Ambulophobia

Phobia (one shots)

Sinb just got home after having mountain climbing all by herself. She enjoyed her own company but she's so tired that she longed for her bed to rest. Inside her room, lots of photos that Sinb took during the several adventure she've been were posted at the wall. Whoever will sees it can surely easily identify that Sinb endeed loves adventure, eventhough she's having her trip all alone.

After a hot shower, Sinb dried herself then slam on the bed. She closed her eyes but before her sleep gets deep, a loud beep from her phone was heard. She opened her eyes again and took her phone to see who messaged her. It came from an unknown number.

'The sun shines so bright. It's so beautiful' It'll be easier to just ignore it, but curiousity strikes

'Who's this?' Sinb replied. After just a few seconds, she recieved another message

'Eunbi' Sinb frown and sit up on her bed. She lean her back on the headrest and read the reply carefully.

"Is this person having fun with me? Or did this person just have the same name as me?"

'I'm also Eunbi' Sinb replied

'Hi Eunbi 2!'

"Eunbi 2? What the heck." Sinb chuckled. She don't know how the simple message make her feel happy, yet she want more. She want to conversate more with the unknown person who have the same name as her.

But Sinb never had any idea that it could be a start of something new.

-----

Eunbi 2 : 'Hey Jung, what's up?'

Eunbi 1: 'Hi Hwang! Are you home?'

Eunbi 2: 'Nah.. I'm at the park. I need to breath, work stressed me'

Eunbi 1: 'Yey, I love park!' Sinb grin

Eunbi 2: 'We should come and meet here at the park sometimes'

Eunbi 1: 'Yeah! I wanna know how you look like in person'

Eunbi 2: 'I could say the same' Sinb smiled with a tint of blush on her cheeks.

It was a just a simple conversation through phone messages a month after their first chat, yet it already started to make Sinb even more satisfied.

-----

Eunbi 2: 'Is this you in pink shirt?'

Eunbi 1: 'No Hwang. I'm wearing white sweater'

Eunbi 2: 'Okay, I found it' Sinb sent the message then put her phone aside to examine Eunbi 1's face by its photo on instagram. Sinb can't help smiling with the cute face, but one thing that she noticed, all of Eunbi 1's photos were taken indoors and if she's not lying on bed, she's just sitting.

Sinb keeps on looking for more photos til one image makes her frown. It was a photo of Eunbi 1 in a hospital ward.

"Is she sick?" Sinb asked herself. She took her phone and wanted to ask about it, yet she knew it wouldn't sound nice.

Eunbi 2: 'I wanna meet you' Sinb meant it before sending

-----

From one city to another city. Sinb travelled all the way there just to meet Eunbi 1. She's glad that she was able to get the address of Eunbi 1. Sinb swears to take care of the trust given to her by her longtime textmate.

Still unfamiliar with the head and turns of the city, Sinb keeps on asking people she could pass by to get into the specific place she wanted to go. But she didn't mind doing it though. Even if it's her first time to be in that place, she's also used of travelling into places alone. But this time is different. She's now looking for an specific place which she find harder than just merely travelling around.

For almost 3 hours of looking, Sinb is now standing in front of a house.

"This is it"

With a nervous heart, she knocked the door. A lady in her mid-thirtees opened the door and asked Sinb for her purpose of knocking.

"Do Jung Eunbi live here? I'm her friend and I'm here to meet her" Sinb said politely. The lady smiled

"Come in. Eunbi was waiting for you to arrive" the lady widen the opening of the door to let Sinb pass. Sinb bowed and went in.

The house is clean and properly polished. The things were also well organized and the atmosphere smells so nice.

"Have a sit. I'll just call Eunbi" Sinb bowed again to the lady and sits on the couch. Minutes later, Eunbi 1 came to the living room and to Sinb's surprise, she's on a wheelchair.

"Hi Hwang" Eunha greets shyly. Sinb can't believe her own eyes. She examine Eunha from head to toe, then to its position on the wheelchair. Eunha noticed this and sadly smiled
"I'm sorry. I never mentioned this to you. I just like chatting fun things with you rather than talking about my condition." Eunha confessed. Sinb didn't respond, as if waiting for Eunha to add more with what she said.
"If you want to go back home, then it's fine, I understand. I know it's not acceptable that I kept this hidden from you" Eunha sadly said

"Oh, I'm sorry. I never mean it that way" Sinb said but Eunha's down expression created a guilt.
"I'm really sorry. I was just surprised. I-I honestly just never expected this, but it's fine" Sinb added, hoping that it could atleast brighten up Eunha.
Sinb grab something in her bag before walking closer to hand it to Eunha. Eunha gave her a curious face.
"Y-you mentioned that you like airplane model, so I brought you this." Eunha accepted it
"I got that when I travelled overseas for the first time"

"And you're giving this to me?" Eunha asked. Sinb nods

"You said you like it. So I'm giving it to you" Eunha cutely celebrated like a small kid making Sinb smile.

Sinb extended her arms making Eunha turn her attention back to the girl in front of her.

"Friends?" Sinb asked. Eunha accepted her hand and the warmth is undeniably comfortable for the two of them

"Friends" Sinb blushed as well as Eunha.

-----

"The last time I had a break is that I did mountain climbing. It was tiring yet fun. I really love the view. It gives me the feeling that I'm on top of everything" Sinb shared. She never thought that her first visit in Eunha's place will become a habit to her.
"How about you? You never mentioned to me any of your travel experiences"

"I don't travel"

"Really?" Eunha nod

"I like travelling but I kniw I can't do it like you do. I mean, look at me. How can I travel with this sickness?"

"What's your sickness by the way?"

"I have a weak heart. I'm not allowed to get too tired nor too happy"

"So you still stand. I'm sure standing won't make you too tired" Eunha shook her head

"Aigoo, come on. Just for me. Do it for me. I wanna see you stand" Eunha gulped. Sinb seem to anticipate it and Eunha don't want to disappoint her friend. She wants to do it so she stares at her legs and slowly attempted to stand. Sweat started to get visible in her forehead, her knees trembling, and started to have rapid breathing.
"Stop, please don't force yourself" Sinb said when she noticed how Eunha is having a hard time to just atleast stand.

-----

Sinb is sitting on the couch while waiting for Eunha's mom.

"She's asleep now" the lady informed when she reached the living room and occupied the space beside Sinb. Sinb smiled at her
"I'm glad you're still coming here during your free time to be with my daughter. I can see that she's getting happier"

"It's a pleasure for me. Eunha is a great friend. So I won't mind coming here as much as I can" the lady smiled

"I'm glad to hear that"

"Actually, I have something to ask, but I'm afraid you'll misunderstood me"

"Don't worry too much. Feel free to ask me anything" Sinb took a deep breath

"I'm just curious. I understand that she has a weak heart, but usually the people I know with that condition can still stand and walk, so I'm wondering why Eunha can't"

"You can blame me for that" Sinb frown
"She has that sickness back when she's still very young. Her operation failed but thankfully she's still alive, but from that day on, I started to get afraid of letting her went through another operation. I also got so protective. I never allow her to walk, I carry her. I never allow her to atleast stand, I get what she needs. I let myself become her feet til she grew up and I realized how much mistake I did. She couldn't stand nor walk without falling. And it causes her fear. Fear that she'll be loss of control of her own body"

Sinb don't really get the whole thing but she tired to understand.

"I want her to have a normal life like the others, but I think I failed" Sinb sigh and tap the lady's shoulder

"I'm sure you did your best, don't blame yourself auntie"

"You're kind. No wonder my daughter likes you so much" Sinb smiled

"I have a favor to ask auntie"

"What is it?"

-----

Eunha happily roam her eyes around the place. It's her first time to be in a such wonderful place and she wished she could stay there longer, ofcourse with the company of Sinb.

"Do you like the view of nature?" Sinb asked. She's pushing the wheelchair of Eunha while heading to a higher area of that place so the view of the flowers and tress gets more visible for the two of them to enjoy.

"I love it so much" Sinb smiled. She ignored the pain in her back for carrying a heavy backpack filled with what she and Eunha needed in that trip as well as the tireness of her legs for walking to get into a higher far area while pushing the wheelchair of Eunha.
"Are you tired?"

"I'm fine. Still strong" Eunha blushed while Sinb continued to walk until they reach their aim place.

Sinb sits on a rock beside where Eunha is.
Eunha took a deep breath of fresh air.

"I love this kind of air. So refreshing" Eunha lovingly said with her eyes closed

"I love the fact that you love it here" Eunha opened her eyes to look at the girl beside her

"Thanks for asking mom and for bringing me here, Sinb-ah." Sinb smiled

"Anything for you will do" Eunha smiled back and they continued to enjoy the view as well as the fresh air. But nothing compares the happiness they both felt with the company of each other. Eunha, who for the first time went out for a trip with a friend; And Sinb, who is not alone for the first time in a trip.

Few minutes pass by, Sinb suddenly grab Eunha's hand and tightly holds it.

"Will you date me?" Eunha's eyes wided

"W-what.. stop joking"

"Jung Eunha, will you date me?" Sinb asked again. Even more serious that earlier yet her voice is still warm.

"B-but I'm sick"

"It doesn't matter to me"

"I can't even walk... or just atleast stand"

"Then I'll be your feet" Eunha's tears are forming in the coner of her eyes

"B-but Sinb, I know you love adventures and I can't do it" Sinb cup her Eunha's cheeks with her hands

"Facing each day with you is already an adventure. Some were easy, some were not. Some were happy, some were sad. It won't be easy, but I'm loving it" Eunha's tears started to flow. Sinb wipes them and caress Eunha's cheek.
"So will you date me, Eunbi 1?"

"My lifespan is surely lower than yours"

"Then I'll be with you til the last breath" Eunha can't take her emotions anymore.

"Can you give me a hug?" Sinb slightly laughed and hugged Eunha tightly
"I wanna be your girlfriend, Sinb. I wanna be one"

"Then you already are" Sinb kissed Eunhas forehead. Eunha cried even more out of happiness
"Hey, don't cry too much. You're not allowed to be too happy"

"I'm not too happy. I'm too loved and surely still be love. All thanks to you" Sinb kissed Eunha's forehead again.

 

 

--------------------

[Ambulophobia - fear of walking]