Third

Thinking Out Loud (EXO fanfiction)

 We went to two shelters before finding our dog, and actually dogs, because a minor accident happened. So, when we arrived at that specific one, we were greeted by this lovely, middle aged lady in a disgusting, purple, knitted pullover and leggings, which was traumatizing in itself. The place was outside of the town and it looked like a farm, with a big house in the far end of the property. She led us to the kennels and after telling us a little about the place, she left us alone with the dogs and cats so we could inspect the animals freely. There were about fifty of them in the large place, playing around in big, pool-like things, looking really happy. The owner assured us, that none of them are dangerous, and if we wanted, we could play with them too, to get to know each of them. We walked around with curious eyes to look for the perfect dog, until we actually found it.

  I think it was a rather instinctive thing, and a freaky one at that, because we pointed him out at the same time. He was playing with a rag bone, small build, creamy fur and the cutest muzzle ever. His fur had white spots in it and he had dark brown eyes, how unusual of a dog, really. But we fell in love instantly, and the moment we accessed the "pool" he ran up to us, wiggling his short tail. The only thing was, he came with a partner, a small, fragile female dog, equally cute and happy to see us. The male was shorter and sturdier, but still playful and amazingly charming.

"Are we thinking at the same thing?" asked Baek Hyun, while playing with the white one.

"I mean, we can always go back and get a second bowl..." I said with a cheeky smile.

"They come in a combo. It would be a shame to separate them," continued Beak, even though we both knew, the deal was sealed, and we were taking them home with us.

"I knew it! We are becoming parents today, Baek!" I exclaimed with the brightest of smiles.

"Let me just get the lady, and we can proceed with the adoption," he said and rushed out of the building.

  It took us less than 30 minutes to fill out every paper, for the temporary adoption, because there was a 20 day long probation period, where we had to prove that we are capable of taking care of the dogs. The little boy's name was Brutus and the female's name was Cheetos, which seemed totally strange, but what wasn't strange when it came to me and my beloved flatmate? The owner promised to send someone to check on us in 20 days, and then we will be able to sign the final adoption papers. The ride home was a real adventure, because our new babies were so excited to go home, they couldn't contain it, and kept sticking their heads out the window and having a little party on the backseat of the car. I was the one sitting between them, so I managed to record some of it to make a video about it for my channel later.

"Congratulations, Hye Lin, you are officially a mother of two!" cheered me on Baek Hyun, as we entered our apartment and let the dogs discover it for themselves. The shelter owner told us, that they belonged to an old lady before, both were four years old, and ended up at the shelter because the lady died, and nobody wanted to take care of the dogs. They were house-trained, neutered and really cuddly fellas, which meant we hardly had any tasks in these matters, leaving us only to let them get used to the new scenery.

"Congrats, Beak Hyunie, you became a father of two!" I hugged my flatmate giving him a peck on his cheek to congratulate him on becoming a father.

  We spent our day organizing the apartment to be dog friendly, setting up the pet corner and putting together the pet cage we purchased earlier. Luckily, it was big enough for both of them, because we couldn't be sure, how big the adopted dog will be. Putting on the collars was a huge commotion, because they hated it, and wouldn't stand still, running around in the living room, like two rabbits on speed. By the time we finally managed, Kyung Soo and Jong In were sitting on the couch, sipping on orange juice and munching on pizza, while being adored by our dogs. As it turned out, the two pups were super sociable and as our guests arrived one by one, they were all greeted by our dogs jumping on them in excitement.

  The night was spent in pleasant haze filled with light chatter and pizza. We took turns with the PS4 consoles and played Shadow of The Beast and FIFA obviously, but it was so much fun, I can't even recall the last time we enjoyed ourselves so much. They left around two in the evening and we spent another hour cleaning up after them. Baek took out the dogs quickly, and after making sure they had everything, we ushered them into the cage and we too went to sleep. 

  The weekend went by in the blink of an eye, spent with studying and playing with our dogs. We took them to the park Sunday evening to let them play with other dogs too, and get used to the area. On Monday, I felt hesitant, whether to leave my babies at home, or ditch a day in university, but I decided on going after all, because it was the last week before finals, and every bit of extra information was a blessing. I chose a summery dress, with spaghetti straps, with flat sandals. I looked like I was headed to the beach, and some of the students gave me looks of disapproval, but it wasn't enough to discourage me. My steps were light, almost dance like since I was listening to my favorite classical piece, Bolero from Ravel, and it never failed to brighten my day. I was so cheerful, I didn't even notice the guy towering in front of me, and this made it possible for me to bump into him.

"Watch your step, lady!" scolded me a deep voice, which was more amused than angry. It was enough though, to make me pull out my headphones and look at the person. I almost stumbled backwards from the shocking discovery, because the one standing before me was none other than Park Chan Yeol, smiling widely, bright red strands of hair falling into his eyes as he lowers his head a little, so we can be on the same eye level.

"I am sorry," I said hurriedly avoiding eye contact.

"Nah, it is okay," he said with a dismissing wave, and bent down to pick up a few papers I apparently managed to knock out of his hands when we collided. I quickly copied his actions and helped him collect them.

"Really, I was just lost in my cloud of thoughts and didn't pay attention. I hope these were not some important papers," I apologized again and turned the page to look at the content. They were in fact lecture plans and notes for some course. "God, I am really sorry..."

"I said, it is okay," he assured me and took the papers from my hand.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely sure. Now, if you excuse me," he said while making a side step and leaving me alone in the hallway, unsure of what the hell am I supposed to feel now.

  Before Suho told me about our one night stand, I would have just continued my day, not giving a fig about this, but for some reason, I felt disappointed because he didn't recognize me. It was stupid of me to even think about it, but still... I wanted to know what happened that night, when we hooked up. I wanted to remember it, because this way I felt cheated. He looked too good, for me to just simply forget about it. I needed a war plan, and the best person to ask about such things was Baek, the only friend I had who's been in more relationships than I can count throughout the time we've known each other. My flatmate wasn't really picky in terms of who he was with as long as they were legal and it was consensual.

  I immediately sent him a text preparing him for this talk, and as if nothing has happened, I went on with my day. Classes were hard and we had a lot to study. Many professors gave us long lists of books we will have to read in preparation for our last year. At least I had an excuse not to go back home to Korea, which my mother so ardently wanted. She had this idea about me going home for the summer, spending it with them, going on vacations and so on, but I preferred staying in England and reading those books, gong to the beach maybe with my friends and most important of all, being there on Kyung Soo's wedding.

"So, who is this fella we are trying to catch?" asked Baek when I arrived home. I wasn't even able to put down my bag, he was all up in my face with immense enthusiasm.

"Can I have a glass of water first?"

"Sure... Sorry..." he apologized and turned around to walk back into our living room, where he was playing with our dogs, instead of studying.

"How did our babies behave today?" I asked while pouring myself some water.

"Cheetos slept through the day mostly, she is just as lazy as her father, while Brutus kept running around the living room like some rabbit on speed. I took some photos and videos of them, if you are curious."

"I was thinking, maybe we could make a video, where we introduce them? Put it on my channel?"

"That is a great idea. We should do it now, before I have to head out."

"Where to, my sweet sugar baby?" I asked, adding this sickening endearment which made him cringe. He hated it when I catcalled him, but I on the other hand indulged in these pleasures more often than not.

"I have a date, my beloved sugar mama," he responded with the same tone, and I knew something was off.

"With who?"

"Okay, don't freak out, but it is the Student Council president, Park Chan Yeol!" he exclaimed with never seen enthusiasm, and my blood went cold in my veins. How on earth did this happen?

A/N: Woohoo! Apparently i have more time on my hand than I imagined, and I can pop out the episodes really fast. Kudos for that! ;) I hope you loved this episode as well! All the love, B.