Smile that beamed like the sun

Princess of the Mining

Being one of the very few things in this world would make them special right? Just look at how people would kill each other for diamonds. Or how the Collectors would spend million dollars for antiques. Or how the Hunters would happily play hide and seek game with police ranger for a Javan Rhinoceros's horn. Even Byulyi's mom would give her attention more for her dear self-proclaimed the-most-rare-orchid-in-the-world more than for her beloved daughter even though her dad told her mom like hundred times that he had seen the said rare-orchid on almost every park.

And here's Byulyi busy cursing her dear life for not getting the privilege she's deserved for her special condition. And it's thanks to Lee Minhyuk, the spawn of satan.

Mining Engineering has its reputation for having more of male than female student. Every year, the ratio of male and female student never shows a fair number. Among hundreds of new student registering to Mining Engineering Department, the number of females always can be counted by fingers. The year Byulyi registering to the Department was the worst. She was the one and only female registering there.

Her major-mates and her seniors start to make a lame joke about her being The Princess of the Mining. Soon, the title spread wild like fire and stuck with her forever.

Being the only female on her Major, she dreamed of getting all the sweetest things for her privilege. Like her mates would do all the cost for her sake. They would shed their blood, sweet, and tears just to keep her safe. Providing her with all the easy access to overcome the hell day of academic life. Protecting her like she was the most precious thing that matter in this world.

She got all of that, until a boy named Lee Minhyuk, one of her class-mate, deciding to risk his life by annoying the mighty Byulyi on the first week of their class. The boy got the honor, being the first one of the entire campus to taste Byulyi's kicks and fists, ended up with some bruises and a split lip. 

Starting from that very fateful day, her male-major-mate begin to treat her otherwise. They found the girl was frightening. Hell no they would cheris the girl as a girl when the girl herself did not act like a girl. So, rather than treat the girl as their cute little sister, they treated her like she was one of their kind. Their Bro.

Not that she's complaining though, she was used to it. It's comfortable for her for the boys treated her equally. But sometimes, just sometimes, she needs her girl power to be acknowledged. For example, in the situation she had been through at the moment.

"Yah, Minhyuk! It's heavy...." Byulyi's panting heavily. She drops the theodolite she's been carrying on the ground harshly. Tons of sweat droplet formed on every of her skin pores.

"Watch out dwarf! You might break that. The other team needs to use this after." Minhyuk retorted.

"I can't believe you made me carry this while you took that small box one."

"Just accept your fate. I still could remember the face of the girl that beaten me up a year ago. She's clearly stronger than me. So stop whining and get your off of the ground. We only have less than an hour to collect the data and stuffs."

"You know what, i am starting regretting my decision for accepting to be paired up with you for this project. I should knew it better. Sometimes I forget how gentleman you are." Byulyi scoffed sarcastically.

"Oh wow.... It's not like the other will treat you differently, princess."

"Yeah... I've been sorrounded by s. I must be cursed to deserved you guys."

"No, we know you loved us too much, sis..."

"Shut up! And set the tools up!"

Byulyi and Minhyuk did not get along well at first. But after the fight they're trying to rebuild their friendship and then found out that they were meant for each other. Not in the romantic way, of course. They're stuck together like they were tied by some kind of invisible string. There's no way you would find Minhyuk  without Byulyi around, and vice versa. They would bicker at times, but that's just the way they show their love for each other.

"Yah, stop sulking! You're ugly already without making that face."

"One more word and you'll die, Lee Minhyuk!" Byulyi glared. She's grabbing his neck with her arms, threatening the boy to shut his mouth.

"Yah, somebody help! I've been assaulted. This woman is crazy...." 

"Shut up!" Byulyi pinned down Minhyuk to the ground  while the boy struggling to save his life. 

Some student passed by just could shake their head as if it was a normal sight seeing them like this, which is true anyway. These two were idiots after all.

=====================

"Stop staring, Hyukie. You looked like a creep." Byulyi scoffed her friend.

They were in the canteen having their lunch. But ever since a group of girls entering the canteen like 30 minutes ago, Minhyuk can't take his eyes off of the girls, one particular girl exactly. It's creepy. But what can he do, girls were something hard to seen in his class. So here he was, taking the opportunity he had, gawking over girls as he could.

Minhyuk sighed.

"She is so pretty. Just look at that smile.... i can live forever just by fed with that smile."

"Yeah, then stop stealing my food Hyukie. You have had emptied half of my plate. You just can eat her smile instead." Byulyi slapped Minhyuk's hand that reached out for her food.

"Yah! don't be that stingy, you brat!"

"I loved you Hyukie, but i love my food more. And stop gawking. Knowing you, you won't even make a move to get her."

"Oh, wow! And why was that Einstein?"

"You make it sound like a complicated calculus equation while it's simply because you're chicken. Nah, you should just sit on my plate, some cheese and pepper will make you taste better."

"That's really mean. You've hurt me."

"Oh, sorry my friend. You know that I never meant it." Byulyi let out a fake cry dramatically.

"Shut up! I'll get her number, just wait and see."

Minhyuk grabs the paper bill of their menu and scribes some note on it before folding the paper neatly. He then held his hand up, called for the waiter to come to their table.

"Hey, please take this to the girl over there, the one with rosy hair." Minhyuk handed the paper to the waiter, slipped some won as a tip. The waiter nodded and leave their table.

"What are you doing?" Byulyi watched her friend confusingly.

"Just watch, dude!"

The waiter arrived at the girl's table and handed the note. He makes a little conversation with the girl before pointed out to Minhyuk and Byulyi's table. Said girl looked in their direction with furrowed eyebrow before opening the note.

Byulyi looked down and tried to hide her face, felt embarrassed by her friend action. Minhyuk his-self, the culprit of this embarrassing moment, also copying Byulyi's action, does not have the courage to face the girl. 

One moment later, giggling and teasing could be heard from the other table. 

Gosh, girls are noisy. Byulyi' s though. But hey, she was a girl herself.

Byulyi rises her head, mustering her courage to look at the other table. The girl with rosy hair smiled brightly to their direction, earning loud squealing from her friends. Minhyuk on the other hand was blushing like crazy.

The rosy haired girl scribbed the note and handed it back to the waiter. She and her group leave the canteen right after.

The waiter came back to their table and handed the note. Minhyuk open the note with racing heart before he jumps in victory as if he was winning the Grammy.

"YEAH!!!!!! I got it!!! I got her number!" Minhyuk screamed, making almost all of the canteen visitors looked at his direction.

Byulyi leaves the table silently. Pretending that she doesn't know the embarrassing boy.

"Wait, Byulyi. Where'd you going?" Minhyuk run over his best friend. He nudged the girl head once he passed her.

"Her name is Kim Yongsun, and i got her number!" Minhyuk keeps blabbering.

"Shut up, Hyukie! We don't know each other!"

"Yah, Moon Byulyi, wait! I know you're jelous. But you know that I love you the most!"

"God, boys are embarrassing, girls are annoying. WHERE do I have to stand?!" Byulyi muttered.

Byulyi keeps her head low. Speeding up her steps for Minhyuk won't catch up on her.

Although felt amused by him, Byulyi 100% agree that the rosy haired girl was pretty. Of course she had seen pretty girls everywhere, but something about the girl caught her attention. But what? May be it's her smile that beamed like the sun.