Home? : Stray

I'm not Trespassing, I'm a Detective

 A/N: And so we begin another arc. Time for some fluff and relationship developing, after this chapter


“Detective,” she said, looking at Joshua with her eyes just a bit over her glasses. “The crown prince of Roselium is requesting asylum.”

“His kingdom is, as I reported, in ruins. Everyone is dead. There’s nothing left for him there. The goddess Roselia herself said so. He decided to come back with me.” What else was there left for Joshua to say? That the prince seemed to have a romantic interest in Joshua. That despite all of his bravado he seemed so unsure and scared and it reminded Joshua too much of his dog he adopted on another case.

She sighed. “The problem with saving parts of the world is that we always have displaced people. Oh well. Get him to the DH unit then.”

Joshua stood half way up, hands on the chair arms. “About my request?”

“Approved. You’ve been on too many cases without taking a vacation and we don’t want a burn out again. Enjoy your time off.”

Joshua nodded. “Thank you, ma’am.”

“One more thing,” she said, smiling at Joshua in that proud parent sort of way, “good job.”

He bowed shallowly and left.


Walking down the hall, he was joined by Soonyoung. “Hey,” he said, “I’m surprised you brought back another stray.”

“Jeonghan isn’t a stray,” Joshua protested, “he’s a displaced prince. Jun brought one back.”

Soonyoung laughed, clutching at Joshua’s shoulder. “Princes are strays when you bring them back to the agency looking a bit sad and unsure about what to do.”

“Well,” Joshua huffed, “I’m taking him to the DH unit and they can help him get on his feet and be a working person in society. Most likely here at the agency helping us like others have.”

But Soonyoung wouldn’t let up. He took the chance to tease Joshua, something he did rarely. He was nice like that. But not today. “Did he remind you of Blue? He looked a bit like your dog when you brought him in like a lost puppy.”

“That’d be Mingyu,” Joshua deadpanned, waiting for Soonyoung to stop laughing at the joke before he continued, “and no. He needed help and it’s our job.”

“He’s hot. Better keep him away from all the singles in our agency. They love the idea of being married to a prince,” Soonyoung warned, waving his hand about. He shuddered as he remembered the slight crazed gleaming in some of their eyes when Jun brought back Wonwoo.

Scoffing, Joshua pulled Soonyoung along. If he let the other man stand there he’d get hit sooner or later by researchers who had their nose buried in their books. “They think that because they’re a prince they’ll be a princess when they marry them. Problem is that most of the kingdoms are gone.”

“And what about the prince you brought back?”

“If he had lots of money, which I guess he would know where to find it in that ruined castle of his and time. He’d probably be able to bring his kingdom back from ruins.” Joshua sighed, shaking his head, “I don’t think he wants to though.” Hand on the door to the department, Joshua paused, “It doesn’t matter anyhow. What he wants to do is what he wants to do.”

Soonyoung nodded. He wasn’t going to say about the way Jeonghan had looked at Joshua as he had told Jeonghan to sit there and stay while Joshua went through debriefing. There was no way the prince was going to leave unless Joshua wanted to go back with him. But that was a secret he’d keep to himself.