The Unlucky Ace, Hirai Momo

Spell Us

Her body starts to shiver. Her visions begin to shake. Is she experiencing an earthquake. “Awesome !” Momo talks to herself. “Wait, what the hell ?” she mutters as she saw alphabet tiles dropping like rain. Amidst all the chaos, there is a girl playing scrabble alone, in the middle of her view like she is the focus of the dream. Momo cannot remember the girl. Just as she about to acquire her name, she hears laughter from outside. Outside ?

            Momo opens her eyes and immediately regret her action as she sees Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung laughing at her. “You’re drooling poop head” Says Chaeyoung. “Having a wet dream huh, prez ?” Jeongyeon starts to laugh out loud. “Urgh, get lost !” Momo shouts with her husky voice. The club room is neat and tidy except for the front of her desk, a mountain of alphabet tiles just sitting there, waiting to be cleaned. “Who the hell did this ?” Momo demands an answer as she rubs her head hoping to rub off the headache. “Look into the mirror.” Chaeng replies. “I must have did this when I was asleep. That explains the raining scrabble tiles. Wait, who’s that girl again ?” the dream earlier flashes inside Momo’s head. “Huh, what girl ? Is there another girl ?” Jeongyeon asked. Momo clasps in shock as she just realise that she is thinking out loud. “Looked like my guess is correct.” Jeongyeon smirks at her. “Get out Yoo !” Momo shouts at her vice president as she throws a conveniently placed scrabble board at Jeong while the latter runs around the club room. Chaeyong  just sit on the sofa as she thinks of the reason she joined the club in the first place.

            Hirai Momo is the president of the St Mary Scrabble Club and Yoo Jeongyeon, her best friend is her second in charge while Chaeyoung is the secretary. The club is one of the least popular club in the school as there were only 5 members which consist of those three and Hirai Hana, Momo’s older sister and Hoseok, who never attends any of the club activities. Since of his lack of participation, he is forgotten. Nonetheless, they receives the love and attention from the school’s board of director as they have achieved tremendous amount of victories in scrabble competition domestically and internationally. Believe it or not, the scrabble club have been the forte of the school since it was first introduced.

            Momo is the ace of the club and followed closely by Chaeyoung and Hana. Jeongyeon is just there for the glory while Hoseok, umm, actually no one even care about him anymore. The funny thing is the one who always brought home the trophies and medals were Chaeyong and Hana and not the ace herself, Hirai Momo ! The reason is she would always wakes up late on the day of competition and Hana never bothered to wake her up. Hirai Momo would only waved at the sight of the school van as it getting smaller and smaller when she arrived at school. 

            “Where is Hana ? I thought we’re going home together.” Momo asks. “Hana who ? Your sister ?” Jeongyeon inquire as she is busy texting. Momo and Chaeng can only facepalm. Jeong can be a pabo when she multitasks. “She’s going out with her boyfriend.” Chaeng answers Momo flatly. “But … but, we are family !” Momo wails “Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." She add on a quote from her favourite show while getting teary eyes but not until Jeong smacks her head. “Stop the drama. Nayeon asked to hang out with us.” “Will Tzuyu be there ?” the shorter one asks, eyes filled with excitement. “Yeah, the whole crew would come except Jihyo ‘cause she got her hot date.” Jeong replies. “Including Sana and Dahyun ?” Momo asks Jeong as she is getting frustrated when hearing all of them will come in a pair. “Yep, totally will be there.” “, I’m fifth wheeling again.” Momo can only sigh. “Chill bruh, you can always bring your hand” Jeongyeon says as she wiggles her eyebrows, clearly teasing Momo’s love life. “Why would you bring your hand Mo ?” Chaeng asked, confusion in her voice since she was too pure. “Oh em gee ! Jeong, please stop dirtying our maknae’s pure mind !. And for your information, I didn’t do it for almost two months now. Huh, in your face !” Momo stated, clearly proud of herself. “Yeah, whatever.” The ostrich replies back, totally amuse.