Chapter 10

The Takeout Girl

A week after she was released from hospital, Ye Jin finally went back to work at the restaurant and at the convenience store. Jackson and Mr Kim did their best to make sure she wasn’t overworking herself, and when she was on shift with Jaebum at the convenience store, he made sure to keep a close eye on her as well. Jimin tried even harder to keep in contact with her, feeling guilty that he couldn’t be there for her like he wanted to be. He felt guilty that she had to go back to an empty house every night.

 

One night after he finished practice, he headed to her apartment, the other members reminding him that he had to be back before their manager came to the dorm in the morning to pick them up for their schedule. She had ordered takeout for them, the food waiting for him when he arrived. He wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug the second she opened the door. “I missed you.” He said, his face buried in the crook of her neck. She chuckled at his affectionate words and actions. “I missed you too.” She said as he finally released her and shut the door behind him before taking off his cap and mask.

 

She ruffled his still damp hair. “You should have dried your hair before you came over.” She scolded, a smile on her face as they sat in the living room. “I didn’t want to waste time.” he said, wrapping his arms around her again, pressing a kiss to her forehead. She chuckled. “You're so cheesy.” She mumbled. He grinned at her, his eyes almost disappearing. “I like the candles.” He said, motioning to the many candles that were lit around the room. “They smell nice, right? Oh… that one went out.” She got up to check the candle which was next to the TV. “I’ll go grab the lighter.”

 

Jimin jumped to his feet. “Sit. I’ll get it.” She chuckled at him. “Kitchen. Second drawer.” She said as she pried the small candle out of its holder. He went into the kitchen and looked at the drawers. “Did she mean second from the right or left?” he mumbled to himself. He shrugged his shoulders and opened the one on the left. It was full of letters and random pieces of stationary. He rummaged through the drawers, a letter with bold, red ink on the front catching his attention. He pulled the envelope out of the drawer, the words FINAL NOTICE printed on the front.

 

He quickly glanced inside. The letter was dated for three days ago. Another envelope with the same bold red lettering was at the top of the pile, this one from another company. He pulled that one out as well, the date showing it was from a week ago. He frowned as worry began to claw at him. He knew how important it was for her to stay in this apartment. It was the last link she had with her family and it meant so much to her.

 

“Jimin? Did you find it?” she called from the living room. He quickly stuffed the envelopes back into the drawer, slamming it shut and quickly opening the one next to it, the lighter right at the top. “Yeah, I got it!” he called back, as he shut the drawer and hurried back through to the living room. He plopped back down in his spot, handing her the lighter. She thanked him and lit the candle, carefully putting it back into its holder before scooting back to curl into his side as they began to eat.

 

He tried to push away the thoughts of the letters, but the more he tried to not worry, the more worried he became. He couldn’t help but think how devastated she would be if she needed to leave her family home. And where would she go? Would she have to pack up her things and move in with Mr Kim? He had heard from her that Jaebum’s family had also offered to take her in. Thoughts like this continued to swirl through his head long after they had finished eating and continued watching their favourite drama.

 

Ye Jin had noticed his shift and mood and couldn’t figure out the reason for it. He had been so warm when he first arrived but he had become distant, as if he had a lot on his mind. Part of her wanted to ask him if everything was ok, but part of her also wanted to respect his privacy. If he wanted to tell her, he would… right?

 

The atmosphere slowly became awkward between the two of them. Both of them wrapped up in their own thoughts. Eventually, it became too much for her to bear. She shut off the TV, Jimin hardly noticing until she pulled away from him. “Jagi?” he asked, confused by her sudden action. “Jimin, is something wrong?” she asked nervously, fearing that she had done or said something to upset him. “No. Why?” he asked, his eyes downcast. He didn’t want to admit that he had been looking through her letters.

 

“You just seem kinda… off. Did something happen? Did I do something?” she asked, her voice become smaller as she spoke. Her heart was pounding as she thought of all the things that could be wrong. Was he tired of having a secret relationship with her? Was it causing him problems with the other members? Was it causing him problems at work? Was he tired of them always having to meet at her house because the risk of being caught was just so high?

 

She bit her bottom lip to stop it from trembling as those types of thoughts ran rampant through her mind. She would be lying if she said this was the first time she had had those types of thoughts. Jimin sat up straighter, immediately picking up on her insecurities. “Jagi. You haven’t done anything wrong! Why would you think that?” he asked gently, reaching out to grab her hand in his, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. Her gaze dipped, feeling a little embarrassed under his intense stare. “It’s just that since you got here you seem to be kinda down. I was just worried if something had happened? You were fine when you got here then suddenly…” she left the sentence hanging, not sure how to properly express herself.

 

He reached forward, pulling her into a tight hug. He let out a sigh as he tried to muster the courage to say what had been bothering him. “Jagi…” he started, taking a deep breath before continuing. “I’m sorry but when I was looking for the lighter I went into the wrong drawer. I saw the bills.” He said. She slowly pulled away from him, her eyes on her hands which were fisted in her lap. “I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to.” He said as he cupped her cheek, forcing her to look at him. “It’s ok.” She said, a small sense of relief blooming inside her. She understood how worried he must have been at seeing those letters.

 

“Don’t worry about them. I've got everything under control.” She promised, forcing a small smile on her face. Jimin frowned at her, his heart hurting as he thought about how hard she had been working lately and wondering how she could be behind on the bills. “You know that I missed quite a few shifts at both jobs right? Plus, it was my sister’s sixteenth birthday last week and her school fees were due. I sent her some money to buy herself something nice. It just left me a little short this month, that’s all. I’ve managed to work everything out and I’ll be able to get everything squared up this month.” She said giving him a small smile.

 

“Are you sure? I mean if you need money I-”

 

“No.” she said firmly. “I don’t need your money Jimin.” She said, her expression firm. He frowned. “Are you sure?” he asked. “If it makes you feel better I could just loan it to you.” She shook her head. “No way. I won't take your money. I’ve got this. Trust me. Everything will work out. I won't be the type of girlfriend that takes my boyfriend’s money.” He slipped his hands into hers. “Jagi…” he started but she cut him off by pressing a hard kiss to his mouth.

 

She pulled back and gave him a small smile. “Don’t worry. I’ve got it all covered. I took on a few extra shifts at the convenience store and that will cover what I was short this month.” He sighed, his worry not lessening but he didn’t want to push things. “You know that if you need help, my offer will always be valid, right?” she nodded and pressed another kiss to his lips. “I know. Thank you, Jimin.” She said as she scooted forward, curling up against him. He kissed the top of her head. “I love you.” He whispered against her hair. “I love you too.” She whispered back as he tipped her head back and pressed a searing kiss to her lips.