Chapter 7: Flowers & Forgiveness

We're Stuck at an Impasse (Can This Last?)

Taeyeon had the urge to throw up every few hours. To just spew out jets of disgusting bolus and chyme onto any God-given surface. Maybe then she’d feel better.
 

She never knew how poisonous guilt could be, how it could make someone toss and turn in restless slumber, brain working in overdrive and gut churning in trepidation.
 

The guilt grew two-fold each time Tiffany missed a lunch out with the group. And that had already happened thrice.
 

Taeyeon had anticipated how Tiffany would march in there and lash out at her, and then demand an apology Taeyeon would impassionedly give her. But Tiffany always seemed to keep Taeyeon on her toes, doing things the latter never expected from her.
 

Taeyeon had always regarded Tiffany as impenetrable and invincible. When something had troubled her, she took it in stride and fixed the problem as efficiently as she could. When she was sad, all it took was a night out with her friends, and at least one genuine eye smile would eventually make its way to her face by the end of the night. But Taeyeon realized that she didn’t know what Tiffany did when she was hurt. Well, now she knew.
 

Taeyeon knew it was easy to just go to Tiffany’s office or apartment and apologize, but she kept making excuses for herself. Excuses such as ‘She’ll definitely come to lunch, and I’ll apologize then’ and ‘She can’t miss out three times in a row. She’ll be there, and I can say sorry then.’ Excuses that were unconditionally idiotic and irrelevant. It still didn’t stop her from making them, though.
 

But during the evening of the third time Tiffany missed out on lunch, Taeyeon was not only hit with guilt-administered nausea, but also so much self-resentment. And fear. Fear that maybe Tiffany didn’t deserve to be friends with someone with the likes of her, a ‘friend’ who couldn’t even cough up an apology that would’ve taken less than five seconds of her time. A friend who had insulted a part of her personality that she never really had any control over. It’s not like Tiffany wanted to be loud; it’s as much a part of her as her eye smiles and caring nature. It’s part of the Tiffany Hwang Package and Taeyeon knew that Tiffany wouldn’t be Tiffany without all those characteristics combined.
 

So, Taeyeon vowed to find Tiffany tomorrow and apologize. Not just for that rude remark, but also for taking so long to say sorry.
 

And then Taeyeon realized she couldn’t do it. Not tomorrow. Now. She had to do it now. If it would make Tiffany happier sooner, then Taeyeon wasn’t going to wait for the sun to rise.
 

In less than an hour, she was standing outside of Tiffany’s condominium. The friendly doorman recognized her and allowed her entry without bothering to contact Tiffany. This was good, because Taeyeon wasn’t sure if Tiffany would have let her come up to her floor if she had announced her presence.
 

Before she rang the doorbell, Taeyeon made sure that the gifts she had brought would cover up most of her face.
 

The muffled clicking of heels made Taeyeon’s heart pound in tense anticipation, and she fought back the sudden surge of adrenaline that was yelling at her to choose flight instead of fight.
 

Too late, as Tiffany finally came into view, wearing her work clothes and a small frown.
 

All Tiffany could really see was a huge arrangement of pink roses and carnations, as well as a paper bag of nearly the same size held up in front of a seemingly petite frame. Tiffany looked down and knew immediately who it was, judging by the well-fitting leather jacket and Converse sneakers.
 

Taeyeon bit back a gasp at the sensation of warm hands tugging down her wrists, and she anxiously blinked up at Tiffany, whose stature seemed to be much more intimidating than usual.
 

Tiffany raised one daunting eyebrow at her, and Taeyeon gulped nervously. “H-hi,” was all she could stutter.
 

Taeyeon swore Tiffany fought back a smile. “Hi?”
 

“Yes. Hi.”
 

Before Tiffany could remark on her sudden lack of communication skills, Taeyeon unceremoniously shoved the flowers and the bag towards Tiffany. Who didn’t take them and instead crossed her arms in defiance.
 

Taeyeon sighed and dropped her arms to her sides. Everything she had rehearsed for countless hours flew out the window. Honest. Just be honest.
 

“I’m sorry. Really, really sorry.” Taeyeon saw Tiffany’s rigid posture relax a little, as well as the slight melting of Tiffany’s frigid eyes, and that gave her the confidence to continue.
 

“For not apologizing sooner, for making that rude comment. It wasn’t even true, Fany!” Taeyeon hesitated, not sure if she still had the right to call Tiffany that moniker. “I…I kind of like your loudness. It’s so…you. Plus, it makes it easier for me to find our group whenever we’re at parties or something. Almost like a radar. Haha…” Taeyeon looked into Tiffany’s eyes for reassurance, but Tiffany stared impassively back at her, making her squirm a little.
 

She didn’t know what else to say, how to make it right. She lifted up the bouquet again. “It’s pink. All pink. Well, maybe except for the leaves and stems, but…”
 

Taeyeon almost cried in sheer joy when Tiffany finally took the flowers from her. Next, she lifted up the paper bag. “This one’s grilled eel. The amount could probably feed you for an entire week.” Taeyeon bit back a grin when Tiffany took the bag from her, too; Taeyeon knew that Tiffany had a preference for such seafood.
 

And then, silence. Tiffany was looking through the bag and smelling the fragrant flowers, but she didn’t say a single word, leaving Taeyeon to shuffle her feet outside the entrance, as Tiffany still hadn’t invited her past the doorframe.
 

Taeyeon suddenly couldn’t stop from talking. “I ate the candy you gave me, by the way! My teeth didn’t rot, thankfully, but I had to brush my teeth more so than usual. I’ve finished them all, except for the Harry Potter jelly beans. My God, some of those were so vile, I—“
 

“Taeyeon.”
 

Taeyeon promptly shut with an audible click, amusing the brunette before her.
 

Suddenly, Tiffany held out her hand. Taeyeon stared at it. Stared some more. Until it finally registered. Oh. Oh. She wants me to…
 

Taeyeon tentatively held up her right hand, and Tiffany gripped it with her own. The warmth that suffused through Tiffany’s smooth palm and fingers absolved Taeyeon of her sins. Gone was the guilt-induced nausea. She internally smacked herself for making things so difficult for the both of them.
 

Tiffany led her inside the condo, juggling with safely placing the gifts on her dining table with one arm, since she still hadn’t let go of Taeyeon’s hand.
 

After putting the paper bag down, Tiffany left Taeyeon to walk towards the kitchen sink. She picked up an empty vase and began filling it with water for the flowers. She turned back around to flash Taeyeon a quick smile. Like nothing negative had transpired between them for weeks. Like Taeyeon hadn’t hurt her with lashing words and self-proclaimed cowardice. It baffled Taeyeon how Tiffany could be so forgiving towards her, but maybe that’s just who Tiffany was. Maybe all she really needed was a sorry from Taeyeon, because as much as words could hurt, words could also heal.
 

“I’m sorry…what?” Taeyeon realized that Tiffany had asked her a question and she was spacing out for the most of it.
 

“I asked if you’ve already eaten dinner,” Tiffany reiterated, amusement lighting her eyes.
 

“Oh. Oh, no. Not yet.”
 

“Then have dinner with me. You gave me a week’s worth of eel, anyway.”
 

“Ah…right…umm…”
 

Tiffany looked at her curiously. “You don’t like eel?”
 

“Well…it’s not that I don’t like the taste; I just don’t like the left-over bones you end up chewing along with it.”
 

Tiffany hummed in response, mulling over Taeyeon’s words. “Okay. Can you give me five minutes?” Tiffany laughed softly at Taeyeon’s confused gaze. “I’m just going to change clothes so we can eat outside.”
 

“Ohhh. Oh. Okay.”
 

As Tiffany closed the door of her bedroom behind her, Taeyeon plopped down on the couch and made herself comfortable. And it wasn’t difficult to do so; Tiffany’s place was as homey as it had been a few weeks ago. The scent that wafted around the apartment was still indecipherable to Taeyeon, but it smelled like a spice of some sort, mixed with something soothing. Taeyeon realized that she liked the smell. Really liked it.
 

And then Taeyeon realized that she liked Tiffany. Really liked her. She vowed to watch her words carefully, and to try her best not to hurt her again.


A/N:

Just.....gonna leave this here LOL!

Yey! They're okay now! I ensure you 2 fluffy chapters after this HAHAHA XD