Chapter 9: Control & Cuddles

We're Stuck at an Impasse (Can This Last?)

Tiffany loved being in control. She thrived on the power that was handed to her whenever she was given a task that allowed her to manage things or the people around her. Back in college, whenever her friends asked her why she took the part-time job at the library, she would say it was for the extra dough, but in reality, she took great pleasure in sorting out the books back to their proper order. So it was no surprise that her first occupation fresh out of university had something to do with event planning.
 

Event planning helped satiate the control freak within her, but her true passion was fashion, and so she was very grateful that she now had the opportunity to work in a job that catered to the two things she enjoyed.
 

With her love for control, it was no wonder why she didn’t get along with Kim Taeyeon, because Kim Taeyeon, from their very first meeting, made Tiffany feel like she had no semblance of control. The smallest things Taeyeon did easily riled her up and annoyed her, and it was very confusing for Tiffany because she was usually a very calm person. Therefore, she tried her best to stay away from Kim Taeyeon and her knack for making Tiffany lose control.
 

As the years passed, they both matured, and Tiffany thought that maybe Taeyeon didn’t have that strange hold on her anymore, so she attempted to mend their relationship (or lack thereof), but sadly, circumstances always seemed to get the better of the both of them. Until now.
 

But now, Tiffany realized that as much as they both had grown up, Taeyeon still embodied something that baffled Tiffany and made the latter do things she never thought she would do. Like turning tail and running away after seeing Taeyeon with a date. Like staring at her phone for hours, wondering why she didn’t have the nerve to send one measly text. Like missing out on three group lunches because the thought of seeing Taeyeon made close up and her body break out in hives. Like easily accepting Taeyeon’s brief but sincere apology without making the latter suffer even just a little bit.
 

Her actions puzzled herself, but she couldn’t control them. It was scary, but it was also kind of thrilling. Because Kim Taeyeon wasn’t whom Tiffany thought she was. Not really. She was actually so much more.
 

The number one reason why Tiffany was turned off by Taeyeon’s personality years ago was because the latter seemed so cold. She was warm and affectionate towards their friends, yet so aloof and apathetic towards Tiffany. But now Tiffany knew that Taeyeon’s off-putting demeanor was mostly due to her shyness, since she didn’t really know Tiffany all that well.
 

Since they’d gotten to know each other better these past few weeks, Taeyeon slowly warmed up to her, and now, Tiffany didn’t have to dominate their dialogue. Taeyeon was cheerful and chatty, and Tiffany enjoyed her company immensely. Even when they were only talking through the phone (or through sending back-and-forth funny videos), Tiffany could feel how Taeyeon genuinely enjoyed conversing with her. And that made her very happy, because it meant that Taeyeon was now more comfortable around her.
 

Although Tiffany had caught a glimpse of it before, during that time when she was sick, she never realized just how caring Taeyeon could be. She would always ask if Tiffany was cold, and would lend her her signature leather jacket if the brunette meekly nodded an affirmative. Even though Tiffany would tell Taeyeon that she was in charge of choosing the restaurant or movie that day (a rare feat, but Tiffany was trying her best to withdraw her need for control and begin letting Taeyeon decide on more things), Taeyeon would still always ask her if she was okay with her decision (though Tiffany had never once said she wasn’t). Even though this could be considered as a small act of empathy, Tiffany would always feel touched each time Taeyeon did it.
 

The last (for now) and most surprising thing Tiffany learned about Taeyeon was that she was a Cuddler, with a capital ‘C.’ It began with subtle arm brushing, moving on to actual hand holding, and now, it was impossible for them to not at least be touching in some way or another every time they’re beside each other. Tiffany didn’t hate it, hell no; she liked it. She more than liked it—she thrived on it. The movie they were watching became a little better once Taeyeon leaned her head against Tiffany’s shoulder. The cold draft became a little less cold once Taeyeon intertwined their fingers.
 

Tiffany loved feeling in control, but she was losing it little by little to tiny, y Kim Taeyeon. Because it was getting more and more difficult for her to remember why she shouldn’t lean even closer to the woman attached to her neck and shoulder. She had to consciously stop herself from tracing the back of Taeyeon’s hand with her thumb every time they held hands. She knew it was okay to do so; it’s not really weird for skinship to go that far between friends, but she didn’t know why she never took the next step.
 

Okay, so Tiffany kind of knew. It’s because such acts were beginning to mean something more to her. It was scary. She wanted to control her feelings, sort them all out and magically throw the sketchy ones into the bag labeled ‘FRIENDSHIP,’ but she couldn’t. And heck, she kind of didn’t even want to.


A/N:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIPPANIIIIII~

I'm totally on updating and just writing anything in general, but IT'S TIFFANY QUEEN HWANG'S BIRTHDAY SO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯