Chapter 02

The Takeout Girl

A week later, the boys had finished up a late practice session and headed to the Sun restaurant for some dinner. Jimin discreetly looked around, hoping that he would see Ye Jin, but there was no sign of her. Only old man Kim was working. He brought out the last plate of food apologising for taking so long. “Where’s the new girl that delivered to us last time? Isn’t she here to help?” Jimin asked, hoping that his interest in her wasn’t glaringly obvious. Mr Kim sat on the table beside theirs. “She’s already finished up for the night. If you'd gotten here just a little earlier, you could have seen her.” he said with a knowing wink.

 

Jimin flushed, “That’s not what I meant! I just meant that it must be tiring having to work alone when there’s so much food to prepare for us.” He mumbled as he started stuffing his face with his food. Jungkook snickered at him from across the table. “Then why did you only ask about her and not about Jackson hyung?” Jimin kicked him, throwing him a glare. Mr Kim laughed, clapping Jimin on the back. “You have good taste, she’s a lovely girl.” He said fondly. “Can you tell us more about her?” Jungkook asked giving Jimin an evil grin, which earned him another kick from his red-faced hyung.

 

Mr Kim chuckled again at Jimin's expression. “I’ve known her for her entire life. I was good friends with her father. He gave me the money to start this place!” he said wistfully, looking around the restaurant. He let out a small sigh, his gaze downcast. “Her parents were good people. You'd never meet anyone kinder than the two of them… they passed away six months ago. Leaving Ye Jin and her younger sister alone.” By now, all of the boys had stopped eating to listen. “What happened?” Jungkook asked, feeling a little guilty for bringing up such sad memories.

 

“Car accident. Bad weather. They had been visiting friends and drove back, even though they told them not to, but they didn’t listen. He was a nice man, but stubborn as they come. Ye Jin’s little sister was studying abroad at the time, really gifted with languages, she was always rabbiting on and on in different languages when she was small. She came home for the funeral, determined to come back to stay, but Ye Jin wouldn’t hear of it. She told her to go back and finish school. Ye Jin dropped out of university and started working more hours at her part time job, then I offered her some hours here as well. The shifts at the convenience store are sometimes until late at night. It worries me, a young girl like her having to work until the early hours of the morning.”

 

He cleared his throat and quickly stood up from the table. “Listen to me rambling on like the silly old man I am! Eat up your food before it gets cold. I’ll go bring out some more side dishes.” He said as he quickly disappeared into the kitchen. The boys slowly picked up their chopsticks and continued eating. “I didn’t expect that.” Jungkook said quietly, the other boys nodding, all feeling the same. The rest of the meal passed with only small snippets of conversation, all the boys thinking about the young girl and the hard fate she had been dealt.

 

 

 

A few days later, the boys were at their dorm, arguing over what to order for dinner. “Why don’t we just order from old man Kim’s place? That way Jin hyung can get his noodles and Taehyung can get his dumplings?” Jimin said coolly from his place on the couch. Six pairs of eyes landed on him, he looked up from his phone. “What?” he asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious. “You just want to see Ye Jin again, don’t you?” Taehyung teased. Jimin's ears turned red in embarrassment. “N-No! I just think that it’s the best idea! Old man Kim's place is really close by so he will deliver quickly, and it means everyone can get what they want to eat!” he said in a vain attempt to hide the fact that he actually did want to see Ye Jin again. He didn’t understand why he was so interested in her. They had met only briefly twice, but something about her just drew him to her.

 

All the other boys chuckled. “Ok, let’s call your girlfriend.” Yoongi said, a smirk on his face at Jimin's expression as he called the restaurant to place their order. Jimin sulked while the others made fun of him. He watched Taehyung and Jungkook battle on one of their many consoles until he heard a loud knock from their front door. He practically mowed Jin down as he raced for the door. “I’ll get it!” he yelled, ignoring the laughter from behind him. He quickly fixed his hair and straightened his clothes before opening the door, his best smile already in place.

 

“Hey.” He said, his heart starting to race as he finally laid eyes on her again. Her eyes widened in shock, “Oh my god, it’s you!” she said, a laugh making its way out of . “Sorry, that was rude.” She said covering , wishing she’d bothered to take off her helmet. Jimin chuckled at her, “It’s ok. How are you?” he asked as she bent down and started taking the food out of the box. “I’m good, thanks. How have you been?” she asked, glancing up at him still in disbelief that she was getting to meet him again. “Busy.” She nodded, “Yeah I bet.” She said. “You guys have been doing a lot of photoshoots and commercials lately. Plus, you have all the award shows and things as well, right?” she said as she stood back up.

 

He nodded, “Yeah, it’s been kinda hectic lately but its ok, you kinda get used to it after a while.” He said, his grin never leaving his face as he handed her the money for their food. She grinned back at him, “I better go. You should eat while it’s still hot.” She gave him a quick wave before disappearing down the hallway. Jimin shut the door and grabbed the food, taking as much as he could into the living room, Jin appearing a moment later with the rest of it. “So, how's your girlfriend doing?” Taehyung teased. Jimin pouted and hit him over the head with a pair of chopsticks. “She’s not my girlfriend!” he whined.

 

“I don’t know, either you were desperate to see her or you were just really hungry. You just about ran Jin hyung over as you bolted to the door.” Jungkook said as he grabbed his food and jumped to the other side of the living room, out of Jimin's strike range. “Shut up maknae.” He mumbled as he grabbed his own bowl of food.

 

 

A couple of hours later, the boys had separated to do their own things. Some of them were sleeping, some were watching TV or playing games, and some of them were working. Jimin was watching a variety show when he heard a knock at the door. “It’s probably manager hyung. He must have forgotten the code again, go let him in.” Yoongi mumbled from the couch. Jimin sighed and got up. He opened the door and was surprised to see Ye Jin standing there. “Hey.” He said, confused but delighted by her sudden appearance. “Hey, you guys forgot to put the dishes out again.” she said with a small smile. Jimin gasped in realisation. “Sorry! Ok, one second!” he said as he ran into the kitchen to gather the dishes. 

 

He spotted a set of post its on the counter and was struck by an idea. He quickly grabbed them and scribbled something onto the top one before carefully folding it. He went back to the door and gave her a sheepish grin. “Sorry.” He said as he handed her the plates. “Don’t worry about it.” She said as she put the dishes away, the bright pink post it catching her eye, “What’s this?” she said as she reached out for the note. “Don’t!” Jimin yelled. She snatched her hand back like it was a snake and not a piece of paper. “Why?!” she asked, her heart racing because of his sudden shout.

 

“Don’t look at it now! You weren’t supposed to notice it yet! Ah, this is embarrassing…” he said with a chuckle. “Look at it later, ok?” he said. Her grin returned as her heartbeat returned to normal. “Ok.” She agreed, a small smile on her face. Jimin gave her another grin and a wave as she picked up her things and headed down the hallway. Once she reached her moped, she attached the box, her curiosity winning as she pulled the post it note off of the bowl. She chuckled at Jimin's hastily written note. She carefully put it into her pocket as she put on her helmet, the smile never leaving her face as she headed back to the restaurant.