Chapter 4: Surprises & Strangers

We're Stuck at an Impasse (Can This Last?)

Tiffany triple-checked the address Jessica had texted her as she looked up at the structure before her. Once she was certain that it was the one, she made her way inside. The hall was warm, had high ceilings, and seemed to be well-maintained. She took a cursory look around as she found a seat at one of the couches in the lobby.
 

Tiffany had never been inside Taeyeon’s building before, and she was eager to finally catch a glimpse of Taeyeon’s apartment. She placed the paper bag that she was holding beside her as she began to look through her contact list for Taeyeon’s name and number.
 

Only now was she going to text Taeyeon to see if she were home, but it was mostly because Tiffany had just decided to surprise the blonde half an hour ago.
 

They had become more pleasant to each other ever since the photoshoot, although those friendly exchanges only happened during the group hangouts. They never actually texted each other nor did they ever spend time alone together, save for that late lunch they had taken after the shoot. These facts were what had brought Tiffany to Taeyeon’s lobby tonight.
 

Tiffany wanted to give Taeyeon another gummy-filled gift to thank the latter for the success of the magazine shoot, as well as to properly ask her if they could start contacting each other through texts and calls.
 

This was honestly new territory for Tiffany; she never had to ask permission for texting her friends, but somehow, she felt like she had to ask Taeyeon. They were already quite comfortable with each other, but Tiffany didn’t want to ruin it by being too forward, in case Taeyeon was still hesitant.
 

Tiffany was nervous, to say the least, and it stumped her. She felt like she was overthinking this, but she justified it as her being careful.
 

As Tiffany began to formulate her message, the entrance doors opened, and in walked the supposed recipient of her text.
 

Tiffany looked up and stared as Taeyeon walked in with a pretty stranger beside her. They both had smiles on their faces, and the blonde was too preoccupied with chatting with the woman to notice the seated brunette watching their exchanges silently. Although there wasn’t any intimate contact, Tiffany immediately knew that the other woman wasn’t with Taeyeon for business reasons.
 

Tiffany looked on as they both got on the elevator across from her. The last thing she saw as the elevator doors closed was the stranger leaning in towards the side of Taeyeon’s face. Tiffany immediately stood up at that, and she almost forgot to take the paper bag with her as she hurriedly left the building.
 

As she briskly walked through the streets, with the cold fall wind whipping around her, Tiffany contemplated on her own confusing reaction.
 

She knew that she should have intercepted Taeyeon in the lobby and handed the candy over, and then proceeded to ask her if she could text and call her. It wasn’t like there was anything romantic about her request, and knowing how shameless she could be sometimes, she was sure that if it were another friend, she wouldn’t have thought twice of interrupting their date, since she was already in the area and it would be an inconvenience for her not to. So why was she running away?
 

Why couldn’t she stop looping the last thing she saw in that elevator in her mind? Why couldn’t she stop wondering whether or not the girl leaned in to whisper something or kiss Taeyeon? And why was she dreading the fact that what happened was most probably the latter?


A/N:

Yo. Short update. It's not really short because I'm a tease, but it's honestly for the betterment of the continuity of the story. LOL. Promise!

Anddddd I hand to you oblivious denial-really-IS-just-a-river Fany. Take her. I don't want her back. LMAO.

Next update will be almost this short too. And then a longer one. But gah my hands just don't wanna type out fics right now I'm sorry D: