Chapter 12

The Takeout Girl

Ye Jin stood outside of Sun restaurant, her hand over as tears welled up in her eyes. Someone had vandalized the front of the restaurant. The words ‘’ and ‘’ covered the shutters and windows in red spray paint. She pushed open the door, the tables and chairs all knocked over. The cutlery and crockery lay scattered across the floor while Mr Kim stood in the middle of it calmly sweeping up. “Uncle…” she said, her voice breaking. Mr Kim looked up at her with sad eyes. “Ye Jin.” He said as he opened his arms for her. She ran forward, a sob making its way out of her as he hugged her tightly.

 

“I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.” She said in between sobs. “No, no, no. This isn’t your fault.” He said as he smoothed her hair back. “This was probably some silly, jealous girls. This isn’t your fault.” He repeated. She took a step back, wiping her tears away with her sleeve. “I am so, so sorry. I’ll pay for everything.” She promised. “Jeon Ye Jin.” He said, his tone sounding like a father reprimanding their child. “I will not listen to that kind of nonsense. If you truly feel sorry then grab a broom.” He said as he grabbed the broom he had been using and passed it to her.

 

He sniffed once more and took the broom without another word. They spent the rest of the day cleaning. Mr Kim tried more than once to strike up a conversation with her, but she kept her head down, guilt eating away at her. At dinner time he forcibly sat her down, putting a plate of food in front of her. “Eat.” He commanded as he sat opposite her and began eating his own plate of food. She hesitantly lifted her chopsticks, his kindness only making her feel a million times worse. She wanted him to get angry with her. To shout at her, curse her, fire her, anything. But he was acting as if nothing had happened and it made her stomach twist painfully. He had been so nice to her for her entire life, and she was repaying him by having his restaurant trashed.

 

“Eat.” He said after ten minutes of her playing with her food. She hesitantly brought some food to , chewing slowly as she tried to force the food down, her stomach so twisted with guilt that even one mouthful was torture. After another fifteen minutes Mr Kim sighed loudly, sitting back on his chair. “Ye Jin…” he said. “I’m sorry.” She said quickly as she stood up, taking his empty plate and her full plate back to the kitchen. He sighed loudly as the sounds of cleaning started back up. He pushed himself up and continued cleaning with her.

 

 

 

Jimin had never been so thankful for practice to be cancelled before. Despite his manager’s threat that he would need to have double vocal training, their vocal trainer had caught a cold, meaning they could leave early. He knew it was risky to return to the restaurant, but he figured that he could sneak through the back door without getting caught. He promised his hyungs that he wouldn’t be long, he just wanted to see Ye Jin and explain everything to her face to face and reassure her that everything was going to be ok.

 

He sneaked into the restaurant through the back door, startling Mr Kim. “Oh, Jimin! You almost gave this old man a heart attack.” He said with a small chuckle. Jimin smiled apologetically. “Sorry. Is Ye Jin here?” he asked, knowing that she was supposed to be working tonight. Mr Kim frowned, his face creased with worry. “I just sent her home.” He said. Worry spiked in Jimin. “Is she ok?” he asked, his voice full of concern. Mr Kim sighed and shook his head. “No. Last night some crazy people vandalized the restaurant.” Jimin gasped. “Oh my god, who would do something like that?”

 

Mr Kim's eyes darted out of the kitchen, the spray printed insults clear to see. Jimin stepped forward and froze when he saw the words. “No…” he said, unable to comprehend the situation. “She’s been totally shaken all day. She told me about the photographs on the internet, she’s blaming herself.” Jimin shook his head violently. “No. None of this is her fault!” he shouted as panic and worry coursed through him.

 

“I know. I told her that, but you know how stubborn she can be.” Mr Kim said with a shake of his head. “I’ll pay for all the damages.” Jimin said quickly. “How long ago did she leave?” he said, his mind racing. “You’ll do no such thing.” Mr Kim said. “Just go catch up with her, she only left ten minutes ago, she can’t be far. You find her and you tell her that this isn’t her fault, alright?” Jimin nodded before rushing out of the door, all thoughts of hiding himself forgotten as he tore down the street.

 

 

His legs burned as he ran down the familiar streets that would lead him to her apartment. He finally caught up with her, only two blocks away from her apartment. “Ye Jin!” he yelled. She spun around, her eyes wide with shock as tears spilled down her cheeks. Jimin ran up to her, almost knocking her to the ground as he barrelled into her, wrapping his arms around her. “Jagi.” He said as he pressed a kiss to the top of her head. “I was just at the restaurant, Mr Kim told me what happened.” He felt her tremble as sobs shook her body. “It’s all my fault.” She wailed as she buried her head into his shoulder, her hands in the back of his hoodie. He held her tightly making soothing sounds as he let her cry.

 

 

 

“Everything’s going to be ok, Jagi.” He finally said. She pushed away from him, tears staining her face. “How can you say that?” she said, guilt fuelling her emotions. “Jagi…” he said reaching out for her. “Everything is going to be ok.” He repeated. “I’ll cover the cost of replacing the damaged things at Mr Kim’s restaurant and the hyungs helped me talk to our manager. We managed to smooth everything over. All I need to do is let the company make the statement and we can stay together.”

 

Her eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean? Are you saying that they were going to make us break up?” she said. Jimin mentally cursed himself. “It’s ok, Jagi.” He said as he grabbed her hands. “They said that at first but once the hyungs and I spoke to our manager we managed to change their minds.” He said, giving her a small smile. “I’m so sorry this happened, but everything is going to be ok.”

 

“Stop saying that!” she yelled as she ripped her hands out of his and took a step back. Jimin blinked at her, her sudden outburst startling him. “How can you keep on saying that everything is going to be ok? You should have seen the state of the restaurant this morning. They destroyed everything! And the things they wrote on the windows and the walls…” she started pacing back and forth. Jimin wanted to hug her but he could tell that she was too worked up for that. “Not only that but you got in trouble as well!” she continued. “This is all my fault. None of this would have happened if it wasn’t for me.” She said, more to herself than to him as she stopped pacing.

 

“Jagi…” he reached forward for her put she pulled her hands out of his grasp. “Don’t.” she said, holding her hands behind her back. “I can’t do this Jimin.” She said, her voice so low he almost didn’t hear her. “What do you mean you can’t do this? Do what Jagi?” he asked as fear clutched at his chest. She looked up at him, tears b in her eyes once again. “This.” She said motioning between the two of them. “After what happened to uncle Kim’s restaurant and all the trouble and worry I’ve brought you…” she pulled in a shaky breath. “I can’t do this anymore Jimin. I’m so sorry.” She said, her voice breaking as she said his name.

 

Jimin's eyes burned with tears. “Jagi… Ye Jin. Don’t do this… please.” He begged as he reached out for her again. She stepped back, a loud sob making its way out of . “I am so sorry.” She rasped before she turned and ran. Jimin yelled after her, his legs feeling like lead as she disappeared around the corner, going the opposite direction of her apartment. “Ye Jin!” he yelled as his legs finally obeyed him and he took off down the street. He turned the corner and ran, hoping he would catch up with her.

 

He arrived at a crossroads, there were three roads, each of them deserted. He screamed her name as his head whipped back and forth, eyes straining as he desperately tried to catch a glimpse of her. “Ye Jin!” he called, his voice breaking as tears rolled down his cheeks. He stood there, helplessly looking at the three roads until his hands grew numb with cold. Only when his body was completely drained did he turn and slowly make his way back to the dorm, his heart feeling almost as heavy as his body.

 

When he finally made it back to the dorm, only Jin was still awake. He stood in the kitchen, a sleepy look on his face as he made a cup of tea. His greeting to Jimin died in his throat as he took in his expression. “What happened?” he asked as he rushed to the younger man’s side. Jimin looked up at him with a broken expression. “Hyung…” he said, his voice hollow. “She broke up with me.” He said as his tears restarted and he dropped to his knees, his emotions too much for him to bear.