o13

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Rules."

I blinked.

"Rules?"

"We're married in the eyes of society but inside this house we're just roomates."

I gave him a blank look.

"Didn't you room with anyone at the institute?"

"I was never allowed one. Since I was top of the class they kept me in isolation so as to not be brought down by my peers."

Jinyoung's POV

Yesterday after insuring Jiyoon that she would remain here I thought it would be best to come up with some rules. 

I didn't want her going back to thinking we were married. We were just two people who lived together. Two people forced together because this ridiculous society made it so.

"So rule one. Inside the walls of this house we are not married. The guest room is officially yours and you can do whatever you want to it. We also share this house so you don't need to ask my permission about things anymore. Or wait for me to start eating."

She opened to speak but I stopped her.

"Rule two. Outside the walls of this house we are married. We will act however we must to keep up the charade."

I nodded for her to go ahead.

​​​​​​​"I'm not sure I fully understand. I'll live in this house with you not as your wife?"

​​​​​​​"Exactly. You are your own person. My opinion doesn't matter."

Her face went blank and I was afraid I broke her again. 

"Jiyoon?"

"I don't understand."

I sighed.

Jiyoon's POV

He was asking something of me that I couldn't wrap my head around. And I knew he wouldn't like the only answer I could come up with in response.

I would do anything he asked of me.

"It's alright. With time we'll find a balance." He looked at his watch. "I need to leave."

I started walking with him to the door but he stopped and looked down at me. "Roommates don't walk roommates to the door."

​​​​"​Oh."

"I'll be back tonight."

He left and I was confused.

If I understood everything, Jinyoung wasn't going to send me away. That alone had relieved most of my anxiety. And he said I was only his wife when in public. In this house, I simply lived with him.

It wasn't the same as the maids because I didn't work for him. But it wasn't a wife because we weren't affectionate towards one another. Just two people sharing the same space.

I didn't like it.

In time he said we'd find a balance, I just hoped that balance meant us drawing together both emotionally and physically.

All that was left was figuring out what to do with my day.

Jinyoung's POV

Sandeul was staring at me with bright eyes.

"What?" I felt wary of him and took a step away.

"Heard you're not sending that pretty wife of yours away anymore."

I shifted a glare to Shin Woo who was suddenly very interested in the structure of my book shelf.

"And? Just because I don't want her doesn't mean I'm going to send her to...that place. I'm not cruel."

"Yeah. Yeah. Tell yourself that all you want. There has to be some part of you that wants her, as a woman." My cheeks reddened and he fell back cackling. "I knew it!"

I could only shake my head. Sandeul couldn't be reasoned with.

"Get out of my office, I have work to do."

Jiyoon's POV

I didn't know what to do. Not a single clue! I couldn't get a job. And the maids did all the cooking and cleaning so my services weren't needed there. I helped every once in awhile but I needed something only I could do. A hobby. Other than playing the piano I didn't know what to be other than a good wife. It's all the institute taught me.

If I didn't busy myself I'd only continuously relive what almost happened to me with Himchan.

The door bell rang. That was unusual and it put a sick feeling in my stomach.

​​​​​​​Yongguk answered and I was face to face with Daehyun. He had a concerned expression.

"Jiyoon-ssi." He greeted.

"Daehyun-ssi." Aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter