oo1

The Wife System
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was one purpose a woman was born for. It was to love her husband and raise a family. I had been trained since birth in the art of cooking, sewing, and childcare. It was an honor to be the top of my class. That meant a high level man would want me. The more power he had the better off I would be. Never mind how I was treated, it would be a better life than a lower class. Everyone knew this.

The lower class consisted of anyone making minimum wage. They were the construction workers, retail, waiters. By marrying one of them, it was clear your life would be filled with work and little else. When marrying in the upper class, who were the office workers, CEOs, one woman had even married the ruler of South Korea, it would be a life of ease. Only the man had to work in those situations, the woman would take care of the house.

I studied hard these past 21 years to ensure I would be with someone of the higher class. I didn't want a lowly life with a man who would need me to work as well. We were all taught this. We were to strive for the highest title if we even hoped of having a good life.

The rest of my graduating class stood in a long line. We were ranked by our scores, I was at the front of the line. It was clear what sort of man I would marry.

Our Councilor, who was in charge of the entire school, came forward. "Ladies. Today is a glorious day! It's what you have been trained for all these years." She held up a stack of papers. "Here, I have your futures. As I call your name, please come forward, you'll be taken straight to your husband who is waiting for you."

"Moon Marya." She was a tough looking girl with a rough personality. She was the bottom of the class. It was a miracle she even graduated. "Yoo Youngjae is your husband. He's a mechanic." There was no emotion on her face as she held out her wrist for his last name to be tattooed across her wrist.

It was our mark to prove we were married and to who. If we were ever to get into trouble, only our husbands could save us.

As she left I felt pity for her. A mechanic wasn't a very impressive man. I didn't want to think what kind of character he would have.

The Councilor continued to call the women forward, as it got closer to the front of the line I straightened a little. It was almost time. Who would be waiting for me? A director? The chief of police? I felt giddy at the thought. The last girl left and I knew my eyes were sparkling.

"Kwon Jiyoon." She closed the folder she was holding. "Please come with me."

I was taken aback. Was my husband not waiting for me? Perhaps he was too important of a person?

She opened the door to her office and offered me a seat. "I would like to discuss the issue with your husband." A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter