chapter 3

3 Minute Girlfriend 2.0 (2.0)

 

Tiffany woke up feeling refreshed. 

 

Then, she remembered everything that had happened in the past 24 hours and sat up, all trace of restfulness gone. Tiffany looked down at her hands. Had it been real? Had she really been shooting at people from inside a speeding car? And her house — had it really all been consumed by a fire?

 

There was nothing around her that pointed to her experiences being real, but as she stood up, Tiffany’s entire body ached. Even brushing her teeth felt like a monumental effort. By the time she finally made it to the kitchen for her morning cup of coffee, Tiffany was ready to accept that it had all been real.

 

Which was why she felt such a strong sense of fear as she sat on her couch, looking at the rest of the 3 Minute Girlfriend 2.0 kit. Both the Firefighter and 007 boxes had turned out to be fiascoes. Was this the trend, or were those two just unlucky picks? Should she just throw it all in the trash? 

 

Tiffany hesitated. 

 

Okay, what if she picked something a little safer. Less action. Less danger. Something more sedentary. She carefully considered the three packs left in the box before taking one out. Writer Girlfriend, she thought. This just screams sitting in hipster coffeeshops discussing deep, thoughtful things. This had to be safe.

 

She set the timer for 3 minutes and went to make her bed.

 

When the doorbell rang, Tiffany was confused at first. Who…? Oh, the girlfriend. So she hadn’t been wrong — they weren’t all supposed to come flying in through the window. Fixing her hair, Tiffany hurried to the door.

 

She had to admit that this time she was honestly nervous. Nervous because, well, the past two times had been terrible experiences, but also nervous because this was the first one that could actually be something good. Clearing one last time, she opened the door with a hopeful smile.

 

“Hey, Fany,” said Taeyeon with a warm smile.

 

Tiffany felt her insides melt. This Taeyeon was slight and fragile-looking, but she was no less attractive than her two predecessors. She was wearing black skinny jeans, a pair of flats, a loose gray shirt and a soft, black cardigan; her hair was down and she was wearing almost no make-up. In other words, she was exactly the opposite of everything Tiffany had seen so far, and Tiffany was in love.

 

“H-Hi,” Tiffany said.

 

“Are you okay? You look a little tired.”

 

Tiffany blushed. “Yeah, I had a really long day yesterday.”

 

“Do you want to sleep?” Taeyeon frowned in concern. “I don’t want you to get sick. We can have lunch another day.”

 

“No! I mean, no, I’m fine. Let’s go have lunch.”

 

And it was true. Even though Tiffany had been feeling like she’d been run over by a tow-truck, somehow, walking down the street hand in hand with Taeyeon was working wonders. They were just waiting for a table at the restaurant and already Tiffany was feeling a thousand times better.

 

“What is it?”

 

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon. “What’s what?”

 

“You’re smiling,” said Taeyeon curiously. “Something funny?

 

“I’m just happy.”

 

Taeyeon laughed quietly, then leaned against Tiffany. “I’m happy too.”

 

It was bliss. There was no other word for it. As they had a great meal of pho and fried rice, Tiffany couldn’t stop looking at Taeyeon and feeling all the butterflies in the world, all dancing around in her stomach. 

 

“What are you writing?” 

 

Taeyeon looked up from a little notebook. “Hmm? Oh, just some ideas. You know how it is. Inspiration hits at odd times.”

 

“That’s so cool. What are you thinking of right now?”

 

“Well,” said Taeyeon, her eyes soft, “I was just trying to find a word to describe the way you smile.”

 

Tiffany felt herself turning red. “And the conclusion?” She asked, unable to hide her smile.

 

“I couldn’t decide on just one. It’s beautiful, breathtaking, heart-stopping, adorable…all of those things, and more.”

 

“You’re too much,” mumbled Tiffany into her bowl. 

 

“I know. Sorry.” Taeyeon pocketed the notebook. “I’ll stop being distracted. How was your day yesterday?”

 

Tiffany opened , then closed it. How should she try to tell the story? Maybe… “I had the weirdest dream,” she said finally. “I dreamt that you were a firefighter, and you came to rescue me from a non-existent fire, except then there was a fire, a lot of fires, and everything in my apartment was burnt.”

 

“Oh, wow,” said Taeyeon, nodding. “That sounds like quite a dream.”

 

“Yeah, it was! Crazy.”

 

“A firefighter, huh?”

 

“Yep. And also a spy,” Tiffany said. Her eyes dropped to the table, where the little notebook had reappeared. “Um…what was I saying? Right, you were also a spy. And you made me shoot people! And then we drove into the sea and there was a helicopter and then you got shot as you jumped off a building.”

 

Taeyeon’s pen moved furiously. “Uh huh. A spy. Guns?”

 

“Yeah.” Tiffany paused. “Are you taking notes?”

 

Taeyeon looked up, then put the notebook away sheepishly. “Dreams are always a great source for stories.”

 

“Oh, that’s true.”

 

“I once wrote a story where someone gets stuck in their dream and they can’t get out.” The writer tilted her head. “Have I ever shown it to you?”

 

“I don’t think so,” said Tiffany. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to read it.”

 

“Of course! It’s at home, though. Remind me to bring it next time.”

 

“Okay.”

 

As Taeyeon looked at her with an intense gaze, Tiffany couldn’t help but feel like a schoolgirl again. It really felt like this version of Taeyeon was paying a lot of attention to her, unlike the other two, and it was a heady sensation. 

 

“Fany, where do you wanna go after this?”

 

Tiffany thought about it for a moment. “The park?”

 

“Sounds like a plan!”

 

The park wasn’t too busy today, and, coupled with the nice weather — it was like a dream come true for Tiffany. Taeyeon was very attentive, saying and doing the sweetest things. As they sat on a bench after walking for a while, they shared an ice cream cone between them.

 

“Strawberry ice cream is really underrated,” said Tiffany, the dessert. “Don’t you think so? Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon blinked. “Sorry, what did you say?”

 

“I just said strawberry ice cream is underrated, nothing really important. Were you thinking of something?”

 

“Yeah,” said Taeyeon, taking Tiffany’s free hand in her own. “I realized that this moment could totally be a scene in a story. Like, a pair of lovers on a date, just enjoying each other’s company in a park. Isn’t that romantic?”

 

Tiffany smiled. “Yes, it definitely is. Here, have some more of the ice cream.”

 

“Mm, you’re right, strawberry ice cream is the best flavor in the world.”

 

“Isn’t it?”

 

The ice cream disappeared quickly, leaving them with only sticky fingers to remember it by. As Tiffany shifted in her seat, she felt a warm hand on her cheek. “Ah, sorry,” said Taeyeon. She brushed her thumb over the corner of Tiffany’s lips. “There was a bit of ice cream.”

 

“T-Thanks,” said Tiffany. 

 

There was a sudden, palpable tension in the air. Tiffany’s heart was beating so hard she could feel her pulse down to her fingers, and as Taeyeon slowly leaned in, her heart stopped altogether.

 

The kiss was unhurried and warm; Tiffany’s arms crept up to Taeyeon’s elbows and clutched the sleeves of her cardigan to pull her closer. She could feel Taeyeon smile into the kiss, and when they finally pulled apart, Tiffany felt like she was floating in outer space.

 

“Cute,” she heard Taeyeon say. 

 

“Wha—”

 

That was all Tiffany managed to say before Taeyeon kissed her again. This time, Tiffany definitely landed on the moon.

 

“Hmm, okay. Almost,” whispered Taeyeon.

 

And she kissed Tiffany again, finally sending her all the way to Mars.

 

“Got it.”

 

Tiffany slowly came out of her daze. Still trying to catch her breath, she smiled shyly at Taeyeon, who was watching her with a proud look. “W-Wow,” was all Tiffany could say.

 

“I kinda really like you,” said Taeyeon playfully.

 

“Yeah? Me too.”

 

With a happy sigh, Tiffany rested her head against Taeyeon’s shoulder. Then her eyes caught sight of a familiar notebook. “Writing again?”

 

“Just taking notes,” said Taeyeon, the gentle vibrations of her voice buzzing against Tiffany’s ear. 

 

“On?”

 

“Your expression. After I kissed you.” Taeyeon put her hand over Tiffany’s. “It was so absolutely adorable I just had to capture it in words.”

 

Tiffany sat up. “You took notes on my face?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“So…the second and third time…was research?”

 

Taeyeon laughed. “Not research, Fany. A kiss is a kiss.”

 

“But…”

 

“No, I just wanted to make sure I had it right.” Taeyeon patted Tiffany’s hand. “I meant it, baby.” 

 

Tiffany frowned. This felt suspicious. “Can I see what you wrote in your notebook, then?”

 

“Ah, it’s my policy to not let people read my notes until they’ve been written into stories.”

 

“But I’m your girlfriend.”

 

Taeyeon hesitated. “Well…”

 

“Right?” Tiffany drove her point home with her best puppy-dog look. “I’m the one you kinda really like, right?”

 

After a long moment, Taeyeon sighed. “Okay,” she said, handing the notebook over carefully. “But! They’re just notes, okay? Promise me you won’t tell anyone what you read in there? This is my livelihood right here.”

 

“Of course, Taeyeon. I won’t tell anyone.”

 

Tiffany took the notebook in both hands. Flipping to the most recent page, she read the messy handwriting. It said: 

 

//the kiss - eyes unfocused, tinge of red on her cheeks, wonder in her look; lips very soft, taste like strawberry ice cream (note: try matcha next time)

 

“Try matcha next time?” Tiffany looked up. “This sounds like research.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “It isn’t. I’m just trying to see what ice cream you like the most.” She tried to reach for the notebook, but Tiffany kept it out of her reach and flipped forward by a few pages.

 

//lunch date #28 - her smile is everything. she also liked it when i complimented her smile. curious ambience in the restaurant. prompt: having an argument in a vietnamese restaurant//

 

“You’re using our date as a prompt?”

 

“I mean, you know what they say: real life is the best source for ideas.”

 

Tiffany gave Taeyeon a look before going back even further. “Dinner date #30…lunch date #25…” She paused, then brought the notebook up to her face to confirm what she had just read. “…Am I seeing what I’m seeing? Please tell me I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.”

 

“What? What is it?”

 

Her face entirely scarlet, Tiffany turned to glare at Taeyeon. “You…You take notes when we make love?”

 

“Um—”

 

“I mean,” Tiffany scanned the page quickly, “damn, I didn’t even know we had a life,” she muttered to herself. 

 

“Can I maybe have that bac—”

 

“, holy…do you ever stop taking notes?”

 

Taeyeon shrunk away when Tiffany stared at her. “Well, when I’ve gotten enough material down—”

 

“Material?” Tiffany stood up abruptly. “So you take me out on dates, and you kiss me, or, or…and you do this all for research?!”

 

“It’s not resea—”

 

“It definitely is research, Taeyeon.” Tiffany threw the notebook at the speechless woman, turning her back on Taeyeon in disbelief. “This is weird as hell, okay? Like, worse than breaking into my house and burning my stuff.”

 

“But—”

 

“Were you even emotionally invested in this relationship at all? I mean, okay, I just started this relationship this afternoon, but, hell, I’m actually serious about it. You, on the other hand, are being a creep. I feel so used!”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“And you—” Tiffany gasped when she finally looked at Taeyeon. “Are you…are you actually taking notes right now?”

 

“Mhmm. I mean, no! Sorry!” 

 

“You’re taking notes! When we’re having an argument!”

 

Taeyeon shook her head vehemently, hiding the notebook behind her back. “No!”

 

“You know what, that’s it. I’m done with you.” Tiffany balled her hands up into fists. “I thought you were going to be the one. I thought you were going to be the one that worked out, after those two disasters, and, boy, was I wrong! You’re even worse than them! I should’ve never microwaved you, you creepy voyeur! Writer, my ! I should’ve known nothing good could’ve come from such an innocuous title!”

 

“Sorry,” said Taeyeon absentmindedly, scribbling away, “could you repeat the part about the microwave? I’m not sure I caught it all.”

 

“STOP TAKING NOTES, GODDAMMIT!”

 

 

 

 

lmfao i realized halfway into writing the sequel that tiffany is stuck with a much, much worse kit