Chapter 09

Escape

The next morning, Namjoon woke up with a slight headache. He thanked his lucky stars that it wasn’t worse than it was. He had barely slept after his kiss with Sam on the roof. His heart raced when he remembered the soft feeling of her lips against his but then he remembered how the kiss ended and he just felt confused. He had knocked on her door when he finally came down from the roof last night but she hadn’t answered. He didn’t know if she had fallen asleep or if she was ignoring him. He had gone to bed, hoping that he would be able to talk to her in the morning.

 

He forced himself out of bed, noting with a frown that her bedroom was already empty. He had a shower, surprised by the ache in his muscles. He made a promise to himself that he would work out more if such a short time dancing had such a big impact on him. He took his time getting ready, taking a little extra time in his appearance. He knew it was silly, but he still wanted to look his best whenever he saw her.

 

He made his way down to the café, surprised to see that everything had been cleaned up from the night before. Amber waved at him from behind the counter. He went up to her, leaning against the counter as she made him a coffee, peering into the kitchen to try and catch a glimpse of Sam. “Hungover?” she asked him, a small smile on her face as she took in his tired expression. He chuckled, “A little. I haven’t been drunk in a while.” He said as he sipped at his coffee. She laughed, “At least you’re better than Taehyung. He’s apparently been throwing up all morning. You should see the messages Jimin sent me this morning.” She said with a laugh. He smiled back at her, only half paying attention. All he wanted to do was speak to Sam, but he couldn’t hear or see her in the kitchen.

 

“Hey, is Sam back there?” he asked. Amber shook her head. “Nope. After we finished clearing up after last night she said she had some errands to run. She left just before you came down.” She said as she organised the cake display. He thanked her, a small frown forming on his face as he took his regular seat by the window as the café slowly filled up with people. He wondered if she had gone out on purpose because she didn’t want to see him. He pushed that thought away, telling himself that he was being silly. She had her own life and it’s not like she had to spend her every waking moment in the café.

 

He sat and sulked for over an hour, annoyed that she still hadn’t come back. He eventually grabbed his things from his room and went out for a walk, hoping to burn off some of his nervous energy. He put his earphones in, turning the volume up to the max, his notebook in his bag, suddenly inspired to write. He found the little park he had sat in before, choosing a spot in the shade as he started to write. The words flowed effortlessly from his pen. He spilled out his frustration and confusion onto the pristine white paper in front of him. He completely lost track of time as he wrote.

 

Only when his stomach began to rumble did he decide to go back to the café. He grabbed some street food from the small market which led onto the street where the café was. When he entered the café, he caught a brief glimpse of Sam as she disappeared into the kitchen. Jimin gave him a tired wave from behind the counter. “Hey.” He greeted as he suppressed a yawn. Namjoon chuckled at the boy’s sleepy expression and messy hair, his desire to talk to Sam temporarily forgotten. “Hey.” He said as he slipped onto the bar stool at the counter. “You look exhausted.”

 

Jimin groaned loudly. “It’s all Taehyung's fault! He knows he can’t drink well but he always ends up like that! It took Amber and I forever to get him back to the dorms. Then he spent half the morning throwing up.” he grumbled as he stifled another yawn. Namjoon chuckled sympathetically. Jimin looked over his shoulder before leaning over the counter towards Namjoon. “Did something happen with Sam last night?” he asked curiously. Namjoon's eyebrows shot upwards at the sudden question. “W-what do you mean?”

 

Jimin frowned. “I don’t know. She just seems a little off today. I was wondering if anything happened after we left?” he asked. Namjoon shook his head. “Not really, we had a couple more drinks on the roof then we went to bed.” He said, hoping that Jimin wouldn’t see through his lie. Jimin shrugged and pulled back to his side of the counter. “Maybe she’s just hungover then.” He said, too tired to dwell on the situation any longer, for which Namjoon was eternally thankful.

 

Sam walked out of the kitchen, her eyes landing on Namjoon. She froze in the doorway as his eyes met hers. Her cheeks burned as she quickly turned to Jimin. “Hey, when you get a chance can you help me clean out those cupboards at the back?” she said, the orange haired boy nodding. She gave Namjoon another quick look before disappearing back into the staff room at the back of the kitchen. Namjoon frowned at her behaviour. He spent the rest of the afternoon trying to talk to her, but she always found some excuse to not talk to him. By the time Jimin and Amber went home, he was beyond frustrated.

 

She was the one that had kissed him, yet she was the one who was acting strangely. He wasn’t being unreasonable by wanting to talk about what had happened. He waited in his regular chair while she finished up whatever she had to do in the staffroom. It felt like an eternity later when she finally emerged, snapping the lights off behind her. He stood up and slowly walked towards her. She froze, part of her wanting to run and hide, but his intense gaze held her in place.

 

He stopped a few steps in front of her, not wanting to crowd her and make her feel any more uncomfortable than she already was. “Sam…” he said, suddenly forgetting all of the speeches that he had spent half the afternoon mentally rehearsing. She looked up at him, a guilty look on her face. She knew exactly what he wanted to talk to her about. She was well aware that he had been trying to talk to her all day, but she had been desperate to put off the conversation off for as long as possible. “Sam, what happened last night?” he asked, his confusion and pain clear to hear. She didn’t answer, instead biting her lip.

 

He waited for a few minutes, sighing softly when she didn’t reply. “About the kiss… what did it mean? Was it because you were drunk? If so, its ok, as long as you just tell me. I've been in limbo since you ran off last night. I don’t know what to say or think. Then you’ve been avoiding me all day which has just made me more worried.” He said, blurting out everything he had held onto since last night.

 

“I like you!” she half shouted, her eyes screwed shut. Namjoon looked at her in shock. “I like you.” She repeated, this time her voice barely above a whisper. “I’ve liked you since we first met but I didn’t realise just how much I liked you until last night.” She admitted, her gaze firmly fixed on the ground between them. “Then I kissed you and it felt wrong but right at the same time.” she said, running her hand down her face, still refusing to look at him, worried about how he would respond to her confession. “I mean I hadn’t even hinted at liking you and I practically threw myself at you. I’m not usually like that. I shocked myself. Then when we kissed… it just felt so right that I got scared.” She admitted.

 

She shook her head. “This probably doesn’t even make any sense. I still can’t work it all out myself.” She muttered, half to herself. Namjoon couldn’t believe what he was hearing. All day he had been mentally preparing himself for her to say that she had just been caught up in the moment and had kissed him because she was drunk. He hadn’t dared to believe that she liked him. He closed the distance between them, slipping his fingers under her chin to tilt her head up as he pressed his lips against hers in a hard kiss. Her hands fisted into his t-shirt as his other arm wrapped around her, pulling her flush against him.

 

“I like you too.” He said into their kiss, their lips still touching as he confessed. She jumped up a little, wrapping her arms around his neck, a happy giggle escaping as he pulled him into another kiss, picking up where they had left off from the night before.