o12

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door to my office opened and I groaned. I rolled over on the couch, burying myself deeper under the blanket.

"Jinyoung? Did you sleep here?" Shin Woo and his fatherly concern. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Yeah."

"May I ask why?"

He started the coffee pot and the warm smell filled the space. How much did I want Shin Woo to know?

"Hyung, do you know what happens to the girls that get sent back?"

His hesitation was obvious. "Not when you asked me to fill out the paperwork. I told Hyunjung about your...predicament and she explained why it was wrong to send her back. She was hysterical about it. I only found out recently."

"Do you think it's too late to retract the paperwork?

He widened his eyes. "P-probably not."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Did something happen?" I jumped to my feet. Had someone already come for her?

"I, uh, never sent it in. I had hoped you'd fall in love with her. Please forgive me." He bowed low.

I couldn't be mad. Not now. "It's okay. Thank you for not requesting her return."

He smiled. "So, do you feel anything for her?"

"Hyung." I sighed.

"Its been so long. You haven't grown affectionate?"

"No." I poured us both a cup of coffee. Jiyoon said so last night. I didn't care for her.

"Wait, why did you sleep here then?"

Shin Woo always knew what questions to ask.

"Just because. It doesn't matter now." It wouldn't matter anymore. She'd know this afternoon that I was no longer sending her away. There were just a few things that would have to change around the house. Today I would take time to organize my thoughts. I had to really think this through so I wouldn't hurt her any further.

I couldn't imagine the turmoil she must have been going through all this time. How long has she known I was trying to send her away? It would explain some of her reactions when out amongst others. And possibly why she was trying so hard to be a good wife. Actually, a lot was explained now.

My fingers tapped on the table. I should tell her now that I'm not sending her back. If not she'll worry about it all day. Especially after our conversation last night and the fact that I left right after. As far as she knew, I was still set in my plans. Abruptly I stood, startling Shin Woo.

"I need to go home. See you tomorrow."

"But the day just started!"

Yes it did, but I needed to get back to Jiyoon. She needed to know that everything was going to be okay.

As I raced home I thought again about what happened last night. She left me on my knees leaning on the couch. I could hear her tears and it tortured me. I had to leave, had to drive around. Then I found myself at the office and hadn't left since.

I was scared to face her. Scared to see the hopelessness on her face. I didn't want her and she knew that. I wouldn't send her back though, I wasn't a cruel man. 

My sister flitted across my mind. She wasn't 21 yet and that scared me. What if her husband didn't want her? I couldn't even think of it.

I pulled up to the house.

"Jiyoon! Jiyoon!" I busted through the front door. Hira was startled. "Where is Jiyoon?"

"Upstairs. Sir, is everything okay?"

"It will be." I patted her head which made her even more confused.

I ran up the stairs two at a time. "Ji-" I stopped when I spied her in the guest room. She was sitting on the edge of the bed. Silent tears were rolling down her face and she was my last name, tattooed across her wrist.

The door didn't squeak when I pu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter