Chapter 08

Escape

She took her speakers and hooked them up to her phone, setting her playlist to shuffle. They opened their drinks, sitting on the ledge of the roof. “Did you have a good birthday?” he asked. She nodded, a big smile on her face. “Yeah. It was really unexpected though. You guys are so sneaky.” She said, bumping his shoulder with her own. He chuckled and took a swig of his beer. “I just went along with it. It was the others that planned it all.” He admitted. She smiled as she picked at the label on her bottle. “They're good kids.” She said, a certain fondness in her voice, like a mother talking about her children. Namjoon nodded, agreeing with her. They had accepted him as a friend practically instantly, treating him the same way they treated each other, even though they had known each other for quite some time.

 

“My grandpa treated them like they were his own grandkids. They all loved him as much as I did.” She said with a smile. “Jimin has been working here the longest, he's been working here for a year and a half. Amber and Taehyung started around the same time as each other. They’ve both been here just over a year. They started working here a few months before I moved here.” She said as she finally wiped off the icing that was still on her cheeks.

 

The song changed to a fast paced dance song and Sam jumped to her feet. “I love this song!” she said as she started to dance. Her moves were a little clumsy and uncoordinated, but Namjoon couldn’t take his eyes off of her. She laughed loudly as she moved, not caring that her movements weren’t perfect. Namjoon's breath caught in his chest as she spun around in front of him, flashing him a smile. She danced up to him, swaying her hips in front of him, the movement mesmerizing him. “Come on.” She said as she grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet. He stumbled forwards, catching himself from falling at the last second.

 

She chuckled as she continued dancing in front of him. “I’m not a good dancer.” He admitted but she only smiled at him. “So? No one can see. There's only you and me here.” She said as she grabbed his hands, holding them up and bouncing along with the song. He felt awkward as he tried to match his movements to hers, thankfully she wasn’t properly dancing, instead mainly jumping along with the fast beat of the music. Namjoon was silently grateful that Yoongi couldn’t see him now, the older man would surely have for his woeful lack of dancing skills. His embarrassment slowly slipped away as the song faded into the next, and the next. Before he knew it, he had completely lost track of how long they had been dancing.

 

He could feel sweat beading on his forehead from the exertion, but he couldn’t find it in him to care. All he could focus on was Sam, and the feeling of her hands in his and the sway of her hips. Suddenly the song changed, instead of a fast paced song, a strong bass vibrated throughout the air, the lead vocal’s sultry voice reaching out towards them. Sam moved forward and Namjoon slipped his hands out of hers, letting them rest on her waist instead, her hands resting around his neck, her fingers subconsciously playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. They swayed together, their bodies pressed against each other’s. He may not have been a good dancer, but the simple swaying of their hips against each other’s was easy enough, even if he was finding it a little hard to concentrate as her body pressed against his.

 

She looked up at him, her eyes hooded, her pupils blown as she subconsciously bit her lip. He tightened his grip around her waist, his hands moving a little lower to rest on her hips as they rocked back and forth against each other, both panting slightly from their dancing and from the adrenaline than ran through their veins. He could feel every curve of her body pressed against his as she pressed herself impossibly closer, one of her hands reaching up to card through his hair. With the slightest amount of pressure, she pulled him downwards, standing up on her tiptoes as she pressed her lips against his.

 

He felt like he had been electrocuted the second their lips touched. Alcohol led his actions as he carded his hand through her hair, his tongue seeking hers out. She smiled into the kiss, her tongue darting out to meet his. He let out a small groan as she granted him access to . He couldn’t deny that he had been attracted to her since the first time he had walked into the café, but having her pressed up against him as they danced had cemented his feelings.

 

As suddenly as the kiss started, it ended as Sam pushed away from him, a look of panic on her face. “I’m so sorry!” she blurted out, her hand raising to cover . Namjoon was at a loss for words, the alcohol dulling his thought process as he tried to work out exactly why she was apologising. It’s not like she had forced herself on him, he was more than willing. He spluttered a few times, trying to find the right words to say. She apologised again and sprinted towards the stairs, throwing herself down them and disappearing. He heard the sound of her bedroom door slam, even from up on the roof. He stood in a daze, the music in the background turning into a slow ballad as he tried to work out what had just happened.

 

They had been dancing and she had initiated the kiss. Then suddenly, she had freaked out. He couldn’t work out why she had panicked and ran off so suddenly. Why did she apologise? Did she only kiss him because she had been drinking? But she hadn’t seemed that drunk? Or did she just hide it well? He flopped back down on the ledge of the roof, grabbing his drink once more, draining the bottle of the remaining liquid as he tried to figure out exactly what had just happened between the two of them.