Chapter 2

Are You Happy Now?

 

Chapter 2:

 

Kyunsoo is beginning to regret his decision of letting Jong-in convince him to do something on the his day off that isn’t sleeping, reading a book, or maybe watching an episode of some random anime that has a mix of comedy and fantasy; anything that doesn't deal with reality. He isn't sure that Jongin cares where they’re going as long as someone goes with him because right now they’re just wandering around.

"What is it you want to do exactly?" Kyungsoo asks again, hands deep in his pockets to keep them from swinging like Jongin's as he walks.

"You'll see," he says in reply and that is where Kyungsoo's problem lays. He isn't sure what Jongin has in mind but judging from the secrecy of the whole thing it's bound to be something Kyungsoo might not enjoy. Who knows?

Kyungsoo sighs and rolls his eyes but keeps following steadily behind Jongin, keeping a few feet distance between them just in case Jongin has to stop abruptly, which has already happened a few times when something catches Jongin's eye. It's of course flashy because Jongin's a simpleton who's attracted to shiny things (and everyone thought Chanyeol was bad).

Kyungsoo casts a glance skyward, but makes sure to keep an eye out in front of him. It’s cloudy and the sun is blocked making it seem as if the day has already passed and it’s almost dark. The wind feels cool on parts of his uncovered skin and he relishes in the feeling of it. It isn’t as bright or as blaring hot as he wants it to be, but it’s cool and comforting and it’s enough. He sidesteps a water hydrant and almost bumps into Jongin who’s now trying to walk alongside him.

“You’re so slow, hyung,” he admonishes with a grin, that screams devious, as he tilts his head towards Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo squints his eye in a glare that comes out more fondly exasperated than insulted and annoyed.

“Maybe if we had a destination in mind…” he says trailing off and letting the silent ‘then I probably be moving a little faster’, drift between them. Jongin huffs at him, but smiles as he walks further ahead with a skip in his step. Kyungsoo shakes his head at his own despair.

-

Kyungsoo is relived immensely when he notices the place Jongin takes him. It’s a quaint little restaurant that Kyungsoo’s been dying to go to on his day off. He remembers faintly mentioning it in passing to Jongin a few months ago. Well, now he knows.

Jongin is looking at him from the corner of his eye and Kyungsoo sees a self satisfied smile sliding onto his face at Kyungsoo’s surprised silence. Kyungsoo lets him pat himself mentally on the back for doing something to astound Kyungsoo to the point of surprised silence before he speaks.

“So, are we going in or did you just want to show me that you actually do listen when I speak?”

Jongin pouts at that but nonetheless takes the lead.

-

It’s nice and quiet. Not too crowded so the risk of being noticed can be avoided, and it’s comfortable. They take a seat in the back and get comfortable before ordering. This restaurant specializes in different types of pasta from around the world. He had heard about it from a friend of Junmyeon’s.Scrolling down the menu he notes the different types of pasta’s he’s never heard of before and the ones he has. He stops on a specific one: spaghetti. He of course wasn’t going to order that but the idea of trying someone else’s version was tempting. He instead went with something that he had been waiting to try.

“I’ll have the spaghetti,” Jongin says, startling Kyung-soo out of his thoughts and almost making him snort with laughter.

“Ah, okay, and what will you be having,” the waiter, Kyungsoo didn’t even notice standing by their table, asks and Kyungsoo almost blurts out spaghetti in a panic before he stops himself.

“I’ll have the fettuccine alfredo,” he says instead and Jongin looks across from him confused. He’s probably wondering why Kyungsoo also didn’t order the spaghetti and Kyungsoo almost calls him an idiot for thinking he’ll order something he’s already tried, before he remembers he was just about to do that.

“And that’ll be all?” the waiter asks and they nod.

“Ok, I’ll be back around with some appetizers and some water-“

“Coke,” Jongin says and Kyungsoo instinctively rolls his eyes.

“Right,” the waiter says, snapping closed the black booklet he’s holding. He gestures for the menus and they hand it over to him before he walks off.

Kyungsoo sighs and slightly slumps back in his seat when his back begins to ache, before he looks over at Jongin; who is surprisingly looking right back at him, eyes glittering with amusement.

“So,” he asks expectantly, lips lifting into a smile and Kyungsoo sighs again before nodding.

“It’s nice,” he says taking in the restaurant one more time with its soft burgundy red walls, its quiet atmosphere and patrons who sit cuddled close with their heads down while they enjoy their meals. Something in his chest shakes when he notices it’s mostly couples he’s staring at before it stills and he’s looking back at Jongin.

“That’s all?” Jongin says when the attention is back on him.

“I didn’t try the food yet,” Kyungsoo says and Jongin blinks a few times before nodding thoughtfully.

“Oh, right,” Jongin says, an embarrassed flush rising in his checks before he averts his eyes to something behind Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo smiles feeling something light and warm flitter in his chest and a little of the weight on his shoulders is lifted. Just a little.