Home?: Progress is Great

I'm not Trespassing, I'm a Detective

Jun grinned down at Joshua who just sat down at the table.  “Welcome back detective. Brought back another prince I see.”

Joshua snorted. “You forgot that you brought one back too.” He raised his eyebrow at Jun, who finally sat down to join Joshua. “One that didn’t leave your home.”

Jun busied himself with his menu, trying very badly to make it seem like he wasn’t blushing. “Wonwoo has nothing to do with this.”

“Then don’t bring up Jeonghan,” Joshua retorted. “Bringing back strays is just a side effect of the job.”

“Like a dusty desk full of paperwork that needs to be processed so the case files can be put away,” Jun chuckled, remembering how Joshua’s desk was a mess as he passed it on his way out of the office earlier.

“Vacation Junnie,” Joshua yawned. “I’m due back in next week anyhow to start clearing away paperwork and finally close the cases that I couldn’t before I got pulled into the field.”

“I’m just glad I can get into the field again,” he murmured, rotating his shoulder. Jun had taken a fall during his last case, dislocating his shoulder, which grounded him in the office as he recovered.

Shooting him a look, Joshua asked, “It’s all good to go? Doctor cleared you?”

Jun stuck his tongue out at him. “Of course, mother hen. Clean bill of health. I’ve been working out too, just to get back into shape.”

Joshua nodded, nudging Jun with his foot as the waiter arrived to take their orders. “Good. Being confined to the desk is weird for any of us.”


“I saw them prepping your prince for some exercise,” Jun said his mouth around his straw. “Combat training I think. Trying to gauge his skills.”

“Not my prince,” Joshua muttered, taking a forkful of potatoes and egg. They had brought Jeonghan’s sword back. A memento that sliced and diced.

Laughing, Jun shook his head. “Sure. Not from what his vibe is saying.”

“You never learned to read people well,” Joshua teased, poking fun at Jun’s old weakness.

Jun squawked. “I’m hurt! How could you?!”

“Tell the truth?” Joshua asked, a smirk on his face.

He clutched at his heart, dramatically leaning back into his chair. “I’m dying. My favorite hyung killed me.”

Joshua kicked at a chair leg, startling Jun out of his position. Snorting, he settled in the chair. “You won’t die. You have Prince Wonwoo to wake you up.”

Jun blushed like a tomato.


Joshua walked into the building, nodding and greeting his coworkers and friends. He waved Jun off to his desk. He had a prince to pick up.

Quietly, he pushed open the door to the gym. All field agents trained there.

Metal clangs rang through the air. Jeonghan was going toe to toe with one of the other strays a detective had brought back from a case. Ben trained swordsmanship. A weird thing when they thought about it in terms of modern times but half of these magical kingdoms weren’t modern so they never knew when they had to pick up a sword to defend themselves.

Jeonghan swung, grinning as he drove Ben back.

Joshua could see the sweat he worked up as it covered his face and the tshirt he wore was stained, clinging to his body.

Ben fought back, making Jeonghan work to defend himself.

Ducking, Jeonghan kicked at his feet, causing him to stumble. Jeonghan took the chance to knock Ben’s sword out of his hands. It skidded off to the side.

A bit like Joshua’s heart actually, which took a lurch as he watched Jeonghan sword fight. Oh god, did he feel a blush coming on? Was his cheeks getting red?!

Jeonghan laughed, sheathing his sword. “Good fight.”

Ben nodded, smiling back. “You’re quite skilled.”

“Well, I was once the best swordsman in my country.”

Ben spotted Joshua. “Someone’s here to pick you up. Our session is done for the day. I’ll see you tomorrow Jeonghan.”

“Of course.” Jeonghan gave him a short bow before turning to Joshua, giving Joshua a bright smile.

Joshua’s heart thumped.