III - Priorities

[DubChaeng: One shots/Short Stories]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun looked at her phone again.

‘Still no text from her.’ she thought and sighed

A thud beside her made her look at it and saw her bestfriend looking frustrated.

“What’s wrong?”

“I can’t believe this students’ mistakes. It’s like basics.”

“Some students are not genius like you, Chaeyoung.”

“Yeah, I know. But it’s basics, Dahyunnie. BASICS.”

“Geez. Calm down.”

Chaeyoung took off her glasses and look at Dahyun.

“How about you? What’s wrong?”

“My girlfriend isn’t texting me again.”

“Maybe she’s busy with the Council.”

“Again. It’s always the Council.”

“Come on. Sana unnie is the Council’s President. Ofcourse, she’s always busy.”

“But…”

“Hmmm?”

“You’re always busy too.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re always busy being the Class President and the tutor of some students. Then, how come you always make time for me?”

Chaeyoung chuckled and ruffled Dahyun’s hair making Dahyun’s blush but pout at the same time.

“Stop being sulky, Dahyunnie. You’re older than me, for pete sake.”

“Fine.”

Chaeyoung wore her glasses again and started doing her works “I’ll treat you ice cream after this.”

“Yehey! That’s my bestfriend.”

After a few paper checking, Chaeyoung is finally finished. She stood up and grab her bag, so did Dahyun.

They walked outside the library when Dahyun received a text from Sana.

“Sorry, Chaeyoung.”

“Hmm?”

“Can you treat me next time? Sana unnie asked if I could wait for her so we can go home together.”

“Oh. Sure, sure.”

“Thanks. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine. She’s your girlfriend. Ofcourse, she’s your priority.”

“Yeah. Girlfriend duties.”

“Alright. I’ll leave now.”

“Bye. Take care.”

“You, too.” Chaeyoung said and turned around

Dahyun watched as Chaeyoung walked away from her until she was out of sight. She sighed and made her way to the Council’s office.

She opened the door and saw Sana and Tzuyu, the Vice-President, together. The two of them seems to be the only one left in the office.

“Hey, Dahyun unnie.” Tzuyu greeted

“Hey, Tzuyu.” Dahyun answered and made her way to Sana’s table. She sat down and kissed Sana. “You okay, unnie?”

“I’m fine, Dahyun ah. Did you have plans today?”

“Uhh…no.”

“I see. Can you wait after I’m done with this? Then, I’ll treat you to a date.”

“Oh. Okay.”

Dahyun watched as Sana finished her works. By the time Sana was done, it was already 7PM. One hour to go before Dahyun’s curfew.

“Let’s go?” Sana asked as she grab her bag

“Okay.” Dahyun answered and stood up

They went out of the Council room and walked outside the school towards the parking lot.

“So, where do you want to go?” Sana asked

“Anywhere, I guess.”

“Okay.”

They stopped at Sana’s car and rode. Sana drove towards a restaurant to have a dinner with Dahyun. She brought Dahyun to Im-Yoo Restaurant. Sana got out of the car and so did Dahyun. They went inside and ordered their food. They talked as they wait for their food.

“How was your day, Dahyun ah?”

“Just the same. How about you, unnie?”

“Tired from the council works. But, I’m fine.”

“I see.”

The food arrived and they started eating. But suddenly, Sana’s phone ringed.

“Excuse me.” Sana said and answered the call “Hello...Oh, Tzuyu ya. What’s wrong?...What? Alright…It’s fine. I’ll be there. Wait for me…Okay. See you.”

The call was ended and Sana looked at Dahyun apologetically.

“I’m sorry, Dahyun. Tzuyu left some of her works in the office. Only I have the key so I have to help her. I’ll make it up to you.” Sana said then kissed Dahyun “Bye. I love you.” she then stormed out of the restaurant, leaving Dahyun.

‘Again with the priority issues.’

Dahyun finished her meal and even paid for it. She walked out of the restaurant and grab her phone to answer a call.

“Hello?”

(Hey. Your mom texted me that you’re not home yet. Where are you?)

“Im-Yoo Restaurant.”

(You’re with Sana unnie?)

“Uhh…I was.”

(I see. Wait for me. I’ll be there in 10 minutes.)

Before Dahyun could answer, Chaeyoung ended the call. So, Dahyun sat at the bench outside the restaurant as she waited. After 10 minutes, a car stopped in front of her. The window rolled down, revealing Chaeyoung.

She got out of the car and opened the door to the passenger seat for Dahyun to enter. Dahyun blushed at Chaeyoung politeness. Sana never does this to her even though she’s the girlfriend.

“Thanks, Chae.” Dahyun said as she sat in the passenger seat

Chaeyoung smiled at her and nodded “This is what bestfriend are for.” Chaeyoung answered and closed the door.

She went back to the driver’s seat and drove off.

“So…what happened?”

“She left.”

“Council works again?”

“Yeah. I’m starting to think that she’s cheating on me with her council works.”

Chaeyoung laughed and put her right hand to Dahyun’s shoulder as her left hand steer the wheel. She pat Dahyun’s shoulder and pinched her cheeks too. Dahyun blushed for the third time (many times, already) today due to Chaeyoung.

“I told you to stop being sulky, didn’t I?”

“I can’t help it, Chae. It’s always ‘Me and Sana and her council works’. When will it be ‘Me and Sana’ with no council works?”

“It will be when Sana unnie graduates already.”

“That will be in 2 years.”

“Then, wait for 2 years.”

“You’re not cheering me up, Chaeyoung.”

“Opps. Sorry. Then to cheer you up, I’ll sing. Cheer up, baby! Cheer up, baby!”

Dahyun laughed and playfully slapped Chaeyoung’s shoulder.

“Stop it. I don’t want the sky to rain.” Dahyun joked

Chaeyoung laughed too and steered the wheel using her two hands.

“Fine, I’ll stop. But let me cheer you up with something instead.”

“What is it?”

“Open the compartment drawer.”

“Hmm? Okay.” Dahyun answered and opened it. Her eyes sparkled when she saw what was inside of it. “Chaeyoung ah…” Dahyun called lovingly.

“Enjoy it.”

Dahyun smiled and hugged Chaeyoung, making herself blush while she’s doing it.

“Ya! I’m driving!”

“Thank you. You’re the best.”

“Ofcourse, I am.”

Dahyun let go of Chaeyoung and looked at the compartment drawer that’s full of chocolates.

“How much did it cost you to put all of these here?”

“50 packs of different types of chocolates from different brands. I guess it cost me my monthly allowance.”

“You don’t have to, Chaeyoung.”

“I want to. And…that’s not all, Dahyunnie.”

“What? There’s more?”

“Yup. Take that blanket off from the backseat.”

Dahyun did take the blanket off and saw 7 huge boxes of choco pies hidden below it. Her heart melt due to Chaeyoung. ‘Who would do these kind of things to cheer someone up?’

“And…there goes another of my monthly allowance.” Chaeyoung joked causing Dahyun to looked at her immediately

“Don’t waste your allowance, Chaeyoung ah.”

“I’m kidding. That’s not from my monthly allowance.”

“Then, where?”

“I didn’t worked as a tutor for nothing.”

“What?”

“I worked as a tutor to buy some chocolates and choco pie. Ofcourse, for you.”

Dahyun smiled again. Chaeyoung always makes her smile.

“Thanks, Chaeyoung. I’ll make it up to you, next time.”

Chaeyoung muttered something but it wasn’t loud enough for Dahyun to hear.

“Did you say something?”

Chaeyoung smirked and shook her head.

“Nope.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the start of the rainy days. Dahyun is at the school entrance, unable to walk forward since the rain is strong and she doesn’t have an umbrella.

She doesn’t have anyone to ask help for since it was already passed 6PM. All of the students are already home by this time. Dahyun was left because of Sana again.

Earlier…

Chaeyoung and Dahyun is standing in the entrance, watching the light rain fall. They were about to leave because class just dismissed but they stayed right there.

“Hey, Chaeyoung.”

“Hmm?” Chaeyoung answered lazily since it’s raining and when it’s raining, Chaeyoung is getting lazy.

“Don’t you have someone to tutor right now?”

“Well…I do.”

“Then, why aren’t you leaving yet?”

“It’s still raining.”

“The rain is only pouring lightly. You can always sprint towards the parking lot.”

“What if I slipped?”

“Please…you never slip.”

Chaeyoung chuckled and answered “Well…because it’s still raining and you don’t have an umbrella.”

“Do you?”

“Nope. But I have my raincoat.”

“Kid.” Dahyun teased “But, you should go now. You have work to do, right?”

“How about you?”

As soon as Chaeyoung said that, Sana came.

“Hey, Dahyun.” Sana said and kissed Dahyun’s cheek then faced Chaeyoung “Hello to you too, Chaeyoung.”

“Hey, Sana unnie.”

“Why are you guys still here?”

“The rain.”

“Oh. Well…since you’re not leaving yet, how about helping me in the council? Tzuyu’s absent. Pleeease…”

Chaeyoung was about to answer ‘sure’ but Dahyun answered first.

“I’ll do it, unnie. Chaeyoung still has something to do.”

“But…”

“It’s fine, Chaeyoung. The rain has stopped anyway. How about you leave now?”

“Will you be okay?”

“Absolutely. I have Sana unnie with me.”

“Alright…Well, see you tomorrow.” Chaeyoung said and walked away

“Let’s go?” Sana asked

“Okay.” Dahyun answered but glanced on Chaeyoung before leaving completely

Back to present

Sana left first due to an emergency from their house. The rain wasn’t strong earlier but now it’s pouring strongly. Really really strong.

Dahyun sighed and sat down in the stairs of the entrance. She closed her eyes and leaned in the pillar behind her.

‘Sleeping in the school is never an option for me…until now.’  Dahyun thought

“Are you really planning to sleep here?”

Dahyun shot her eyes open and looked at the owner of the voice. Her eyes got teary as she jump up to hug the girl, tightly.

“Chaeyoung ah…”

“Yo.” Chaeyoung greeted as wrapped her arms around Dahyun.

Dahyun continued to hug Chaeyoung while crying but Chaeyoung backed away to wipe Dahyun’s tears.

“Stop crying, Hyunnie.”

“I thought…I thought I’ll be sleeping here in the school. Thank you, Chaeyoung.” Dahyun said as she hug Chaeyoung again

“There’s no way I’m letting you sleep here, pabo. Come on, let’s go home.”

Dahyun hummed and broke the hug. She looked at Chaeyoung and noticed that Chaeyoung didn’t bring anything.

“Where’s your bag?”

“I left it in my student’s home.”

“Then, where’s your umbrella?”

“You know I don’t bring umbrellas.”

“What? How are we going home?”

Chaeyoung smirked and took off her raincoat. She wrapped it on Dahyun and made sure that Dahyun’s bag is safe too. After she done wrapping Dahyun in her raincoat, she smiled.

“There. Now let’s go home.”

Chaeyoung was about to walk but Dahyun stopped her.

“You’re not going to get yourself wet, aren’t you?”

“I will.”

“Why?”

“Because I want you to be home, dry and safe. Don’t worry about me. You’re much more important.”

Dahyun blushed but managed to answer Chaeyoung without stuttering.

“Chaeyoung, I’m not allowing this. You go home and grab an umbrella. I’ll wait here.”

“Unnie, it’s getting darker. We need to go now.”

“But you’ll be cold and wet.”

Chaeyoung take Dahyun’s hand off her and hold it instead. She ran outside and dragged Dahyun with her.  She stopped and stand in the middle of the school’s field.

“See? I’m already wet. Now, is this okay?”

“You’re an idiot, Chaeyoung.”

Chaeyoung just grinned at her and nodded “As long as it’s for you.”

Dahyun felt her face heated. ‘What the heck?’ she thought.

They started walking towards home and Dahyun keep asking questions.

“I thought you’re in the middle of tutoring?”

“I was. But as soon as it started raining harder, I thought of you being trapped in school.”

“So, you ran towards the school even though you’re not sure I’m there?”

“Yup. Better safe than sorry.”

“Why would you ran in the middle of the strong rain? What if you got slipped?”

“You know I never slip. And why? Well…let’s just say that you’re my number one priority.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung was absent today and Dahyun visited her. Dahyun and Chaeyoung are bestfriend since middle school and Dahyun sleep over at Chaeyoung’s house sometimes so she knows the house well.

Dahyun climbed the stairs and knocked on Chaeyoung’s door.

“Come…in.” Chaeyoung answered so Dahyun entered the room.

She saw Chaeyoung laying in her bed while her eyes is closed and there’s a wet towel in her forehead.

“Is that you, Seungwan unnie? Why are you *cough* still here?”

Son Seungwan or Wendy Son is Chaeyoung’s older sister. She’s in college level already and is now in the school.

“It’s not her, Chae.”

Chaeyoung opened her eyes and sat down immediately.

“What the heck are you doing here?” Chaeyoung asked

“Ouch, bestfriend. Ouch.”

Chaeyoung fell back to her bed immediately and closed her eyes again.

“You need to *cough* be in school today, Hyunnie.”

“Are you pushing me away from you, Son Chaeyoung?”

“Yes *cough*. It’s for your own *cough* good.”

“Oh god, Chaeyoung. You got sick because of me.”

“No, I *cough* didn’t.”

“Yes, you did. Stop arguing, Chae. Have you already eaten breakfast?”

“Yup. Seungwan unnie *cough* made me eat before she left.”

“What a great unnie. Well…have you drank your medicine yet?”

“Uhh…yeah.”

Dahyun poker her face and got Chaeyoung’s medicine.

“Don’t lie to me, Chaeyoung. You know I know when you’re lying. Now, sit up and drink your medicine.”

Dahyun helped Chaeyoung sit up and made her take Chaeyoung’s medicine. She changed Chaeyoung’s towel and sat on Chaeyoung’s bed.

“Thanks, Chaeyoung.”

“Hmm?”

“For everything.”

“Hmm.”

“Rest now, Chaeng ah.” Dahyun said and kissed Chaeyoung’s cheek before standing up “I’ll be in the living roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter