The New Student

Spell Us

“Mina, come down ! Momo has been waiting for you !” “Coming Mama.” Mina replies to her mother while running down the stairs. She reaches for her bag at the sofa and kisses her mother’s cheek before waving goodbye and walks outside her house. She wears her shoes and look around to search for a girl. Bingo. There she is, with her back facing Mina. The said girl is looking at the blue sky above them and she looks like deep in thought. Mina sneaks behind her and cover the contemplating girl’s eyes with her hand.

 

“Guess who ?” Mina uses her best low tone voice. She can feel the latter crunches up her face after what Mina said to her. Well, two can play the game so Momo replies, “Kai ? Why are you here. Where is your sister ? And when did you grew as tall as me ?” Momo teases her. Momo grins as she hears the owner of the hand mumbles. “Let’s go then Kai, we will leave Mina together. How’s that ?” Momo continues. “Ya, how dare you !” Mina pouts and drops her hand from the giggling Momo. “Hehe, you look cute though when I tease you. Let’s go, you’re gonna be late for real if we don’t move now.” Mina blushes when she takes the seat behind Momo as the girl in front of her starts to pedal away.

 

People are talking. “The Black Swan have been going to class with smile on her face. That’s rare.” “You’ve seen the St. Mary girl that drops Mina off every day at the front gate. She is really pretty.” “Are they dating ?! Ohmygosh !” Myoui Mina, the cold, compose and calm girl heard it all and can’t help but to smile. She is the talk of the whole prestigious St. Peter’s students and she feels like a celebrity. She likes the attention but despite it, she feels something else. Something kinda possessive. Myoui Mina is very jealous. “That girl is pretty, I wish that I can have her number.” “Dude, have you seen the St. Mary girl ? 10/10 would date.” Mina can only glare at those boys and girls.

 

She always had these feelings whenever she’s with Momo since their first meeting at the playground. The pounding of her heart whenever she thinks about the girl, the feeling of dying to see her but at the same time wishes that she wouldn’t have to see her. The feeling to do her best and to impress the peach, she had felt them all and it never stop. Only when she grew up she knew that she is in love with Hirai Momo. After the night on the phone, she was very sad and felt like it was the end of the world but she managed to pull through and realised that her feelings for the said girl is true and she wouldn’t give up even when they went to different schools. That was why she joined the scrabble club; to find her precious Momo again. And she finally did and she would never let the peach out of her grasp again.

 

________

 

“Mina, are you okay ?” Momo speaks as she stops pedalling. Right now, they are at the playground to look around a little before going back to their respective home. Mina is deep in her thought and Momo knows it because Mina just stares at the scenery in front of her. Even when a dog decide to ‘defecate’ in front of her, Mina doesn’t flinch. Mina finally snaps back to reality when she stop feeling the wind on her face. “Momorin~ daizhobu desuka ?” Mina asks and look towards Momo but oh boy, what a mistake she had done. What she sees is Momo staring at her, straight into her eyes like she is appreciating Van Gogh’s Starry Night. Mina gulps and notices that Momo’s hand starts to move towards her face before cupping her cheek. Momo is getting closer as she leans forward and Mina could feel the latter’s breath on her nose. Mina, getting panic close her eyes expecting something soft but all she could feel is a wind in her ear.

 

“You’re daydreaming Mitang~” Momo says gleefully with a grin on her face. “Nice save Momo.” She thought to herself as she gives herself an invisible pat to her head. “Let’s go, you said you got lots of homework to do.”

 

None of them speak anything about their little moment. Mina just waves at Momo before entering her house in such haste. Momo waves back and gets on her bicycle. “Aish, way to go baka-Mo.” Momo knocks her head (in a cute way) and ride off. “Mina must be weirded out by me.”
 

Little did Momo knew that currently, Mina is flustered and leaning on her front door. Her heart feels like jumping out of her chest and her face is red when she remembers their moment just now. “Momo almost kiss me. Momo almost kiss me.” Mina repeats those words like mantra before heading upstairs. Apparently Mrs. Myoui heard Mina and asks her what's wrong. Feeling flustered again, Mina runs upstairs and slams her bedroom door shut to avoid her mother’s sudden question. Mrs. Myoui can only shakes her head. “Teenagers.”

 

________

 

“Hey Chaeng, can you pass me the dictionary. Something is fishy here. Have you heard of wumbo ?” Jeongyeon mutters toward Chaeyoung who is having her lunch with the elegant girlfriend of hers, Chou Tzuyu and her best friend, the dancing eagle, Dahyun. Dahyun decides to join their little gathering at the club since Sana is with Jihyo and Nayeon since a new student enters the school. “You know, I wumbo, you wumbo. Have you heard of wumbology, the study of wumbo ?” Chaeyoung says to the confused Jeongyeon which erupts a laughter from the school meal club. “Nice reference Chaeng.” Dahyun bro-fist Chaeyoung.

 

“Unnie, what’s wrong ?” Tzuyu speaks to a lonely Momo who is looking outside, deep in her thought. “I’m fine Tzuyu-ah. Don’t worry.” And with that, Momo shows her a smile to assure the unconvinced yoda. “Hey ! Why can Tzuyu calls you unnie while I can’t ?!” “Shut up, you’re not as cute as Tzuyu.” Momo sticks her tongue at the smol bean. “Come with me, I’ve something to speak to you.” She says as she walks out the club room.

 

‘What is it, unnie ?” Momo takes a very deep breathe before speaking out. “You remember The Black Swan ? I think I’ve fallen in love with her.” Momo tells Chaeyoung everything since her first meeting with Mina, the one that introduce her to scrabble. She tells her about their playground memories and how they lose contact. Momo also decides to tell Chaeyoung about their little incident yesterday. Momo opens up everything to Chaeyoung since the smol bean is like her little sister. “How about you take her for a date, unnie ? If she likes you, she would totally agree with you. But if she doesn’t like you, you can just tell her that it is a friendly date.” Chaeyoung blurts out.

 

“Wow ! You’re very smart Chaeng.” Momo says as she squeeze the baby cub’s cheek to which the latter grins. “But why did you decide to talk to me about it, unnie ? I mean, you can always talk to Sana or Jeongyeon.” She inquires. “Well, you know your cousin, I would never finish telling her everything because she would tease me non-stop.” Chaeng only nods. “While for Sana, she would only squeal and asks me many questions non-stop instead of helping me deal with the problem. Besides that, I would like to hang out with my little sister more.” Momo speaks as she pokes Chaeyoung shoulder. 

 

“Hana is kinda busy nowadays, only speaks of her work. I don’t want to disturb her on her studies.” Momo misses Hana very much but what could she do ? Chaeyoung looks into Momo’s eyes and sees longing in it. She realises how much Momo misses her sister. With that thought in her mind, she hugs Momo. “You can always share your problem with me unnie.” Chaeng smiles at Momo. The older girl then ruffles the cute short girl’s hair. “Maybe this is what it’s like to have a little sister.” Momo thought to herself. The ring bells signalling the end of lunch and they both part ways to go to their own respective class.

 

________

 

The afternoon gives out a warm vibe and Momo is more than happy to sleep instead of listening to her History teacher talking about World War 2 and all. Sana, now in front of her instead by her side, have her head bobbing up and down as she tries to focus in class. Spoiler alert, she falls asleep. Seeing this, Momo decides to throw small pieces of rubber at Sana to which she immediately wakes up to. Sana turns her head around and glare at her Japanese friend. “Yamete.” Momo gives her a toothy grin. “gomen”

 

After her short episode with Sana, Momo decides she might as well sleep if she won’t learn anything, so that is what she do. “Nyum nyum, this giant jokbal is sure delicious. I’m in heaven right now. Bless me !” Momo keeps on mumbling in her sleep to which Sana chuckles to how cute her friend is. Suddenly, the class door opens and their homeroom teacher enters bringing with her, the new student. The new student leaves Sana in a shock since she didn’t expect her to enter their class.

 

Sana immediately pelts Momo’s head with candies that she hid underneath her desk to wake Momo up from her heavenly dream. “Stop it Sana, let me enjoy my sleep.” She grumbles making Sana to take a more aggressive action; she shakes Momo’s head furiously. This makes the latter looks up to Sana and hiss, “What is it that you have to wake me up like that ?” “Look, the new student. I didn’t expect her to join our class.” Sana tells her. Momo switch her view from Sana and looks to the front. Her heart skips a beat and she (unconsciously) holds her breath.

 

“I’m Myoui Mina, nice to meet you all.” She says as she looks at the wide-eyed peach.  

 


A/N: It's been a while now fuh ~ (Wipe imaginary sweat) How's the chapter. Hope you like it. Feel free to comment and gives feedback.