Chapter 08

The Takeout Girl

Jimin frowned at his phone. It was past eleven pm and Ye Jin hadn’t messaged him since before lunchtime. Usually she would find the time to send him a quick message, even when she was busy with work. He sighed and rolled onto his back, restarting his phone in case there was a problem with it and that’s why he didn’t have any messages. When his phone restarted he checked all of his social media accounts but he had no messages from her. He sighed, letting his arms drop to his sides. He considered calling her, but he was worried that she might be sleeping and he didn’t want to wake her up if she was.

 

“Everything ok?” Yoongi asked as he stopped at the doorway, noticing the younger man’s bad mood. “Ye Jin isn’t replying to my messages.” He said with a pout. “Was she working today?” Yoongi asked as he plopped down onto the bed beside him. “She was working at the restaurant during the day but she should have finished hours ago. It’s not like her not to reply.” He said with a sigh as he stared up at the ceiling. Yoongi frowned as he thought over Jimin's words. “Maybe she fell asleep after work?” he suggested. “You said she’s been working a bit more than normal lately, right?” Jimin nodded, thankful that Yoongi had come to the same conclusion as him. “Yeah, she’s been super busy lately. She probably fell asleep as soon as she got in and forgot to message me.”

 

Yoongi patted his knee sympathetically. “It’s not like you haven’t done that.” He said. Jimin nodded. He had done the exact same thing last week. “I’m just being grumpy because I’m tired I guess.” He said with a smile. Yoongi smiled down at the younger man, “I’m sure she’ll text you and apologise for not texting you in the morning. I wouldn’t worry too much.”

 

“Thanks, hyung.” Jimin said with a grateful smile. Yoongi waved off his thanks and left the younger man to his own thoughts. He sent her one last message wishing her a good night and reminding her to message him in the morning before he set his alarm for the next morning and put his phone on his bedside table.

 

 

 

The next morning, Ye Jin woke up feeling groggy. She coughed, feeling dry. It took her a few minutes to realise she was not in her apartment. Panic began to settle in before a nurse walked into the room and she realised she was in a hospital. The nurse smiled warmly at her. “You’re finally awake.” She said as she poured her a glass of water, placing it on her bedside table as she helped her to sit up. She handed her the glass and she carefully sipped the cool water. “Do you know where you are honey?” the nurse asked gently as she took a few notes on her chart. “The hospital. But I don’t know which one or how I got here. I don’t even know why I’m here.” She admitted, trying to remember what had happened.

 

“You were brought here yesterday.” Ye Jin’s eyebrows shot upwards. She couldn’t believe that she had lost an entire day. “Your uncle and a handsome young man brought you here. You passed out and they called for an ambulance. You have a nasty bump on your head from when you fell and it looks like you’ve worked your body to exhaustion.” Ye Jin dipped her head, feeling guilty for having made such a big fuss. “How are you feeling?” the nurse asked as she checked her temperature. “Kinda sluggish and I'm somehow still tired.”

 

“Headache?” the nurse asked as she noted her temperature on her chart. “A little.” She said, rubbing the tender spot on the back of her head. “Breakfast will be coming round in about an hour, you should try to eat something. It will help.” Ye Jin nodded. “I will, thanks.” She said giving the nurse a grateful smile. “If you need anything just press the call button, ok?” she said before leaving the room. Ye Jin lay back against her pillow, trying to remember passing out in the restaurant. She could remember it being really busy. She remembered almost crashing into Jackson in the kitchen doorway and giving Jackson her food, but everything was still a little fuzzy.

 

She heard a sound from her side and noticed her phone on the bedside table. Thankfully it had been brought in with her. She had lots of missed calls and messages from Mr Kim, Jackson, Jaebum, and Jimin. She called Mr Kim first. He answered almost immediately, sounding relieved to hear from her. “I’m so sorry, I must have caused such a hassle.” She said guiltily. “Don’t be silly! But you need to take better care of yourself! If you're not feeling well, you need to say so!” he scolded gently. “I know. I’m sorry.” He sighed on the other side of the phone. “Do you know how long you’ll need to stay in for?” he asked.

 

“No, they haven’t said anything about letting me go yet.” She said. “Ok, I’ll stop by later to visit. I’ll bring you some real food. That hospital food isn’t nutritious at all.” He said. She smiled, thankful that he cared so much about her. “Thanks, uncle.”

 

“No problem. You rest up. I’ll see you later, ok?” she thanked him again and hung up, immediately calling Jackson who started talking at a million miles an hour as soon as he answered her call. “Nuna! Are you awake? Are you ok? How are you feeling? Can you remember everything? You don’t have amnesia right? That always happens in those dramas on TV. The main girl bumps her head and POOF! She forgets everything!”

 

Ye Jin laughed as he rambled on and on. “Jackson! I’m fine, but you're giving me earache!” she joked. He laughed sarcastically at her. “Haha. Very funny. Seriously though, how are you?” he asked, his tone showing just how worried he was about her. “I’m fine. Honestly. I’m sorry for freaking you out.” She said apologetically. “You should be sorry! I just about had a heart attack! The ambulance almost needed two stretchers!” he said, once again making her laugh at his over dramatic nature. They talked for a while longer before he had to leave to go to his next lecture, their call ending with him promising to visit her later.

 

She called Jaebum, letting him know that she was ok. Jackson had called him yesterday to tell him about her going to hospital. He promised to drop by and visit her later. Finally, she clicked on her messages from Jimin. She felt guilty that she hadn’t been able to message him. She knew that he wouldn’t know about her being in hospital, otherwise he would have said something in his messages, he obviously hadn’t eaten at the restaurant last night. She checked the time, frowning as she didn’t know if it would be ok to call him or not. She opted to send a message, just in case he was at a schedule and wasn’t able to answer his phone. She sent him a long message, apologising for not replying sooner and telling him about her passing out and being in hospital. She told him not to worry about her, that she was doing fine.

 

Minutes later her phone rang, Jimin's name popping up on her screen. She took a deep breath before answering the call. “Hey.” She said before Jimin's worried voice sounded through the phone. He was whispering which meant that he had probably run off somewhere to call her. “Ye Jin! Oh my god, I can’t believe you're in the hospital!” he whispered, his voice full of concern. “Are you alright? What happened? Is anyone with you? I’m so sorry! I should be there with you!”

 

“Jimin, calm down. I’m alright.” She said soothingly, hoping that he wouldn’t blame himself for not being with her. “Honestly. I’m ok. I’m already feeling better.” she said, trying to sound as cheerful as possible. Jimin sighed heavily on the other side of the line. “I’m a horrible boyfriend. I can’t believe that I didn’t even know that you were in the hospital.” He said, his voice sounding hollow. “Jimin, don’t say that! It’s not your fault! You are not a horrible boyfriend!” she scolded.

 

He wanted to protest, he felt awful and guilty, but he didn’t want to stress her out by being pitiful. “How are you feeling?” he asked. “I’m already feeling a lot better.” she promised him. “You need to take better care of yourself. You're always fussing over me, making sure I've eaten and that I’m sleeping enough, but what about you?” she smiled, his worry making her feel loved and important. “I’m sorry. I just piled on too many shifts lately.” Jimin frowned. “You shouldn’t need to work so hard.” He said quietly. She frowned, “I know, but I don’t have any option.”

 

He sighed. “I know. I just can’t stand knowing that you're working yourself so hard.” He said. “I’m fine. Honestly.” She said reassuringly. “When are you getting released? I want to see you.” He said as someone called his name. “I’m not sure, but wouldn’t it be too risky for you to come here? What if you were recognised?” someone called Jimin's name again. “I’ll work something out. I need to go, I’m at a photoshoot. Keep your phone with you, ok? I’ll work out a way to come and see you.” He promised. “Ok. Go be handsome.” She said with a smile. “I’ll talk to you later. Get some rest, ok?” he said. She nodded even though he couldn’t see her. “Ok, I’ll talk to you later.”

 

They hung up and say lay back against her pillows, the short conversations completely draining her. She noted her low battery and sent a text to Mr Kim to ask him to bring her bag with him when he visited later so that she could use her charger. She put her phone onto her bedside unit and curled up, quickly falling asleep.