed a comfortable conversation with his parents on her own when Jaehwan left for a short while to catch up with his cousin and friend (the restaurant owners).

“So… how was it for you?” Jaehwan asked as Eunji sank down next to him on the couch in the living room, fresh out of the shower and ready for bed.

They had already planned on staying the night at Jaehwan’s house, as they knew that the dinner would end late, and his mother had made up Jaehwan’s room for Eunji while Jaehwan took the couch for the night. Jaehwan made no mention of having slept with Eunji on the same bed before, so Eunji made no comment either. Although in actual fact the bed in Jaehwan’s room was far bigger than the super single that they squeezed on back in their dorms.

Eunji cocked her head to the side as she considered. “It was okay… Quite good actually,” she smiled.

Jaehwan returned her smile. “See,” he replied. “I told you that there is nothing to worry about.” He drew Eunji into his arms and placed a kiss on the top of her head, breathing in the familiar scent of her shampoo.

Eunji sighed as she sank into his arms, content. “I really like your family,” she told Jaehwan. “And I’m just so glad that everything is working out with our families and people that we love. I can’t imagine being in a situation of having to choose between love and family.”

Jaehwan chuckled softly. “Trust you to think of the negative and what ifs,” he chastised gently. “But yes, I am thankful and grateful that we do not have to face that situation. And that my parents love you too.”

Jaehwan and Eunji fell into a comfortable silence as they relaxed in each other’s arms and listened to their heartbeats, enjoying the warmth and love that each provided.

“In fact,” Jaehwan added, as he pulled back to look at Eunji. “My omma asked if we could have brunch together with her and my appa tomorrow before we head back to Seoul.”

He laughed at the sight of Eunji’s widened eyes in surprise.

-----

Inspiration: Eunji being absent from the dinner Apink had with JYP and Heize, and Jaehwan posted an Instagram picture of himself at his friend's restuarant on the same night.