Late Night Journey

Princess of the Mining

It's been a week since Minhyuk got Yongsun's number, but let alone a call, even a single text message never been dared to be sent to the girl. Byulyi was right, he was a chicken. A roasted one.

He was very keen on dragging his best friend for almost everyday for having lunch on the very same canteen he met Yongsun. Saying that he's really-really likes the pasta served there. Even though Byulyi knew that was just a lame excuse, she didn't have the heart to rejecting the in love boy. But after a week passed and Yongsun never showed up on the canteen anymore, Minhyuk starting to lose his faith on meeting Yongsun again. 

And here they were, on the very rare occasion being in the library. Of course after spending hours in the canteen waiting for Minhyuk's angel with no avail.

"Seriously Minhyuk, just text her! What's so hard about typing a message?" Byulyi scolding her friend.

"If only it's that easy..." Minhyuk sighed.

"I don't know how hard it is, but i was sure that was much easier than this Euler Equations...." Byulyi retorted. She's almost frustrated for not getting said equation right, even if she's been working on it for almost half an hour.

"What should I say 'Hi, how are you?' or 'HiI'm Lee Minhyukdid you remember me?' Who's Minhyuk? She don't even know my name... Why I didn't introduce myself to her? What if she thinks that I'm creepy? How stupid...". Minhyuk groaned.

"I'm glad that you finally acknowledge yourself: stupid. What's the use of getting her number if you won't even give her a call?"

"Can't you be more supportive? You know I am weak for girls, maybe that's why I am stuck with you."

"Why do I have a feeling that's more like an insult. I am a GIRL too, Hyukie..."

"Then act like one, ouch!!!!" Minhyuk screamed in pain after Byulyi smacked her 1000 pages text book on his head.

"Rather than mourning over your helplessness, why don't you help me with this paper instead?"

"I had already explained the same thing for the 3rd time within 30 minutes and you still can't get it? Sometimes I wonder how did you even could enter Mining Engineering? Ouch!..." Another slap on his forehead.

"Yah Byulyi, stop hitting my precious face! It's the only asset I'm proud of."

"I am not stupid Hyukie, well... maybe just not that smart....."

"That's basically the same thing." 

"It's just this Fluid Mechanic thingy wasn't really my thing. And the teacher must have something against me, that's why she never gave me scores better than D. She must be feeling envy with my beauty. I don't know if being pretty is such a burden." Byulyi groaned. Thinking of getting another D for her subject makes her stomach cramped. Minhyuk could only roll his eyes over his best friend remark. 

"Stop blaming the other. The fact you can't even solve this basic matter tells everything."

"You said that this bunch of weird symbols in this long- equation was a basic thing? Oh, wow... I'm done with this life!"

"Alright... alright... let's just begin from the start..."

Minhyuk grabbed Byulyi's text book, looking for the page Byulyi was struggling with.

"But... You know, nothing's free right?"

"What now Minhyuk? If you tell me that I should pay you with my body, then no thanks. I am not that shallow. Now I'm sure being pretty was a bad luck."

"Silly... even if you're the only women alive, I may not be attracted to you."

"Huh, just don't swallowed back your own spit, dude! You may regret it later."

"Nah, never!"

"Whatever..... So what is it?"

================================

Yongsun closed her locker after she put her folded lab-coat inside. She bids her goodbye to her mates whose also packed their stuff since it's already late. 

She was walking down the stair on the 3rd floor of Chemical Faculty Building when her phone buzzed. A smile crept on her lips while she stumble reaching for her phone. 

But soon her smile dropped upon reading the ID of the caller.

"Wheein-ah, what is it?" She said nonchalantly for the caller not to notice her disappointment. It's not like that she did not like Wheein, it's just she hoped that the caller was someone else. 

What am I expected? She sighed.

"Unnie, where are you? It's almost midnight and you're not home yet?" Wheein concerned.

"I was in the lab and on my way home. Don't worry Wheein-ah..."

"If you said so.... Just be careful unnie, I don't think it's safe for you to walk at this hour."

"Yes, Mam!"

Wheein chuckled before she hangs off the call.

Yongsun speeds up her steps, feeling bad for making her roommate worried.

This past week was a hell for her. Going back and forth between lab, classes, and library in attempt to finish the subject she was assigned to. She barely even had a proper meal, so having a normal lunch in the canteen was extraordinarily impossible. Yes, it has been a week since Yongsun visiting the canteen near her faculty's building. And it's been a week since she held her hope up high for someone whom she even didn't know the name to give her a call.

Stupid.

The last time she visited the canteen was when she met them. She was surprised when a waiter came to her table and handed her a folded note, saying that it was given by someone seated on the other table. She looked at the said table which was occupied by a handsome guy and a handsome girl. Well, they looked like a couple.

Yongsun hesitantly unfolds the note and read what was written on it.

You smiled as bright as the sun. You blinded me. I can't see anything but you. But I won't sue you for making me blind if you give your name and phone number as retribution.

That was cheesy, really. But Yongsun couldn't stop herself from smiling as wide as she could. She only stopped smiling when her cheek felt like cramped. 

She glanced over the table, and even they were separated like meters away, she's sworn that she saw those eyes twinkled. It's captivating.

And then she felt it. The flutter. The butterfly. The firework. The roller coaster. The Conjuring.

Wait, why Conjuring? Because it makes her heart skipped a beat like when she watched the movie.

Her reaction did not get unnoticed by her friends. They snatched the note from her hand, and just in seconds she was being the subject of teasing from her evil friends.

She snatched back the note and unconsciously writes her name and her number. Yes, it was called unconscious since there's no way she just give her number to  some random stranger. Her hand must be moved by itself as if it was controlled by involuntary nerves. She was sure of it.

She handed back the note to the waiter, told him to give the note to its owner. She then left the canteen as soon as possible. Partially because she felt embarrassed by her friend's antic, and mostly because she did not want the owner of those twinkling eyes noticing the sudden cherry blossom on her face.

And that was a week ago. She felt stupid for being giddy every time her phone buzzed, only to get herself thrown into an endless tunnel of disappointment.

She felt reluctant when entering the pathway of the Earth Engineering Faculty. On the normal occasion, she would prefer to take the other road to avoid the probability of meeting the Earth Engineering students. It's not that they're dangerous or something, just annoying, a group of primitive human being who would whistle every time a group of girls passing their building. The faculty consisted of Majors that was male-based  student, such as Geology, Petroleum, and Mining Engineering. May be that's why they're acting a bit over towards girls. Not all of them of course, some people just can't controll their childish side really well.

But it was the closest road to the campus gate. Yongsun felt like having no choice or else she should take the other road which is far enough for her liking, since getting into her comfy bed was her greatest desire at the moment. 

It was late, there must be not much student around at this hour.

"Ffwuiit.... fwuittttt!!!" 

Guess she was wrong. 

"Hey pretty, walking home alone? Wanna get a ride?"

She cursed under her breath hearing those annoying whistle. She speeds up her steps, trying to ignore the squealing guys in front of the Earth Engineering Faculty Building. 

"Come on pretty, don't play that hard to get... we won't bite." A guy trailed behind her. She looked upon the guy and glared, trying to look as intimidating as possible. But hey, who would feel intimidated by a squirtle?

"Stand back, Sungjae! You scared her." A voice heard.

"Yah, Byulyi! you're no fun." The boy called Sungjae whined.

A slim girl appeared into the light, and it's surprised Yongsun to see the girl's face.

It's the handsome girl.

The handsome girl looked surprised as well for seeing Yongsun.

"I count in three, or else you know the consequences." Byulyi threatened.

"Aish... Alright, Princess. I stayed out of trouble, you can take the girl." Sungjae grumbled.

Silence falls between the two girls after Sungjae's leave.

"You're heading home? I think it's better if we walk together since we both heading the front gate, right?" Byulyi said.

"Yeah, sure."

They're walking together in silence. It's awkward as they both did not know how to start the conversation.

"So, you're Kim Yongsun, right? We've met before, um... not technically meet, I guess. The canteen girl?" Byulyi tried to break the silence.

"You remember me? I thought you guys already forget about me. You and that handsome boy."

Of course I remember. How can I forget when Minhyuk keep blabbering about you all day long.

"Handsome? You mean that stupid boy? I am Byulyi by the way, Moon Byulyi. And that stupid boy was Minhyuk, my eternal enemy." 

"So, his name is Minhyuk? And, oh! You're Moon Byulyi they've been talking about? The Princess of the Mining?" Yongsun gasped upon hearing the name.

"Oh, you've heard about that? The silly nick name?"

"Of course. Who didn't know The Princess? The only female of the Mining Engineering student in the year of 2016." Yongsun grinned like a kid.

Byulyi rubbed the back of her neck while smiling foolishly.

Am I that famous?

"Now I knew that they were right, you're cool! Look at how you shoved the boy, you must have some reputation here." 

Am I that cool?

Byulyi's thought.

"Well, I 'm sorry about those guys, they don't have any bad intentions. They're just a bit nosy sometimes."

"Don't worry, I understand. But thank you anyway, you saved me from that annoying guy." Yongsun made a dramatic face which makes Byulyi chuckles in results.

"Yeah, they should call me Prince instead of Princess."  Yongsun laughed at her remark.

The rest of the journey was fun and less awkward. They keep chatting about some random things that comes in mind. Well, it was a long-tired-night for them both as they should stayed late for the sake of their academic life. But maybe it's not that bad after all.

○●□■♤♡♢♧☆

Yeah, I know it's long, and boring, and messy, but I hope you enjoy reading this of mine. 

Anyway, thanks for your votes, subscribes, and comments.