Chapter 11: Inebriation & Impression

We're Stuck at an Impasse (Can This Last?)

Taeyeon felt an overwhelming sense of déjà vu wash over her.
 

Her heart was thumping loudly against her chest, surprisingly louder than the bass vibrating through the speakers in the club.
 

The déjà vu wasn’t because of the nervousness she felt nor the clammy jittering of her heart and mind. Instead, what was similar and so clear was the want she felt for the girl smiling with the rest of her friends as she let loose on the dance floor.
 

Taeyeon was trying incredibly hard not to stare like a thirsty weirdo, but how could she not stare at those wavy dark brown locks hypnotically whipping about as the woman jumped around and twirled to the beat of the song? How could Taeyeon's breath not catch each time she caught a glimpse of that cherry red smile and those sparkling eyes? How could she not stare as Tiffany made all the Neanderthals around her stare as well?
 

Taeyeon was screwed. Taeyeon wanted to screw Tiffany. Oh. .
 

Taeyeon audibly gulped and turned away to reach for her last shot of tequila. She knew she shouldn’t consume any more alcohol because she was clearly intoxicated to the point where everything about Tiffany screamed ‘UAL,’ but she needed something to occupy herself with in order to stop gawking at the brunette.
 

Which obviously didn’t work as she had immediately gone back to watching Tiffany after on a wedge of lime.
 

It was wrong. They were friends. It was so wrong how she so badly wanted to cross that line and woo Tiffany into oblivion.
 

Her longing was worsened by the fact that she hadn’t seen Tiffany since the night when they had almost kissed, which was exactly a week ago.
 

They hadn’t exactly gone radio silent on each other; Tiffany would still message her a good morning, and they would still send videos and talk throughout the day. They never brought up that night again, other than Tiffany's question of “Did you get home safely?” the morning after.
 

Although their conversations barely dwindled, Taeyeon felt an awkward shift in the atmosphere, and she was sure Tiffany had felt it too. How could Tiffany not when the incident had practically consumed Taeyeon's everyday thoughts?
 

But right now, what consumed Taeyeon's gut were flaming sparks as she watched a sweaty, disgusting man squeeze his way through the crowd and make a pass at Tiffany. Just the thought of him getting his hands on the brunette had Taeyeon abandoning her post at the bar and stalking her way through the crowded dance floor, albeit a little clumsily.
 

By the time she got within proximity, the man was trying to strike a conversation with Tiffany, leaning a little too close for comfort as he pretended he needed to do that in order to be heard by the woman. Taeyeon wanted to swat his entire being away.
 

“Dance with me,” she heard the man ask (more like order). He really didn’t need to lean that close to her because Taeyeon could hear him absolutely well and good a meter away. Taeyeon gritted her teeth in annoyance.
 

“I’m your dance partner for the rest of the night, remember?” Taeyeon loudly interjected as she got in between them. Maybe a little too loudly, because the rest of their friends definitely heard her, a shocked silence reigning upon the group.
 

But all Taeyeon could focus on was Tiffany, who was staring at her in surprise, and maybe a little bit of disbelief, because Taeyeon rarely went out to the dance floor during such events. The blonde preferred to people-watch and drink herself in amusement as she observed her friends slowly go through the entire spectrum of drunkenness.
 

Even so, Tiffany understood her intentions clearly and shot her a small, grateful smile before turning back to the confused man. “Yeah, I’m hers for the rest of the night. Sorry.”
 

Taeyeon was sure that she wasn’t the only one stunned by Tiffany's bold statement. She fought back a huge smile as her heart fluttered in response to Tiffany's reply.
 

Thankfully, the guy knew when to back off and cut his losses, leaving Taeyeon standing awkwardly beside Tiffany. Now that the guy wasn’t around, Taeyeon made a mental review of her earlier statement and realized the consequences of what she had said. And Tiffany seemed to be thinking the same thing, what with the very amused and teasing look she was shooting Taeyeon's way.
 

“Are you really going to dance with me?” Tiffany asked her, almost challengingly.
 

Taeyeon opened to say something, but Hyoyeon interrupted her. “You can’t back out now!”
 

“I didn’t plan to,” Taeyeon shot back, earning herself more raised eyebrows from the gang, but she didn’t care about what they thought. Not really. All that mattered was what Tiffany thought. “…Do you mind?” She asked the brunette, turning to the latter once again.
 

“Are you kidding me, Taeyeon?” Tiffany laughed. “Of course I don’t mind!”
 

Taeyeon shot her a relieved smile, and Tiffany gave her a bright one of her own.
 

Just in time, a new song began to blast through the speakers, drawing several excited whoops from the inebriated crowd as most people recognized the catchy beat.
 

Taeyeon her lips nervously and stood there, frozen and unsure. She danced from time-to-time, sure, especially when she was under the influence of a few tequila shots, but Tiffany was in front of her right now, watching her every move. Taeyeon willed her feet to take a step and go with the beat of the song, but there really was something incredibly nerve-wracking about your crush just staring at you, waiting for you to dance.
 

Thankfully, Tiffany understood her enough, although it did earn her another amused laugh from the brunette.
 

“Let me teach you how to drunk-dance, Kim Taeyeon,” Tiffany said as she lifted Taeyeon’s frozen arms from her sides and placed them on her own hips. Taeyeon in a breath as she felt the warmth of Tiffany's skin through her blue dress. Her fingers twitched with an impulsive desire to caress Tiffany's curves, but she held herself back. Barely.
 

Tiffany leaned in to playfully murmur in her ear. “You move your hips like this.”
 

Taeyeon couldn’t help but keep a firm hold as Tiffany alluringly swayed her hips from side-to-side, perfectly matching the beat of the song. Taeyeon dazedly blinked her eyes away from Tiffany's hypnotizing movement and looked up to see the taller girl smirking down at her. Tiffany's eyes were practically glowing, indicating that she was clearly at the buzzed-to-tipsy side of the drunken scale. Her playfulness also clued Taeyeon in, as Tiffany didn’t seem to be the least bit hesitant to tease (more like seduce) the blonde while their friends were just several feet away from them.
 

Taeyeon didn’t mind though. Not at all. Not when Tiffany leaned in, their foreheads almost touching, their breaths practically mingling with each other. Not when Tiffany's eyes focused their gaze down to her lips, much like how they did a week ago when they were in Tiffany's kitchen.
 

“Guys! It’s our song! Let’s—“
 

And much like last week, another stupid person just had to interrupt them.
 

Taeyeon and Tiffany both hesitantly leaned away from each other at the sound of Sooyoung’s voice, although Taeyeon kept her hands on Tiffany's hips, deciding that she should keep holding on as long as she was permitted to.
 

They turned to witness a befuddled look take over Sooyoung’s face, along with a raised eyebrow. “Did I interrupt something…?”
 

Taeyeon's breath stopped at Tiffany's next words.
 

“Yeah, you kinda did,” Tiffany shot back with a slightly annoyed tone. Now both of Sooyoung’s eyebrows were raised way up.
 

“O…kay…” Thankfully, Sooyoung wasn’t able to say anything else, as Yoona had tugged her back to the group with a “Just leave the lovebirds alone, unnie!”
 

Taeyeon bit back a smile as she turned her attention back to the taller woman in front of her. But she couldn’t hold back her grin when she saw Tiffany smiling down at her, no longer teasingly. Just a genuine, soft smile, which was such a huge contrast to the blaringly noisy club they were currently in.
 

Then one of Taeyeon's arms that were still comfortably wrapped around Tiffany's waist (seriously, she could keep them there for an eternity) was tugged by the latter, leading the both of them away from the drunken mess of bodies on the dancefloor.
 

Taeyeon breathed a sigh of relief once they made their way out of the almost-suffocating throng of people. She shivered as the cold air rushed through her slightly sweaty and heated skin while she continued to unerringly follow Tiffany towards the bar.
 

It was easy for them to find a seat next to each other as most of the people had occupied the dancefloor. Tiffany ordered another shot of tequila for herself and asked for Taeyeon's order with a slight lift of her brows, but Taeyeon shook her head in refusal. Taeyeon liked the state she was in right now, and she was sure that one more shot would most likely mess her up.
 

They sat in silence until Tiffany's drink came. Taeyeon couldn’t stop herself from appreciating the sight of Tiffany's long, extended neck as the latter gulped down her shot expertly. Tiffany shot her an amused smirk, letting her know that she was privy to her unabashed gawking, but Taeyeon didn’t mind. Tiffany was beautiful, and damn if she didn’t let her know. “You look gorgeous tonight. I mean you always do, but…I just wanted to let you know.”
 

Taeyeon gave herself a mental high-five when Tiffany's smirk softened into a warm and shy smile at her compliment. “You…you’re gorgeous too, Taeyeon. Always. But…this dress.” The blonde’s breath caught in as Tiffany reached down and flirted with the hem of her mid-thigh-length black dress, slowly rubbing the fabric between her two fingers. “This dress…is…wow. I guess I’m used to seeing you in jeans, so this is a really nice surprise.”
 

“…I wore it for you.”
 

Now it was Tiffany's turn to gawk at her, albeit in confusion. “What? Why?”
 

“Because I wanted you to look at me the way you did just a few seconds ago.”
 

Tiffany gave a sharp exhale at Taeyeon's words, understanding dawning in her eyes, but also a thoughtful looking coming over her face as she looked back down at the dress hugging Taeyeon's petite curves in just the right manner. The brunette shook her head with a slight smile, continuing to rub her fingers at the fabric. Taeyeon clenched her jaw when Tiffany's fingers brushed against her bare thigh, and she wondered if it was intentional. “Taeyeon-ah.”
 

“Hmm?” Taeyeon murmured distractedly, still hypnotized by Tiffany's occupied hand.
 

“You don’t have to impress me, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany looked deeply into her eyes, trying to convey how much she meant her words. “You could wear a potato sack and it wouldn’t matter to me.”
 

Taeyeon didn’t know how long they sat there, staring at each other after Tiffany's weighty statement. Just a few months ago, they barely spared each other a glance, and when they did, it was a scathing one. But now, here they were, shamelessly flirting with each other, yet in such a sincere way that it was almost indescribably amazing how genuine and right it all was. Alcohol may be involved at the moment, but Taeyeon believed it only helped them be a little bit more honest with each other. Bless this liquid courage.
 

And with the courage given to her by Jose Cuervo, Taeyeon said her next words to Tiffany without any hesitation. “Do you want to get out of here?”


A/N:

!!!!!!

Yeyyyy I finally spat this chapter out!!! I've written this one halfway for so long, and I can't believe I finished it a day after hearing the saddest news in the world. =_=

I almost wanted to stop writing anything TaeNy altogether after hearing about it because I was too emotional, but after sleeping on it, I realized "Why should I stop writing for a ship that is and will forever be canon?" Even if it's just legit friendship between them, then that's still amazing. They're still BFFs for life no matter how far away they are from each other; it's just sad that we most probably won't be able to witness it publicly. *sighs for a thousand years*

Anyway, I hope you guys are still up for this fic (I added more fluffy shizz to the previous plot in my mind and it always makes me feel giddy with excitement knowing that you will be able to read it soon). Expect at least 5 more chapters before I end this? ^^

I shall not abandon ship! And you shouldn't too!

Wow, I feel like I'm campaigning for something HAHAHAHAHA.

Thank you, as always, for reading. :)