ch10

The Bucket List (Letter Me Later)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I'm very sorry for this being rushed and boring. T T

 

 

He woke up from slumber feeling numb on his left arm. He take a look on his side and found a beauty peacefully sleeping on his arm. He smiled. She’s the best thing he could wish for. The best thing that happened in his life. In his more than twenty years of living in this world, he finally found someone to finally live on with, happily.

 

He carefully retracted his arm although he still wanted to cuddle with his girl. He wanted to make a surprise, a breakfast maybe? He smiled at the thought of Mina’s wonderful expression every time he surprises her even with little things.

 

From the bed, he noticed Mina’s laptop switched on for who knows how. He was to turn it off when the black screen revealed Mina’s e-mail. He did not planned to read her mails. He did not intended that his index moved its curiosity and click one to open. One after another, he scrolled down up to the oldest mail of that certain sender and he wished he never touched this laptop. All regrets was found when his heart shattered into pieces, not because of jealousy but because of guilt.

 

-

 

“Why are you acting like that Dahyun?”

 

He was hesitant to share someone else life but as he looked at Mina whose orbs are full of misery, he cannot do it anymore. He sighed as he started, “I’m telling you something but don’t ever interrupt me, okay?” the others nodded and he began for real pitying both Mina and Chaeyoung.

 

He exhaled long, “Chaeyoung had a brother… by ‘had’, I meant he’s already dead. At such young age, he left this world. He was very nice to him even when they don’t really talk to each other. He would secretly send gifts during special occasions but Chaeng knew it came from him. And that cub would care for him on his own ways.” Dahyun looked at the girls who were intently listening as he breathe.

 

“For example,” he carefully resumed, “he gave up his feelings for this certain girl named Im Nayeon who was head over heels for his brother and most likely his brother felt he same.”

 

Mina’s, Sana’s and Momo’s stomach churned up at the mention of Im Nayeon. Mina felt dizzy as she started to remember vaguely this girl who was trying to shake her relationship with Jeongyeon on its first months. The two other girls noticed the change in Mina’s expression. They all knew who was this Im Nayeon—Jeongyeon’s ex-girlfriend before Mina.

 

“Wa-was he named…” Sana was a bit hesitant, “J-Jeong...yeon? Yoo Jeongyeon?”

 

Dahyun nodded.

 

There was a deafening silence and a heart was broken.

 

“Wha-What a small world…” Sana gasped.

 

“I didn’t expect it to be like this. When we caught up with each other last time, he was really thanking Jeongyeon as he took his advice to work here and especially that day, Mina,” he faced her, “when you first met. It was Jeongyeon who told Chaeyoung to find someone for him to grant a wish.”

 

Mina furrowed her eyebrows with the statement, “what do you mean?”

 

“Oh. It was weird for me at first too but have you heard about ‘LetterMeLater’? The site where—“

 

Sana interrupted Dahyun with a shaky voice, “where you send an email to someone for a particular date…” when he confirmed, she naturally enveloped Mina into her arms. Mina wasn’t supposed to cry, but with her cousin’s gesture, she did, again.

 

She felt controlled by Jeongyeon. Her meeting with Chaeyoung felt scripted by Jeongyeon. Yeah, he wanted to become a scriptwriter, right? There he was. A great scriptwriter who made Mina, his ex-girlfriend and Chaeyoung, his brother meet and get close. It felt everything was fake. He made Mina and Chaeyoung his lead actor and actress, Milan as setting, everyone as supporting actors and the story by Yoo Jeongyeon. It must be some plot he wrote during high school. Was he just playing with her?

 

She clutched the clothe she held on Sana’s back.

 

-

 

“What are you going to do now?” Sana asked after they reached their home, still with Chaeyoung missing.

 

Mina was silent. She doesn’t know what to do. She started to question everything that happen in the past few months, everything including her feelings for Chaeyoung.

 

If being silent for the longest time would be a competition, Mina would certainly win. wants to say something, but she just don’t know what to say in this situation she never had.

 

“Mina…” Jihyo held her hand and squeezed lightly, pitying her friend.

 

Another tear left her eyes that day, “I’m sorry…” she felt apologetic for being like this.

 

“What are you sorry for?! Nothing is your fault!”

 

“It’s- it’s just that I don’t know what to say. I-I thought… I thought everything’s alright then suddenly…” Mina can’t keep her tears again as she covered trying to suppress her cries. “, suddenly everything felt fake.”

 

Two pairs of arms were there to embrace a broken lady. Wanting to soothe by some piece of words but not knowing if it’s applicable to tell ‘it’s alright’.

 

A whole day passed with a dull atmosphere in their house.

 

No sign of Chaeyoung. None at all.

 

-

 

“So what’s your plan, huh?!” a raging Dahyun’s currently grabbing the collar of a seemingly lifeless Chaeyoung. “Are you going to be a coward again?! I know you’re suffering too but, if you only saw how Mina broke down in front of us…”

 

Chaeyoung can’t look at Dahyun in the eye. Afraid. Ashamed. And yes, a coward. A loser trying to run out of the reality he can’t possibly turn back. The responsibility, the formed love between him and her. But what about his big brother?

 

Dahyun let go of his friend when he saw his tears falling. “I’m sorry. I just don’t want you to do the same mistake anymore. Especially when Jeongyeon is not here anymore.”

 

He sat down beside the unresponsive Chaeyoung who have felt a weak feeling on his knees.

 

 “Don’t you think it’s unfair for Mina? You just left like that. If not for your co-worker, I would have not found you in this inn. A bad inn, nonetheless.” He whispered the last part while scrunching his nose. “, but seriously dude, just because she was your brother’s ex-girlfriend?”

 

“That was it. She was my brother’s ex-girlfriend.” Chaeyoung finally spoke.

 

“Yeah. She was.” Dahyun refuted, emphasizing his last word.

 

Chaeyoung shook his head, “no, no. I’m like betraying my own broth—“

 

“What the? When it was Nayeon, you did not even confess because you said he was liked by Jeongyeon. And now you have Mina, you’re running away because she was his girlfriend even when he’s already gone?!”

 

“I know he’s gone but, with those e-mails, those past few years, I felt like he’s still here.”

 

“You are so stubborn.”

 

“I know that, too. I’m sorry.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter