heliophobia

Phobia (one shots)

Umji is a smart and a hard working student council president. One late evening, while Umji is busy doing some paperworks inside the student council office with the other student council officers, she excused herself due to thw need to ise the comfort room. Walking around the hallway, Umji noticed that its already getting dark outside. She could only sigh since she couldn't go home yet because alot more paperworks needs to be done. After using the cr, Umji went back to the student council office to continue what she left. Hours pass by and slowly, the people inaide the office is getting fewer as other officers have went home already.

"Umji-ah, I need to go home now. You wanna walk all the way home with me?" the student council vice president said.

"No, it's okay. You can go first, I'll just finish this one"

"Are you sure? It's getting late and dark outside already"

"I'm fine. I can just call our personal driver to pick me up after I finish all this" the vice president shrugged

"Well, as you said so. I'll go first" Umji smiled then waved her hand. Now, it's only her left inside the office. It's the moment Umji is waiting the most. A moment of only her left during night time. Slowly, she fixed the papers then walked out of the office. With fast yet gentle steps, she headed to a nearby classroom. As soon as reach there, she saw a girl wearing black hood and is covering her face with her hair. Umji smiled then approaches the girl.

"Did you wait long?" Umji asked. The girl slightly lift her head to look at Umji then nods.
"I'm sorry. It took me a long time to wait for my co-officers at the student council to go home."

"It's okay" the girl said in low tone.

"So, shall we start now Sinb-ssi?" The girl named Sinb nods. Umji smiled.
"Here read this then after that, I'll give you a short quiz before I proceed with explaining to you the things in this handout." Umji handed her handout to Sinb in which the girl accepted then obeyed what is asked for her to do. Umji can't help smiling while looking at the girl. Sinb is endeed beautiful and smart yet she doesn't know why this girl is not exposing herself with the others.

*flashback*

Umji is reading her book when the school's director called for her attention. Umji headed to the director's office to know why she's called.

"Good morning, sir" Umji greets as she got inside.

"Oh, good morning Umji-ah. Please have a sit" Umji obeyed
"I heard that you're doing such a good job for being the student council president. That's a good thing. I hope you can keep that up" Umji smiled

"I will do my very best, sir"

"Actually Umji-ah, there's something I wanted to ask you. It's more like a favor. But it's only if you don't mind"

"What is it, sir?" The man sigh

"I have this niece. She's smart but she's not going out during the day. I'm so concern with her studies, also, it'll be dangerous if I send her to attend night classes in a huge university. So if you don't mind, will you be her tutor?"

"I don't mind but what time will be our tutoring session?"

"From 8 to 11. But don't worry, I'll be staying here in school. I'll also drive you home for your safety" Umji gulp. She wants to accept it since she can see the worries from the director's face towards his niece. But, the time is so late. Umji thought of spending it studying by herself or rest at home during those time.
"Actually, she's here. I forced her to come here with me incase you wanted to meet her" the director said as he observed how Umji is deeply thinking about it, or more like hesitant.

Umji frown when the director closed the curtains around his office making it a bit dark. Next thing, a girl with her head low came went out from a small room in that office then sat at the chair across Umji as guided by the director.

"Sinb-ah, look at her. She'll be your tutor" Sinb lift her head up to look at Umji. As soon as Umji saw that face, she got mesmerize with the undeniable beauty infront of her.

Sinb slightly bowed her head.

"Annyeong" Sinb greets with low tone. Umji smiled

"I'll do it. I'll be her tutor" the director widely smiled.
Sinb let out a small smile and it makes Umji slightly giggle yet makes sure it wouldn't be obvious.

"One more thing Umji-ah. Could you please keep it a secret between the three of us and your parents only?" Umji nods without thinking much.

*end of flashback*


Umji's smile widen as she remembered the first day she met Sinb. She never regretted accepting the director's favor at all. It was something good for her that finally, she got something she'll be excited with as her daily class end.

Sinb put down the handout then look at her side where she met Umji's smiling face.

"You're distracting me with those stares" Sinb said making Umji snap in reality. Umji looked away while covering her blushing cheeks due to embarrassment. Sinb smirked then rest her head at the table without removing her gaze to Umji.
"Why are you staring at me awhile ago?" Sinb asked

"Shut up. Continue reading the handout now"

"I like it when you smile while staring at me" Umji blushed even more.

"I told you to continue reading, Hwang Eunbi. If you're not gonna do it then... I'm going to stop teaching you from now on" Umji said with a warning tone. She didn't mean the last sentenced but Sinb took it seriously. Sinb tightly wrap her arms around Umji then rest her head to Umji's shoulder.

"Don't leave me" Umji is still in the state of shock with Sinb's action.

"N-ne?"

"You're my only friend, Umji-ah. Life is boring without you" Sinb tighten her grip to Umji

"Y-you can have more friends if you expose yourself during daytime since more people are out."

"I'm afraid"

"You're smart and pretty. I'm sure people will love you." Sinb didn't respond. She closed her eyes and later on falls asleep without letting go of Umji. Slowly, Umji started to get comfortable with their position. She stared at Sinb's sleeping face, caress Sinb's hair with care then smiled. They stayed like that until the school director came to the classroom.

"Umji-ah, time to go home now" the school director said. His eyes caught Sinb sleeping in Umji's shoulder.
"I'm sorry. Did Sinb bothered you?"

"Not at all, sir." Umji replied. The man breath in relief.

"That's good to hear then. By the way, I'll send you home now" Umji nod. The man is about to go out of the classroom to prepare his car but Umji softly called him. Making sure not to wake Sinb up with her voice.

"May I ask you something sir? It's about Sinb"

"Sure. What is it?"

"Why isn't she exposing herself?" The man sigh

"You've been her tutor for weeks already. I think you have the rights to know" Umji waited for the director to continue.
"She's heliophobic. Incase you're not aware of it, it's a phobia that fears the sun. She got that fear after losing her mom due to melanoma."

"Melanoma? You mean skin cancer?" The director nod. Silence filled the room for a moment until the director decided ti break it.

"I'll go prepare the car now Umji-ah. I'll just wait for you and Sinb at the front gate." He said before leaving. Umji sigh and looked at Sinb.

"Now I understand" Umji murmured before she gently shakes Sinb's body. Sinb opened her eyes then sit straight.
"Time to go home now Sinb-ah"

"Already? Why so early?" Umji cup her hands to Sinb's cheeks.

"Don't worry. We'll neet again tomorrow"

"You're not gonna stop tutoring me?"

"Tsk. How can I leave this beagle?" Sinb smiled
"Shall we go now? Your uncle is already waiting for us at the front gate" Sinb happily nods.

They both fixed their things first before going out of the classroom. While walking at the hallway, Sinb reached for Umji's hand and held it tightly. Umji doesn't seem to mind as she let Sinb intertwined their hands together.
 

--------------------

[Heliophobia - fear of the sun]