Chapter 06

Escape

That night, after Amber and Taehyung had gone home and she had closed up the café, Sam sat up on the roof, a cold beer in hand as music played from the small speakers connected to her phone. The night was nice and cool compared to the daytime, she closed her eyes, letting the cool breeze caress her skin, raising goose bumps along her arms. A frown formed on her face when she remembered that Jason had once again turned up at the café. She exhaled loudly, opening her eyes and looking out at the twinkling lights of the city around them.

 

“Hey, you ok?” she turned around at the sound of Namjoon's smooth voice. He stood at the top of the stairs that led onto the roof. She smiled at him, hoping that it looked convincing. “Yeah, I’m fine.” He stepped up onto the roof, moving to sit beside her. He gave her a disbelieving look. “You sure?” she nodded, taking a swig of her beer, not able to meet his gaze. They sat in a comfortable silence for a while, the only sound the quiet music until Sam finally spoke up. “Jason turning up here kinda rattled me a bit.” She admitted quietly. Namjoon nodded. He figured that was the reason she had been a little off all afternoon, but he hadn’t been sure how to broach the subject.

 

“When did you two break up?” he asked, curiosity getting the better of him. “About six months ago.” She let out a rueful chuckle. “It’s been a while since he turned up here. I thought he'd finally given up. He doesn’t even live in this city.” She said as she put her hands behind her, leaning back on them, tilting her head back to look at the stars above them. “You remember I told you that this place used to belong to my grandpa?” she asked. Namjoon nodded. “Well I lived in a different city with my parents when he passed away. He left this place to me in his will. My parents told me just to sell it, but I just couldn’t.” Namjoon listened, not letting on that Jimin had already told him this.

 

“I was really close to him. I used to spend every holiday here. He would spend hours teaching me how to bake, even though I was awful.” She said with a chuckle as she thought back to those memories. “I couldn’t just sell it after he died. I had too many memories here, so I moved out here to run it. I’ve been here for over a year now. I was with Jason at the time. He didn’t want me to move, but he eventually agreed that we could do long distance.” The smile faded from her face as she continued.

 

“I arranged to go back for his birthday as a surprise. I had everything planned. I had a key to his apartment. I thought he was going to be at work so I went back, I made him a cake and went to his apartment. I heard noises from inside, I thought that maybe he’d just taken the day off because it was his birthday.” She let out a laugh. Namjoon reached forward and covered her hand with his, already guessing what she was going to say next. She smiled down at his warm, tanned hand as his fingers linked with hers. “He was in bed with another girl. Apparently he couldn’t handle long distance.” She said with false bravado as she cleared loudly, forcing away the lump in and the impending tears.

 

“I broke up with him then and there. He tried to apologise, but I just couldn’t trust him again after that. Trust is fragile, you know? It’s like a piece of paper, once you scrunch it up it will never be perfect again. He turned up here a few times afterwards, but I always told him to leave. I thought he'd finally gotten the hint and gave up… apparently I was wrong.” Namjoon squeezed her hand, hoping that the simple gesture would pass on some strength to her. She gave him a small thankful smile. “Thanks for listening to all that.” She said, her expression conveying her gratitude. He shook his head, “Don’t mention it.” He said, giving her hand another squeeze. They sat that way, their hands linked, her phone playing music in the background until they were both too tired to stay awake any longer.

 

 

The next day the sun was shining brightly so Namjoon decided to go out and explore the city some more. He made sure to put his notebook and a pen in his bag. After spending the time with Sam on the roof the night before and hearing her story about her ex, some ideas had started to form in his mind for a new song. He had jotted down some lyrics before he went to sleep, but now that he was feeling fresh from a good night’s rest, his creative juices were flowing. He grabbed a cup of coffee to go before picking a direction to wander in. He kept his earphones in as he wandered around the city, watching the people around him.

 

 

He spent the full day wandering around, taking some time to jot down some lyrics whenever something good came to him. He felt great, ever since he had finished his last tour he had been trying to come up with some new lyrics, but nothing seemed to come to him. He had been here for just under a week, and already inspiration was hitting him. He filled several pages with lyrics, planning on combining them later on when he had time to sit down and focus.

 

Only once the sun had begun to set did he finally make his way back to the café. By the time he made it back, it was already well after closing time. Sam had text him during the day to say that there were some cinnamon cookies left in the kitchen for him when he got back. He grinned to himself as he went around to the back of the café and let himself in. He closed the door behind himself, surprised to hear voices coming from the café. He stepped further into the kitchen, recognising Sam’s voice, the other male voice unfamiliar to him. He was certain that the voice didn’t belong to Taehyung or Jimin.

 

He frowned when he picked up on the tone of Sam’s voice. “I don’t care what you have to say. I’ve heard it all before, and it’s all bull.” She said angrily. “Sammy, come on. Don’t be like that.” The male voice pleaded. Something about the male voice irritated Namjoon. He knew that he shouldn’t be eavesdropping, but for some reason, he couldn’t move away. “Don’t be like what? Angry?” She said, her voice weary. “I caught you in bed with another woman. I’d be mental if I wasn’t angry. But you know what? I’m not angry anymore.”

 

Jason’s face lit up with hope. “Really?” he said as he took a step closer towards her. She glared at him as she took a step back, wanting to maintain the distance between them. “I may not be angry anymore, but that doesn’t mean I've forgiven you. I don’t care what you have to say. We’re not going to get back together. How many times do I need to say it before you stop coming here?” she asked. Jason huffed loudly. “Come on Sammy. I made one, stupid mistake. Don’t you think you're being a little unreasonable?” he said folding his arms across his chest. She scoffed at him. “Unreasonable? I’m being unreasonable?” she laughed. “Jesus Christ Jason.” She mumbled, completely at a loss for words at his attitude.

 

“Look. I do not have the energy to argue with you anymore. What’s done is done. Please just leave.” She said, her voice firm. Jason remained in his spot, his arms still folded. “You should at least give me a chance to explain myself.” He said petulantly. She rubbed her temple, a headache starting to form. “You already have. It’s all my fault for moving away, right?” she said, repeating back the words he had yelled at her many times before. “I’m sorry that my moving away made it so hard for you to keep your in your pants.” She spat. Jason slammed his fist down on the counter making her jump.

 

In the kitchen, Namjoon's hands curled into fists. Part of him wanted to go out and beat the guy to a pulp, but part of him also didn’t want to get involved, this had nothing to do with him. But even though he knew that, he couldn’t walk away. His muscles tensed up as he held down his anger. She was the one that had been betrayed, but he was trying to make it her fault, even though he was the one that had done something wrong. He was thankful that Sam was too strong to be bent to his will, that she was clear on who was wrong and wasn’t blaming herself.

 

Sam schooled her features into a blank expression, not wanting Jason to see how rattled she was by his appearance. She had believed that since he had turned up yesterday that he wouldn’t have turned up again today. She would have done anything for Jimin, Taehyung, Amber or Namjoon to have been there with her. “Look, we’ve had this same conversation a million times and each time it ends up the same way. Please just leave.” She said firmly. Her lack of reaction annoyed him, he had hoped that if he continued to appear before her that eventually he would forgive him, but she only seemed to grow more tired of him.

 

His emotions snapped and he swore loudly, kicking one of the chairs beside him, sending it crashing to the ground. Sam gasped loudly in surprise, he had yelled at her a million times, but he had never done anything like this before. She opened to ask him what the hell he was doing when an arm wrapped itself around her shoulder. Her words died in as she turned around to see Namjoon beside her. “Hey babe, what’s going on here?” he asked, looking down at her and giving her a sly wink. She had never been so happy to see a friendly face. She knew exactly what Namjoon was doing and she was only too happy to play along.

 

She slipped her arms around his waist, curling against him. “Joonie, this is Jason, you know, my ex?” she said, hoping that he didn’t mind the nickname. He supressed the urge to grin at the nickname as he looked over at a flabbergasted Jason. “What the is going on?” Jason asked, staring at Sam. “I’m her boyfriend and I want to know what the hell you think you’re doing here?” Namjoon said, his voice low and calm. Jason’s eyes flicked between Sam and Namjoon, not sure what to say or do, he hadn’t expected this situation to arise. “I didn’t know you were dating anyone else.” He said quietly as he took in Namjoon's muscular frame.

 

“Why should you know? You're not a part of her life anymore.” Namjoon said coolly as he pulled Sam a little closer against him. “As you can see, Sam is perfectly happy with me and I'm pretty sure that she doesn’t want you hanging around here. I think it would be best if you were to leave. Now.” He said, throwing the other man a glare. Jason gave Sam a last pleading look but she kept her expression neutral. Finally, he let out a long sigh. “Whatever.” He mumbled as he stormed out of the café.

 

Once he disappeared from sight, Sam let out a long sigh, not releasing her grip around Namjoon's waist, he could feel the faint tremble of her hands as they fisted into his t-shirt. “Thanks.” She said, her voice quiet. Namjoon wrapped both arms around her in a tight hug. “Don’t mention it. Are you ok?” he asked worriedly. She nodded against his chest, her grip tightening around his waist. They stood in each other’s embrace, neither of them wanting to let go of the other. Sam enjoying the feeling of being safe and protected in Namjoon's strong embrace and Namjoon simply enjoying the feeling of having the shorter girl so close to him.