oo7

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung's POV

I greeted my brother and his wife. Her name was Jung Yuri. I vaguely remembered her. They married only a few months after my sister was taken. Then they moved away and that was it. In these past three years we hadn't contacted each other until now.

"Brother." Daehyun easily smiled and I narrowed my eyes. He looked to Jiyoon and oddly I felt like moving her behind me. I didn't know Daehyun anymore or what he was capable of.

We stared at each other, no one making the first move to sit. Thankfully, the waiter pulled us out of our staring contest by asking us what we wanted to drink. Awkwardly, I lowered myself in a seat. Jiyoon sat up straighter and even unwrapped my silver wear. Rather than stopping her, I let her play the wife role. Better they thought this was normal for us.

Daehyun spoke again. "I can't believe you actually got married. Never thought I'd see the day."

Me either.

I introduced my wife. "This is Jung Jiyoon." She smiled and lowered her head. Yuri returned the expression but they didn't speak to each other.

The waiter returned and we ordered our food. I went ahead and ordered for Jiyoon, like last time.

Daehyun was the first to speak. "When I heard you got married I knew I had to see it for myself to believe it. When you turned in your specifications at 21 I never believed they'd find a girl for you. Yet, here we are."

"Yes." I didn't divulge any further. He was beating around the bush and I just wanted to know why he was really here.

He laughed a little before growing serious, picking up on my mood. "I need a job brother."

"Why?" Jiyoon jumped a little at my harsh tone.

There was no reply at first. The waiter brought our food giving him a slight reprieve from my penetrating gaze.

"How's mom?"

"You don't get to ask about her."

"Jinyoung." He let out a breath. "Yuri is pregnant. I need financial stability. We traveled a lot in Japan. The last of our money was used to come back here. I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't desperate. You can give me the worst job. Anything will work."

Yuri placed a hand on his arm.

"Boy or girl?" I grumbled, looking anywhere but at them.

"What?"

"Boy or girl?" I repeated.

Daehyun shook his head. "Don't know yet."

"If I give you a job there won't be any special treatment. I will expect the same amount of rigor from you as I do from all my other employees. Also, do you have a place to stay?"

"Not yet, I was going to speak to father-"

"Don't. It's better if they don't know you're here. I'll get a condo for you. In exchange you never speak of mother again. You've put her through enough."

He lowered his head. I was being harsh, but he deserved it. There would be no forgiveness from me. I'd make sure he had a decent job in the company, but somewhere where I wouldn't have to see him on a daily basis. Already I could imagine what Sandeul would have to say.

"Thank you brother." The dinner was quiet after that. Yuri never spoke but Daehyun tried to strike up a conversation with Jiyoon.

"So, what's it like living with Jinyoung? I remember he was very controlling and liked things clean when we were younger."

She glanced at me, probably unsure if she should answer or not. I had told her not too before but I nodded that this question was okay. I was a little curious about it myself.

"I love living with Jinyoung. He's a wonderful husband." She reached for my hand, giving it a light squeeze.

Liar. If I was such a great husband you wouldn't be hiding from me right now.

"I see. I'm happy for you Hyung."

After that he idly talked about Japan and their culture. How there were many similarities but ultimately it was completely different. They ran their wife system a little more strictly and controlled the society better than over here. It was an interesting thought. I had never considered other countries and what they may do differently.

Was there a place out there that didn't follow this ridiculous plan?

Daehyun stood with Yuri. I told them I would pay. "It was nice meeting you Jiyoon."

Once they left my tense shoulders dropped. Not once during our conversation did I touch my food. Even now there was no appetite. Jiyoon was speaking to the waiter but I didn't catch any of i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter