Chapter 03

Escape

After agreeing to let him stay with her, she took a photocopy of his passport. He was a little tense in case she recognised him, but he breathed a sigh of relief when she handed it back without asking him if he was the Kim Namjoon, aka Rap Monster. She showed him a contract that she had prepared in advance and he agreed to sign for one month. He was worried that if he asked her to sign for any shorter that she might not agree to let him stay. He wasn’t sure how long he would be able to hide for, but he hoped that he could hide for as long as possible. He just wasn’t ready to go back. Not when he had finally tasted freedom after so long of having every second of everyday under someone else’s control.

 

He handed her the money, both her, whom he now knew was called Samantha, but she preferred to be called Sam, and the orange haired boy, whom he now knew was called Jimin, looking surprised that he had such a large amount of cash on him, but neither of them commented as she took the money from him. She locked it away in the small office at the back of the cafe and asked Jimin to take down the sign she had put up advertising the room.

 

“Can you keep an eye on things while I take Namjoon up to the room?” she asked. Jimin nodded and headed back out to the café. “Come with me.” She said as she led him through the back of the café. “You can either get up to the second floor through the café or there's an entrance around the back, I’ll show that to you later.” She took a set of keys out of her pocket and unlocked the door, leading them into a fair-sized living room. “I know it’s not much, but its home.” She said as she slipped off her shoes and put on a pair of slippers, grabbing an extra pair for Namjoon.

 

“So this is the living room, the kitchen is just through that door there. My bedroom is the door opposite it if you ever need me. And the bathroom and your room are down here.” She said as he opened the door to reveal a modest sized bedroom. “Feel free to treat this as your own home.” She said as she picked up a set of keys from the desk under the window. “These are for you. There's a lock on your bedroom door as well if you wanna lock it when you're out or whatever.” She said as she handed him the keys with a smile.

 

“Thank you, this is perfect.” He said, genuinely happy with the apartment. He still couldn’t get over his luck. Out of every bus he could have gotten onto, he happened to get onto the bus that had led him directly to this little café, which he was now about to call home. She smiled at him as he dropped his backpack onto the bed. “I need to go back down to the café. But if you need me you know where I am. Feel free to come and go as you please.” She said. He nodded. “Thanks again.” he said gratefully as he turned to her and smiled at her, his dimples showing. She returned his smile and gave him a small wave before heading back down to tend the café. Namjoon fell on the bed, inhaling the scent of the freshly washed sheets. He couldn’t believe his luck. Out of every café, in every street that he could possibly have went into, he picked the one with the cute owner who just so happened to be renting out a room.

 

His eyes became heavy as he lay there, enjoying the fact that he was free and that the bed was incredibly comfortable. He was asleep within minutes.

 

 

He woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. His schedules kept him really busy, meaning that he usually only slept for a couple of hours a night, or in stolen moments in the van on his way to a schedule. He couldn’t remember the last time he had slept for so long. He had a quick shower and changed into fresh clothes, feeling like a brand-new person already. He went down to the café smiling at Sam as she finished serving a customer. “Ah, he lives!” she said dramatically. He blushed a little. “Sorry, I guess I was tired from travelling.” He said with a chuckle. “Yeah I bet! I came up later to see if you were hungry but you were completely out of it!” he chuckled and apologised again. “Don’t be sorry, it was kinda cute. Especially the snoring.” She teased before she turned to serve another customer, leaving Namjoon to blush at the end of the counter.

 

Once he finally stopped blushing and grabbed himself a coffee, he made his way out of the café, making sure to take note of the café name and the street name. He took off in a random direction, determined not to do anything for the entire day. He just wanted to walk around and relax. Now that he was free from his schedules and he had found somewhere to stay, and had had a decent night’s sleep, he was already feeling a million times better than he had just a few days ago. He stopped in at a few shops to pick up some new clothes and some essentials. He hadn’t been able to pack too much into his backpack as his manager would have been suspicious.

 

He found his way to a park which was full of people. He found a bench in the shade and sat with his sunglasses on and his earphones in as he watched the people come and go around him. He had always enjoyed people watching. Seeing how people interacted with the people around them and how they acted when they thought no one was watching. He would often try to figure out what jobs they had and guess things about their lives. Sometimes we would create whole stories for the people around him to pass the time.

 

He tilted his head back as a gentle breeze caressed his body. He stayed there for most of the afternoon, just watching people coming and going and enjoying being able to just sit and rest for more than a minute without being bundled into vans and moved from schedule to schedule. He eventually made his way back to the café, Jimin was behind the counter with another boy around his age. “Hi, Namjoon!” Jimin greeted warmly as he approached the counter. “Hey Jimin.” He said back, the other boy smiling at him. “This is Taehyung; he works here as well.” Taehyung stuck his hand over the counter, shaking Namjoon's hand vigorously. Namjoon instantly liked the smiling boy.

 

“Can I get you anything?” Taehyung asked excitedly. “Yeah, a coffee please.” Taehyung nodded. “Coming right up.” he said as he turned around and grabbed a mug. Namjoon looked around and spotted Sam standing near the back door of the café with an elderly man. They were far enough away that he couldn’t make out what they were saying clearly, but he saw her shake her head and chuckle. Taehyung handed him his mug and followed his line of vision until he spotted Sam. “Ah, he's here again.” he said over his shoulder, Jimin appearing a second later, craning his neck to see. “He never gives up, does he?”

 

“Who is he?” Namjoon asked curiously as he handed Taehyung the money for his coffee. “He owns the little supermarket down the street. He was friends with Sam’s grandpa before he died. He keeps coming by here to set Sam up on a date with his son.” He said with a shake of his head. Namjoon frowned, “Is that a bad thing?” he asked looking back at Sam and the old man. Taehyung and Jimin chuckled. “Not really, except for the fact that his son is almost fifty with a wife and three kids.” Taehyung said with a laugh. Namjoon nearly spat out his mouthful of coffee. “W-What?”

 

“He's just messing with her. I think.” Jimin said with a laugh. “It’s been an ongoing thing since she took over the café.” Namjoon took his change from Taehyung. “Wait, you mean Sam owns the place?” he asked. He knew she lived in the apartment upstairs, but he figured that someone else owned the café. Jimin nodded. “Yeah, she’s been the owner for about a year now. Her grandpa used to own it but after he died, there was no one to run this place. We all thought it was going to shut down. Sam lived in a different city with her parents, but she couldn’t bear the thought of this place closing. She was really close to her grandpa, he actually left her the café in her will. So, she packed up and moved here to run the café.”

 

Namjoon looked around at Sam again, this time seeing her in a different light. He figured that they were around the same age, and she was running her own business. He felt a new feeling of admiration forming for her as he grabbed his coffee and took the same seat he had sat in yesterday. When the old man finally left, Sam went back behind the counter, laughing and joking with Jimin and Taehyung about his offer of marriage with his son.

 

Namjoon couldn’t keep his eyes off of her as she tied an apron around her waist and got back to work. She grabbed a large basin and moved around the café picking up the mugs and plates that had been left behind. She looked up and locked gazes with him and he felt his face grow hot, embarrassed at being caught staring. He quickly looked away, focusing his attention out of the window instead. He grinned to himself despite his embarrassment as he sipped on his coffee, thankful that he had found this little slice of heaven.