Ice Cream and Sunset

Spell Us

The Scrabble Club is having a party at Nayeon’s house since her parents have business overseas. They bring chips and soft drinks along with their sleeping bags and spare clothes since they decided last minute to sleepover. “Tonight we’re gonna get fat and dance until the morning !” Jeongyeon excitedly screamed when they left the convenience store on the way to Nayeon’s house earlier. That was what Jeongyeon thought the night would be.

 

But oh boy Jeongyeon thought wrong. Currently, she is cuddling with Nayeon and having PDA like there is no tomorrow in front of the television and Chaeyoung already gives in to her tiredness. Hana went back earlier since she has project to do and Jihyo is laying on her side on the floor, stuffing with chips. She is the only one who watches the television. Meanwhile for Momo, she is laying down on the floor, looking at the spinning ceiling fan reminiscing on what happens earlier at the inter-school. She recognise the face, the voice, but she can’t seem to remember anything about the girl. Sleepiness comes and cloak her and later on, she’s already in a deep slumber, thinking about the girl.

 

“I’m M-Mina” “I’m M-Mina” “I’m M-Mina” the voice from 9 years ago constantly getting louder until suddenly it turns into a ring. Kriiiiiinggggg, Momo instantly wakes up and immediately shut down the alarm clock. It’s already 10 in the morning so she decides to take a shower first before waking the others.

 

________

 

“Sana-chan.” Momo calls her best friend since first grade who is busy looking at photos of Dahyun. They are actually having mathematic right now, but the numbers is too complicated and simpy too boring so Sana decides to play with her phone while Momo is thinking about something. Seeing the latter ignored her call, Momo decides to call and grab her attention again. This makes Sana turns her head swiftly toward Momo and shoots her a glare. “What is it Hirai ? Can’t you see I’m busy looking at my precious dubu ?” Startled, Momo uses her super rare and irresistible aegyo and says, “I would like to ask you something.” Clenching her heart Sana gives in. “What is it ?”

 

“Do you remember Mina, our friend ?” Momo asks. Sana nods and speaks “But which Mina is it ? Was it the one we played with at the playground or the one who puked on your head on first grade ?” “You still remember about that ?! Damn girl. I almost puked actually, and luckily I didn’t if not, you would go home crying hahaha.” Momo laughs at their memories together. “Actually, it is about our playground friend.” She continues.

 

________

 

Momo is cycling toward somewhere with her old bicycle that she received from her parents before attending high school at St. Mary. She shares that bike everyday with a particular girl. Momo can’t believe that their Mina, is the same Mina that introduced her to scrabble and the same Mina that enrol in St. Peter high school which is why they lose contact. Myoui Mina is The Black Swan ! “Oh my god, she even looked familiar. God, please make me brighter in the next life.”

 

Flashback to 5 hours ago

 

“I can’t believe that you really actually don’t tell me anything about her to me.” Momo furiously whispers to Sana to avoid unwanted attention from the teacher. “Hey, I still clearly remembered the last day that we hang out, you almost crashed into the tree and she almost cried. I thought you guys have a serious fight and hate each other.” Sana says in her defence. “We get back together that night over the phone.” Momo said, but not without raising her voice. “How the hell should I know about that then ?!” Sana replied back, anger in her voice. “Ms Hirai, Ms Minatozaki, would you kindly get out from my class now.” The math teacher spoke to them. “Sorry” Momo bows towards sensei and mutters ‘it’s your fault Sana’ before getting out of the class together with the squirrel.

 

________

 

Momo parks her bicycle next to the school gate and decided to wait for The Black Swan. She heard from Sana that every Wednesday, the students of St. Peter go home around 6 in the evening. Momo anxiously waits for the girl. Her heart thumps as it has been very long since they actually talk to each other. To be precise, before they went to high school. She looks at her watch; 5:50. She then walks back and forth at the front gate to pass the time and to think what to say.

 

She hears the school’s bell ring and students pour out of the school gate. They do not seem to care about Momo so she just stands there trying to spot Mina but she can’t seem to find her. When the number of students coming out of the gate drops to almost none, Momo decides to call it a day and try her luck next time. Just as she about to pedal her bicycle, she hears somebody calling her name. “Momo ? What are you doing here. ?” Momo spins her head around and there she was, Myoui Mina. Hirai Momo long lost friend just stands there.

 

“I-I, I-I m-miss you s-so much.” Momo smiles and runs toward Mina and give her a bear hug. Mina is speechless but returns the hug anyway. She likes the warmth that the other girl gives her.

 

“How about an ice cream and story to catch up with each other’s life ?” Momo asks Mina for a short hang out together. Mina excitedly nods her head like a spring. Momo can only chuckles at the sight of the cute girl in front of her. “Hop on, let’s go. There’s ice cream to be eaten. God, I really miss you Minari !” Momo still can’t believe that Mina, her childhood friend is hidden in plain sight all these years. Mina then sits elegantly on the passenger’s seat and have her right arm encircle Momo’s waist to keep her balance. Both of them can only blush at the penguin’s action.

 

“I would like 1 strawberry ice cream and 1 vanilla ice cream, please ?” Momo brings the ice cream toward Mina who is sitting facing the Han river. The evening is warm as the sun is about to set. She sits down next to Mina and gives her the vanilla ice cream. Light orange cast upon the surface of the river and create a nostalgia feel. The trees sway with the wind and caress their whole figure as they keep on the ice cream. It is really comfortable and quite as they heart the rustling of leaves and it remind them about their time together at the playground, many years ago.

 

“Mitang, what flavour do you prefer ? I like the strawberry one because it is pink !” Little Momo pulls Mina’s hand bringing her to the ice cream stall. “I like the vanilla one Momoring~ It smells just like you.” She shows her gummy smile at Momo as they buy their ice cream. “Do you guys know that I like the … “ “Nobody ask you Sana-chan, hehehe” Momo cuts in which earns her a laugh from Mina. “… chocolate one.” Sana pouts as she chases Momo around the playground. “You’re mean~”

 

“Why don’t you tell me that you’re going to another school ? You just disappear like ‘poof’ and gone.” Momo breaks the silence. Mina looks at her with confusion painting her face. “I did Momoring. Remember that day that we almost crashed into a tree, we talked over the phone that night and you said you were sorry. I also told you that I’m going to St. Peter. You did not replied and I’m afraid that you were mad. Haha, never thought that you have fallen asleep already.” Mina explains. “I even told Sana-chan the day after. When you don’t recognise me at the inter-school, I really really thought you hate me, until the flirting I guess.” Mina smirks at the now blushing Momo. “Turns out you have forgotten about me. My heart broke a little though.” Mina continues. Momo can’t help but to feel a pang of guilty strikes her chest. “I’m sorry Mina, but I’m here right now with you, right ? I won’t forget about you anymore.” “Yeah, you would not, because I’m gonna chase you at school if you do” Mina and Momo continues to enjoy the evening.

 

“It’s getting late, let me take you home.” Momo reaches out her hand and Mina gladly accepts it. “Okay.” Mina sits at the passenger seat behind Momo and tells her the direction towards her house and Momo cycles through the night. It is full moon and it hangs up in the dark sky to illuminate the city. One thing that they realise is the night is quite as well. Only the sounds of wheels and gravel to entertain their ears. It is comforting; too comforting and it gives birth towards another feeling inside the adolescent Momo and Mina. “I really miss you.” The more bolder one between the two speaks.

 

A turn after another turn, they finally arrive at Mina’s house. Her house is actually quite nearby and she wonders why they never met before. Mina get off the bike and walks slowly to the front door, in fact too slow like she is expecting something to happen. Suddenly, Mina hears somebody clearing . She smiles. “Umm, Mina ! If your parents get mad at you, just asks them to call me. Here’s my number.” Mina politely accepts it and Momo continues, “W-would you mind i-if I-I send you to your school and back to your house everyday ? I want to s-spend m-more time with y-you.” Momo looks everywhere except Mina’s eyes. “I wouldn’t mind.” Mina shows her gummy smile to the nervous-looking Momo before approaching her and kiss her on the cheeks. “Congrats on your winning. See you tomorrow.” And with that, Mina goes into her house.

 

Momo, still holding her cheeks gets on her bike and starts to pedal away. After her heartbeat calms down, she shouts “Myoui Mina just kiss me on the cheeks !” It is so loud until the dog barks. Momo can’t help but to smile from ear to ear. “Shut up ! Children is sleeping here. !” Somebody shouts and startles Momo before she ends up in a bush. “Mina just kiss me on the cheeks.” Momo, still holding her cheeks grin.

 


A/N : Getting busy now, so here's a new chapter. Hope you like it ^^