Chapter 11

Escape

A few days later, Namjoon went out by himself, Sam too busy at the café to accompany him. He took a bus into the city centre, getting lost in the bustling crowd. He went to the cinema, ate some local food, and wandered around the busy city streets. He picked up matching key chains for Sam and himself, grinning as he felt their shapes through the material of his pocket. He made his way back to the café, excited to see her after being away all day. He knew that the café would be closing soon, which meant they could have dinner and spend some time together.

 

As soon as he walked through the door, Sam appeared at his side, her expression serious. “We need to talk.” She said as she grabbed his wrist, pulling him towards the roof. He gave Amber and Taehyung a questioning look, but the both of them just shrugged their shoulders, neither of them knowing what Sam wanted to talk to him about. She pulled him up to the roof, making sure that they wouldn’t be overheard.

 

She let go of his wrist and started pacing in front of him. Namjoon stood helplessly as he watched her, worry building inside of him. “Sam, what’s wrong?” he asked, reaching out for her. He gently grabbed her wrist, pulling her towards him. She looked up at him, different emotions flickering over her face. “When you first got here, I decided that I wasn’t going to ask you any questions about what you were running away from, or who you were running away from. I decided that it wasn’t any of my business and that if you felt that I needed to know, then you would tell me. But I can’t just pretend I didn’t see this.” She said as she pulled out a piece of paper from her back pocket.

 

Namjoon took the paper, dread pooling in his stomach as he unfolded it, a string of curses dying to make their way out of his mouth as he took in the poster which looked remarkably like a wanted poster. “.” He finally said, his hand dropping to his side. Sam stood in front of him, her arms crossed defensively in front of her. “I can explain.” he said as he reached out and took her hands in his. She gave him a hard stare. He let out a sigh and took her to the ledge of the roof, the same place they had sat on the night when they had shared their first kiss. He ran his thumbs over the back of her hands as he tried to summon his courage, and find the right words to say to explain everything. “I haven’t been exactly honest with you.” He started. He felt her tense up from his words, he knew that she must be dreading what he was going to say next.

 

A million thoughts ran through her mind. Was he married? Was he a criminal? She tried not to let her imagination run wild. She wanted to keep a level head and give him a fair chance to explain himself. If it turned out that he needed his kicked afterwards… she’d deal with that situation if it came to that.

 

“When I said I was an artist, you misunderstood. I knew you did but I didn’t correct you. I’m an idol.” He raised an eyebrow at him, clearly not convinced by his words. “I know it sounds ridiculous but I’m an idol rapper. I go by the name Rap Monster.” She snorted, but didn’t say anything. “I had just finished a big tour and I was at my wits end. Some of the fans are crazy, I literally couldn’t go outside without being hounded by groups of fans or paparazzi. Plus, I was tired. My schedules were packed. Sometimes I would only get two or three hours sleep a night if I was lucky. My manager just continued to pile more and more work on me, he couldn’t see that I was close to losing it. It’s like I was screaming and no one could hear me. I was supposed to be going to Japan for a schedule, but I secretly bought another ticket to come here. I never thought that I’d get away with it. That’s why I turned up at the café with no plan and nowhere to stay.”

 

Sam’s eyes softened as she listened to Namjoon spill his darkest secrets to her. “Then I met you it’s like the sun started shining and I could see in colour again. I couldn’t believe that you were real. I hadn’t intended on staying away for so long. I thought that if I did manage to escape I could just take a week, to relax and try to remember why I started down this path on the first place. But after meeting you I became greedy. I didn’t want to go back.” He sighed. “But it looks like my manager has tracked me down. He probably doesn’t know about the café just yet, but it’s only a matter of time.” he said sadly. Sam's grip on his hands tightened at his words.

 

“You need to go back, don’t you?” she said, her voice wavering slightly. He looked up at her, guilt written all over his face. “I signed a contract with them. There's still three years left. Even if I wanted to back out of it I'd need to go back to Korea to fight it.” He let out a deep sigh, letting his head droop forwards. She pulled her hands from his and practically threw herself into his arms, burying her head in the crook of his neck. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her as tightly as he dared. She pulled in a shaky breath. “You should go back.” She said, hoping he couldn’t hear the quiver in her voice. “It’s your dream, right? You shouldn’t let anything, or anyone stand in the way of that.”

 

Namjoon pulled away from her, surprised by her words. “Dreams can change.” He said, his voice slightly hoarse from all his pent up emotion. She gave him a smile, forcing her tears back, she didn’t want to make this any harder than it had to be. “Namjoon, you never planned on staying here forever, right? You knew you were going to go back, you're not ready to give up your dream of standing on the stage, right?” he nodded reluctantly. He couldn’t deny the truth of her words. She nodded at him. “So you should call your manager.” She said, looking at the piece of paper which had landed on the ground beside them.

 

“What about us?” he asked, his voice more fragile than he would have liked. She leant forward, catching his lips in a gentle kiss. “Like you said, dreams can change, right?”