XXIII - Glow Ring

[DubChaeng: One shots/Short Stories]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the age of 18, everyone gets a glow ring on their ring fingers that changes color depending on what their soulmates are feeling at the moment. And when they finally introduce themselves to each other, those rings would glow a white light and would turn into a silver ring with a unique design, which they could use as their wedding ring when the time comes.

Right now, Kim Dahyun is a few hours away from being 18 years old. After eating dinner, she immediately went her room and set up her alarm at exactly 12AM before going to bed.

When her alarm sounded, she sprung up from her sleep and stared at her ring finger. A bright light blinded her for a second and when she opened her eyes, a glowing ring was now in her finger. It glows a color of indigo and Dahyun searched what it means, and it means that her soulmate is deeply relaxed.

"They're probably asleep." she muttered to herself and went back to bed, dreaming what her soulmate would look like.

--

Every day, Dahyun would observe the color of her ring. It was usually blue, which means her soulmate is feeling a normal mood, or indigo. So when it turned pink, she smiled to herself. Right now, her soulmate is very happy wherever they are.

"What's got you smiling?" a cute voice interrupted Dahyun out of her thoughts and she turned around to see her best friend.

"My soulmate is very happy so I'm also happy, Sana unnie."

"Oh, I see. Well, my soulmate is feeling irritated so..." Sana raised her hand to show her ring and it was indeed glowing a green light. "...I'm sorry I can't relate to you right now."

Dahyun met Minatozaki Sana during the freshman orientation. The girl tripped infront of her and she luckily caught her. They became friends soon after that and had never been apart.

"That's weird." Dahyun observed. "I could have sworn it was glowing a rainbow color earlier when you were from afar."

"Rainbow color? There's no rainbow color, Dahyunnie."

"Right." she chuckled. "I must have imagined it."

--

Dahyun is sitting at the library and reading a book. Just as she flip the next page, the ring on her finger started glowing a violet color; it means her soulmate is being mischievous.

"I wonder what they're up to right now." she mumbled as she stares at the ring in her hand. "Must be doing a prank, aye."

As soon as she said that, the fire alarm sounded. It was their school's procedure to evacuate when the fire alarm rings so Dahyun stood up from her seat and ran out of the library. However when she went out, the teachers are telling them it was a false alarm and was merely a prank. Wait, could it be...

"No way." Dahyun took a deep breath as she process things. Her soulmate is studying at their school, they had just pulled that prank. There's no way that it was just a big coincidence. "Oh...my God." and she immediately ran off to tell it to her bestfriend.

--

"I'm telling you, my soulmate is studying here. They're the one who pulled that fire alarm prank yesterday." Dahyun stated.

"Now, let me guess. You want me to announce the student who made the prank to come here just so you could see who your soulmate is?"

"Yes, Jihyo unnie. And it's also your responsibility as student council president to find out who it is." Dahyun is using her persuading skills right now just to make Jihyo agree and it worked out because the president let out a sigh and nodded her head.

"Fine, you win." she surrendered and grabbed her announcement speaker. "To the student or students who pulled the fire alarm yesterday, please come to the council office immediately. I repeat, to the people responsible for the prank yesterday, please come to the office immediately."

Jihyo looked at Dahyun with a face saying 'Done. Now, are you happy now?' and the pale girl nodded her head with a bright smile because she could see her glow ring was now glowing the yellow color; it means her soulmate is anxious and had prove her theory right that her soulmate is closer than she thought.

"Thanks, Jihyo unnie. Now, all I have to do is to wait here and see who my soulmate is." Dahyun took a seat beside Jihyo and waited.

After a few more minutes, the door of the office opened but it wasn't what Dahyun expected. Instead of her soulmate, they were 4 students who entered the room and suprisingly, all of them are female. It's expected from Ms. Elegant with ear piercing and Ms. Girl Crush but the bunny teeth girl and the other innoncent looking girl doesn't actually look like a rebel kind of girl. So, what are they doing here?

Moreover, Dahyun's glow ring is still glowing a yellow light. It didn't glow into a white light, meaning her soulmate wasn't among the girls here right now. Was she wrong with her theory? Or are these girls are somehow connected to her soulmate?

"State your names, your grade level and your section." Jihyo said and the girls introduced themselves.

"Myoui Mina, sophomore section A." Ms. Elegant with piercing stated.

"Yoo Jeongyeon, junior section B." the girl crush introduced.

"Im Nayeon, senior section A." bunny teeth girl mumbled.

"Hirai Momo, junior section C." the last girl said.

--

As luck would have it, Dahyun encountered one of the girls again. She's lining up on the queue inside the convenience store when her glow ring suddenly shone a very bright blue-green glow; it means that her soulmate must be really motivated at the moment. She was caught up on the light that she hadn't noticed that someone stood besides her and pay for what she bought. She only managed to realized it when the cashier handed the bags to her.

"But I haven't--"

"I already paid for it."

Dahyun whipped her head to the side and saw Mina. The girl was wearing a cute gummy smile that contrast to her dark outfit; gray v-neck shirt, navy blue jeans and black leather jacket. Plus her ear piercing added badass aura to her but she's smiling right now, so Dahyun smiled back.

"Thanks, but you don't have to though."

"It's fine, you were holding up the line anyway." Dahyun turned around and saw that the line indeed increased so she immediately stepped aside, making Mina chuckle. She was about to grab her wallet but the other girl held her hand. "Don't worry about it, I've got lots of money to spend."

"I'm sorry but I don't like to owe something to someone, so please let me pay for it."

"It's not a big deal, really." Mina said with a chuckle. "But if you insist, you can do me a favor."

"Sure, as long as it's within my reach." the other girl smiled and got something from her bag then handed it to Dahyun.

"That's my friend's contact number. She's an artist and in need of a model for her sketches, you look gorgeous so could you help her?"

"Wait, so all I have to do is contact her, meet her and let her draw me?" Mina nodded. "No monkey business like art, right?" the other girl laughed and shook her head no. "Oh, good to know. Well, I'll think about it. But there's no reason to try so, tell your friend to see me by next week or so."

"Alright, then. I'll see you around. Thanks, Dahyunnie." before Dahyun could ask how she knows her name, Mina was already out of the door.

--

Dahyun was walking towards the lockers after gym class when she bumped into someone. The other person's books were dropped on the floor so she immediately bend down and helped picked the books up then handed it back to the person. She was taken a back when she saw it was none other than Im Nayeon.

"Thanks for the help." the senior flashed her famous bunny teeth smile to Dahyun and the latter could see how she became the Campus Sweetheart.

"You're so beautiful." Dahyun slipped out, cause her mind short-circuited. Luckily, it went

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter