A shoulder to lean on

High & Low Finale

A month had already passed without Cobra and Kira to meet. Kira became really busy at work. Since the new VR product that Sony created was supposed to be out in the market on December 1st. Ryusuke had her work overtime, she even didn't manage to help Naomi as she had promised. It was a chaotic month with many deadlines. Besides, deep down she didn't want to cross any paths with Cobra (after what had happened.) She spent all her time at work with Ryusuke, those two made a great team. And even after work, Ryusuke didn't miss a chance to be around her. He picked her up every morning from home. He took her back home after work. They had lunch and dinner every day. Ryusuke didn't change that much, he was treating Kira kindly as he always did. He took care of all the little things. Opening doors, pulling the chair (when they were having dinner), talking sweet, complimenting her and sometimes getting her roses. Of course, Kira enjoyed the attention, but she was mostly focused on her work.

Likewise, Cobra kept himself busy. Lately odder complains and incidents were happening around SWORD. The five leaders spend all the time to find out who could be behind. Cobra, overdid it as he spent most of his time trying to keep himself out of thinking. He, as Kira, didn't wish to meet her. Why would he want that "punk" in his life? She only caused him trouble every time they met. There wasn't a single day that his world wouldn't come upside down. This month that they didn't meet, he could be finally in peace. But deep down it felt like something was missing. After all, that "punk" slowly became his bad habit.

Finally, the hard work was over on Kira's side. Her work hours went back to normal. The stress month was over, and she could once again relax. And the only thing she really needed was to go back to her neverland. She had missed Naomi and the guys. She had missed the action, and how messy things could get over there. This evening she would go back helping Naomi at the Itokan Diner. Ryusuke offered to take her there. He didn't want really Kira to hang around the Sannoh district. First, because the area once again started to become dangerous. Secondly, he never understood why she would even want to spend time there. There was nothing there, that the Kira he knew, should like.


"Nikka isn't helping you this evening?" Yamato asked Naomi. He had just finished eating the second plate of an omelet. Yamato behaved like he always, it was that time of the year where everyone close to Naomi become sorrowful.

At the corner of the shop, Cobra was sitting with Dan and Chiharu talking. Chiharu wanted him to join them in gokkun (group date). Considering that Cobra wasn't hanging with them lately, he was busy all the time. But today he seemed closer to his thoughts, sadder. It was only because of that forsaken day.

She whispered at him "Nikka needed some time off. Kira promised she would help." Naomi had added more dishes, and Yamato was eating there every day. She tried anything she could these days, to make the store become more alive. It was the only way she could express her feelings. By keeping the store running.

"Indeed, I haven't seen her like a month or so," Yamato added as he was trying to catch a plastic cup and pour some soda in it.

"She was busy with work," Naomi explained.

"I thought something had happened. Kira not being around. And Cobra always being so busy." Yamato said.

"Maybe it's better she wasn't around these days. With all the problems that surrounded us once again, I was worried she would bring more trouble." Naomi expressed her worries.

Suddenly, the door opened and Kira walked in. She was wearing an elegant and tasteful cotton wall dress. With her proportions, she would look good in whatever she has chosen to wear. She spoke with a soft and pleasant voice "Are you bad mouthing me again Naomi." She startled everyone since she showed up early and with Ryusuke following her.

"Why not? we need two more people," demanded Dan.

Cobra rolled his eyes "You never wanted me to come before, what changed now?" he said while detecting Kira walking in.

"They don't have Tettsu any more following them around." picked on Yamato who was laughing at them. When it came to group dates all three of them were lost. Dan because he over talked about himself. Chiharu, because he acted before thinking. And as for Cobra, he never really went to any Gokkun. Even if he went, he was spacing out and not paying any attention. Although the girls always ended up around him.

"Kira, Ryusuke..." Naomi was taken off guard "I didn't believe you will actually make it."

Kira sat down next to Yamato "We were about to have dinner, so we showed up early." she explained as she waved at them "Hey guys!" She acted like she didn't notice Cobra sitting back with the others.

"Hi, Kira! Nice to see you again Ryusuke." Yamato answered back as he was pouring one more drink for himself.

"Well, the long working hours are over." said Ryusuke after he also greeted everyone.

Naomi walked behind the counter, happy to see Kira again, and a bit worried. "So, what will you two have?" she asked them both.

Kira giggled "That new omelet you said you mastered. I am dying to try that."

"I'll have the same." Ryusuke agreed.

"Naomi, Add some extra mushrooms, Ryu-kun loves them!" Kira said as she was still smiling.

Cobra stared Kira and Ryusuke for some time thinking that they somehow looked closer than before. But that wasn't only the only thing that had changed. Kira's actions seemed modest and elegant than before. She didn't look at all like the punk he knew.

"Ne, Naomi did anything new happen?" Kira asked as she was really curious about what she had missed.

Noami nodded "A lot had happened."

"Really, do tell?" she asked more curious than before.

Naomi, who had finished the omelet. She placed it on two plates and served them to Kira and Ryusuke. "Kira eat your food and you will find the rest later," she responded. She didn't really want to tell her what had happened recently. It would only make Kira get in more trouble like always. And honestly those days Naomi didn't want any kind of trouble that Kira was bringing with her.

Ryusuke and Kira started eating, the food smelt good, but it tasted even better. Naomi's cooking got better. Kira felt like she had missed a lot of things. "Your cooking skills are getting better!" Kira cheered.

Dan couldn't wait for anymore since Cobra didn't want to join them on the group date. He went over and started asking Ryusuke "Are you single Ryusuke?"

Ryusuke felt a bit awkward with the question but he placed his chopsticks down and answered him "Odd question. yes, I am single."

"Perfect! You will join us in a Gokkun." Dan notified him and dragged him out. He didn't even let him reply if he wanted to go. Chiharu followed them.

Kira waved at them giggling "Have fun!"

"Kira will you be alright alone for a bit!" Naomi told her. She and Yamato had planned for days to go visit her brothers grave. This time of the year everyone ended up visiting his grave.

Kira agreed "Sure, I'll handle it. I think."

Naomi showed her a few things she needed to know. "Yamato will come with me. If you need anything, Cobra can help," she said and she and Yamato left.

The store was empty. When she was done eating. She walked behind the counter and took the plates. She turned around and started washing the dishes. Cobra, couldn't really tell if she had seen him or not. He grabbed his cup and walked towards the counter. He couldn't avoid her much longer. He placed the cup against the counter, pulled the chair and sat down.

The sounds of the cup hitting the counter, and the pulling of the chair got Kira's attention. She turned at once, holding a plate on her right hand and the sponge on the left. Kira faced the leader of the Hoodlum Squad. Her eyes blinked confused. "When did you come in?" she asked. She thought she would be more stressed when she would meet him again. But really why should she be?

"I was already here" he casually answered her, as he kept his eyes pinned on her. He was not sure how to act around her. After what had happened.

"I didn't see you..." she mumbled. She dropped her eyes gazing at the floor.

Cobra cracked a small smile. He hadn't seen that "punk" out of words until then. But his happy moment would only last for a few seconds.

Kira didn't need a lot of time to gain her confidence back. She stepped closer were Cobra was and sat next to him. "You should have joined them in the group date." she suggested to him.

Cobra tilted his head, as he was still gazing at her. "I don't really like group dates." he responded.

"But you should. It's a way to start learning the basics. Than attacking randomly women's s." she mocked him.

He rolled his eyes. The punk was back, and she was aiming once again to make his days as hell. "I never wanted to attack. I was only showing you how odd it felt when you were all over my chest." he told her seriously. Those days he was not really in any mood to deal with her.

"I wasn't all over your chest. I thought I felt a tumor. That was all. It was not that I wanted to touch your chest." she clarified.

Cobra, couldn't hold back. It didn't matter how long she was away. She would always end up making him mad. "Oi! It's acceptable for you to touch me without me agreeing. But it's not for me?" he shouted at her as he pulled closer.

Kira yelled out loudly, she was pissed "I did out of the concern and you harassed me. It's not the same thing."

Cobra laughed and responded with the same angry tone "Harassed you?! Me?! You thinking those s of you have the level to make someone to want to touch them."

She gazed down at her s "Why what's wrong with my s. They are perfect. Of course, those can steal the attention." she said proudly pointing at them.

Cobra rolled his eyes and stepped back "Not for me."

"I know. That's why I didn't want to talk about it. Maybe you aren't really into s and girls. Maybe you like more boys and other things." she mocked him.

Cobra glared at her "Punk do you have a death wish or something?" He was trying his best not to smack her. Why would things always turn like that? Even at his worse moments that punk could make the mood change.

Naomi and Yamato had returned. They have heard everything. And honestly, thy didn't know what to comment.

"Stop saying that!" Kira once again found her yakuza mood. "If you want to fight me, let's go outside and fight," she called him out.

Naomi stepped in and pulled her away. "Kira, stop it. What's it's going on with you," she told her worried.

"Naomi deal with her, Next time I am not sure what I will do!" Cobra frowned as he stepped back.

Kira pushed Naomi away "What will you do?" she provoked him.

Cobra hit his fist against the counter. He pushed Naomi out of the way and grabbed Kira's arm dragging her outside. He looked at Yamato and Naomi, with his deadly look, signed them not to follow. Naomi tried to follow since she was worried about Kira. But Yamato stopped her.

"Yamato, if they fight ... Kira..." Naomi tried to explain as she was gazing at Cobra trailing Kira outside the door.

Yamato freed her "Don't worry. You think Cobra would ever hurt her. You were always the one Naomi that knew what Cobra was thinking. He would never lay a hand against a friend."

Naomi nodded "I know that. But we're talking about Kira. She even drives me crazy."

"Let's hope then he won't." Yamato concluded.

Outside, Cobra lose his grip around her arm. He stepped away from her and lean against his bike. "You have to stop being so reckless punk," he said with a monotonic tone.

Kira gazed at him confused. She thought he dragged her out to fight or at least punch her. 'Why would he not attack her.'

"Really, take a moment to think before you act. There will not be always someone to help you. And sometimes life can be shorter than you think." he added as he his bike and drove away, leaving Kira more puzzled than before.

She stayed outside for a few minutes and then she went inside.

"Are you alright?" Naomi asked.

Kira nodded. "I'm fine. But what is wrong with Cobra?" she buzzed. She knew most of his reactions. But looking worried about her, although he was mad. Didn't looked like him. "Cobra didn't attack. He only seemed worried?" she said dazed "What's going on?"

Yamato sighed "It became always like that, these times of the year." This year wouldn't be any different.

"Why what happened?" Kira asked serious "He was perfectly fine a few minutes ago?"

"Was he?" Yamato added.

Naomi pulled a chair and asked Kira to sit. "Kira, do you remember I had a brother?"

Kira sat next to Naomi and nodded. "Of course I do. Tatsuya, right? The one that was killed in an accident. "

"Yes, that one. And it wasn't an accident. It was made to look like one. It happens years ago, around this time of the year." Naomi explained sad.

"That's what has us all hit our lower points. Especially us who knew Tatsuya. Cobra is not any exception. I can say he took it more serious than most of us." Yamato added.

Kira had never witnessed any death before. Everyone she had dear was healthy and alive. And although she was part of the Oedo family, all the years she lived with them no death had really occurred. But she remembered what her grandpa told her. When Kumiko's parents died. How hard Kumiko took it. That he needed someone to hold her hand. And she was sure Kuroda-san told her, although he was also trying to remorse alone. The fact that Kumiko was there was the best medicine for his deepest wound.

"And Cobra ends up like a lonely wolf, visiting Tatsuya's grave," Yamato concluded.

Kira took a moment to thing. She never really knew what had happened with Naomi's brother. And neither did she know had deep it had affected anyone. She didn't know those feelings. She never lost someone close to her, she even couldn't imagine how rough it could hit a person. But she knew to be alone, wasn't the answer.

"Yamato, where is the grave?" Kira asked without overthinking it. Yamato wasn't sure what she had in mind, but he explained to her where exactly the grave was. "Naomi, I will be back later!" she said and rushed out the Itokan diner. Naomi and Yamato were puzzled.

Kira grabbed a Taxi. A few minutes later she ended to the graveyard were Tatsuya was berried. At the entrance was parked a bike. She was sure it was the bike she had crashed a few months ago; when she had kicked that thief. It was Cobra's bike. That meant she was right; that she would find him there.

Step, after step she walked through the graveyard. It was too big, but it took her a moment to spot Cobra. He was sitting against Tatsuya's tombstone. Of all the facial expression Kira had seen on Cobra's face. The one he had now, she had never seen before. He didn't look pissed, or angry. You couldn't say even that he looked sad. He looked like he was beaten. Like he had no life left in him.

Kira strode were Cobra was sitting. She paused a step away from him, looking down at him. The soft breeze waved her cotton winter dress. Cobra remained leaning against the headstone, not even noticing her. She knelt and slowly crawled closer and sat next to Cobra. Only then Cobra noticed her. But he didn't say anything. He only leaned against her shoulder. Like he wanted to rest all his worries there.

And Kira, she remained there. She didn't act like a spoiled brat. She didn't say anything. She didn't want any attention. She just wanted to lean her shoulder to a friend. As her grandfather had told her. 'Times like that. There is nothing you can say. There is nothing you can do. You can borrow your shoulder and remain there. That is more than enough.'

And they linger there until the moon appeared at the open night sky...

(( upcoming chapter ~ Act 16 ~ ))


Note:

More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!