Team Teal

Around the Campfire

I sit on the bench until I feel myself calming down. I stand up allowing myself to stretch. I was turning to go down the steps to walk around when I spotted Mack walking loosely around trees, his purple and blue rib cord leash dragging behind him. I get on my knee whistling trying to get Mack's attention.

"Come here Mack. Come here buddy."

I click my tongue pinching my two fingers together. Mack waddle walks to me sniffing my hand giving me a kiss. He snorts as I pet him on the top of his head.

"Good Boy."

He flops over on his back, I scratch the skin of his back end and tummy. I couldn't hep but laugh at his repeated snorts. He get up shaking his fur and puffs his tail. I see his owner looking around by the welcome center. She's dressed in a blue blouse, white skirt, and white flip flops. She has a daisy flower headband around her pretty black hair.

"Mack? Mack?! Where are you?"

I grab his leash and walk him to Bella.

"Is he yours?"

She gleams with happiness picking up the pug in her arms. She hugs the dog following kisses. 

"You have got to stop running away from me."

She sets him down grabbing his leash.

"Thank you very much for finding him and bringing him to me. He has this weird habit of wandering off sometimes. Hey I know you. Is your name Ji Yong?"

I nearly died inside. SHE REMEMBERS ME! I nod.

"I remember you were in Mr. Bin's chemistry class. We were lab partners. How have you been? How's your mom?"

Ah Mr. Bin. I almost forgot that teacher. He was my favorite one to pick on. He always smelled like potting soil. He never cut his hair in his life and he didn't believe in washing his hair either. He always looked like he had a rats nest on his head. Which is why he earned the nickname dirt pants. 

"She's good. She's going to have a baby in a couple months. We're expecting a baby girl. I've been okay."

Bella seems to be very excited about hearing that I'm going to be a big brother. I knew she's a er for babies. She and her mom run a daycare in my neighborhood called Tot Town. It's very successful for a small business. She claps her hands nearly scaring Mack.

"Oh Ji Yong! You are going to be a good big brother!" 

I smile big. My heart is literally fluttering. She is just too cute. I was about to ask her out when she suddenly looked at her watch. 

"Oh my, I believe my resting break is over I need to head back to my campers. You have a good day Ji Yong. It was great seeing you again!"

Just like that... She's gone. I watch as her and her chubby pug walk toward the other side. I sigh kicking a rock. You aren't really the ladies man Ji, quit getting your hopes up. 

I see Janie walking out of the cafeteria. She signals me to meet her. I walk towards her.

"Ji Yong please follow me to your cabin."

I follow her to the cabin. She sits on the log near the fire pit. She gives me a look of disappointment. 

"Why did you leave?"

I shrug not giving her a full vocal answer. She shakes her head.

"Your behavior is becoming unacceptable. I don't know why you're acting like this but I want it to stop. I'm about to keep you and Seung Hyun together in one cabin."

I make a fist with my right hand. She is starting to get on my nerves. 

"I don't want to be here Janie. I want to go home. Neither of you morons can fix me. I am who I am. You can make me wash 1,000 dishes and mop the floors of the bathrooms nothing will work."

"Well unfortunately you are not leaving after a few minor set backs. I know you can be a great kid but this harassing has got to stop. If working will Phyllis don't work I have another idea. Tomorrow will be different we'll start fresh. Okay?"

"Whatever."

She stands. 

"Phyllis informed me earlier that her husband wants to help her so I'm going to have you join your cabin team with the sport and swimming. Tomorrow's activity is pretty fun. Let's go back and finish eating lunch."

She starts walking up the trail. I follow behind her. We walk pass the lake and I happened to see a whole new team that I never seen before. The counselor is a tall male with down syndrome wearing a teal shirt. The campers are six teenagers who look 16-17 years old they all have a disability. Janie took the time to introduce herself to the team.

"Hi guys welcome to Camp Oakwood! I'm Janie and this young man is Ji Yong from Team Tye die!"

I give a half hearted wave at the campers. The counselor shook Janie's and my hand with a big smile. 

"I'm Kane, this is Geun Suk, Hyuk Do, Kang Ji, Hong Lim, Hwang Jin Ki,and Hwa Rang."

Janie takes time to greet the campers happily and told them if they needed anything to page her as she left with me back to the cafeteria. When I walk back in the building I got sneers from Hong Ki. I return the sneers with eye rolls and quick hidden flips of my middle finger. Janie told Gabe her plan and about Team Teal. Gabe brought up to her that I did not like soccer. Janie gleams as she said she had an idea. She happily walks toward me. 

"Ji Yong instead of doing soccer you can come with Luna to help her set up a stage prop for our summer talent show that takes place next month. It's like our final activity on the last day before everyone goes home."

After thinking it over in my head for a second I agreed. If I have to play with clownie and the dork and chase a ball around I swear I will be going nuts. I really didn't want to exhaust myself and become all gross and sweaty. She claps her hands.

"Great! Stay here and wait for Luna."

She leaves in a bit of a hurry. Gabe claps his hands. ...I am honestly ready to glue his hands together and sew his lips together. Anything to shut this man up.

"Alright campers! This is the plan! We're going to go swimming for an hour this will assign us our swim partners then we will get ready for the game!"

Gabe says bye to me before leaving with the campers. I sit and wait for Luna. I check my watch it's been nearly ten minutes, I could be giving the dork a swirly in the toilet. Speaking of toilet I really had to pee. I know I was supposed to wait for someone but when you have to pee as bad as I do you are not waiting for anyone to give you permission. It's now or never.

I hold the front of myself and walk outside. Just my luck the bathroom that is the closest had a line. I was at the point where I could not hold it anymore.  I booked it down the right down the hike trail. I didn't see Luna walking down the trail I accidentally bumped roughly into her chest and fell back. 

"Woah where's the fire?"

I stood immediately apologizing to her and explained that I really had to use the restroom. She points to a tool shed and told me to go quickly behind it so we can get going. She turns around while I went and followed her to a large log stage awning. Underneath is an enormous oak stage complete with colored lights and a red curtain. Outside surrounding area has 20 wood benches on the left and right side. 

"Okay kiddo we want to write: Camp Oakwood 2018 on this giant banner. I'm going to let you get creative. Holler if you need anything."

She gives me tons of paints and markers. As she left to the right side to fix some of the backgrounds. I smile.

"Holler."

I let out a hearty laugh when she turns back. She returns the laugh and continues to work. I finish the lettering on the banner within the hour. I wrote: CAMP OAKWOOD in block letters and then 2018 in like an 80's style font. I pat myself on the shoulder very satisfied with my creation. Luna passes by and sneaks a peek at the banner.

"Wow Ji Yong! You are quite the artist! That looks great!"

I bow giving her a proud smile. 

"Thank you."

I continued to work on the banner, it was half full of color when Luna told me to stop for the day. She walks with me to the cabin so I can have my quiet time while the pathetic squad is out playing soccer.

"Ji Yong I'm going to read out here on the patio. If you need me just say the word."

I nod to her just as she closes the door I pop it back open and innocently smiles at her.

"Word."

She laughs at me and shoos me back inside the cabin. I laugh and lay down on my bed. I am not tired at all but I might as well rest up a bit. I took a piece of paper out of dorky's notebook. I use my Cirque Du Freak book as a make shift table. I wrote a letter to my mom:

Hey Mom, 

It's Day 1 of this nature nightmare. I have yet to have any fun. There is a kid here that won't leave me alone. The food is okay but not as near great as your homemade food. I really do miss home and the thought of being here for almost 3 months is hurtful and hard to even imagine. I hope you are okay at home and you've got the nursery almost done. I honestly can't wait for my sissy to come into the world. I promised her that I will be the best brother in the world... or at least I'll try. Hell will reign on the soul that messes with her. Big Bro will be on their heels. There's a talent show at the end of the summer I'm definitely going to participate in. I wrote a song for sissy and I want to sing it loud and proud. I'll write again soon. 

Love you always. - Ji Yong

When the hour had finished I walk out to ask Luna if she had a stamp I could borrow. She said that I could drop my letter in the outgoing box in the front office. The soccer game is finishing coming back from the front office. The guys came back in smelling like sweat and extremely dirty of dirt and grass stains. Gabe came in behind them.

"Hey Ji Yong. How was your day with Luna?"

I cover my nose wincing at the horrible smell that they are bringing in. I say my day is good as I search around the room for a can of air freshener. 

"Unfortunately we lost the game but that's okay it's not about winning right?"

Ha. Losers. Gabe claps his hands. My eyelid twitches each time. He knows that irks me so much. I will ninja kick his smelly if he does it again. 

"Okay campers. It's obvious we need showers before dinner. Lets do that and I will call the cafeteria so that way Phyllis can keep seven dinner plates warm for us we can eat there after everyone else leaves."

Everyone nods. I'm down as long as you five get clean. If needed I'll throw tide pods and water at you. We gather our bathroom products and a fresh change of clothes. One by one we all grab showers and change. Gabe walks us to the cafeteria. We sit at our table as Phyllis and her husband give us each a plate of Chicken, Mac and Cheese, and rice pilaf. 

"So guys tomorrow we are going to start a team project. We are making a large solar powered go kart. There will be groups of three so that's two karts. We will race them within a month."

Cheers all around. Everyone starts talking about designs and colors. I chimed in saying that we can have our parents come watch the race. Everyone agrees that it would be pretty cool. Dinner was over and we all help Phyllis wash our dishes and we clean the table. 

Going out I trip over something I could not tell what it was that made me fall. I scraped my elbow, hissing in pain I stand up on the verge of curing up a storm. Gabe must've known what I was close to bursting out saying he touches my back and walks behind me. 

"Ji Yong you're okay. Let's go to the nurse."

I sharply pull away from him covering my bleeding elbow.

"Don't touch me you big goon! I can walk on my own!"

We walk into the nurse's office. She introduced herself as Kendra and works quickly to clean my elbow and put a bandage on it. I look over seeing Hong Ki making mocking crying faces at me.

"SHUT UP FREAK!"

Gabe shushes me as I stand and sign a piece of paper of treatment. Gabe tells Hong Ki not to mock and we walk back to the cabin. Gabe starts a fire in the fire pit.

"At least today was a little better than yesterday guys. I'm fairly proud that there was no huge incidents."

He opens his bag taking out Reese's Cups for each of us. 

"You guys earned the candy today for effort. I know tensions are tight but I know we can do this. I want everyone sitting here to try to be friends. Put all differences aside and let's put on some happy faces. I have that strong feeling that we can get a long and each one of you are excellent kids."

He looks at me.

"Especially you Ji Yong. You can be an excellent kid. I want you stop being mean."

I shrug in reply, he sighs and stands. 

"Okay guys I think it's time to hit the hay. Goodnight."

We walk inside and Gabe extinguishes the fire. We got changed and sit in our beds. Gabe allows us to talk to each other while he is writing out the schedule for tomorrow. I see dork and Hong Ki talking to each other a bit quiet than necessary. The keep looking over at me so I know they are talking about me. Gabe announces it's time for lights out. He shuts off the ceiling light. I just so happened to catch the dork's shadow I grab him by his ankle then pull him down grabbing his shirt. I lean him close so I am beside his ear.

"I have no idea what you two were whispering about, but if you do anything to me, you'll be waking up upside down in the Pacific Ocean. Got me?"

I hear a worried whimper as he tries to loosen my grip. I could not see him very well in the dark but I count it as a yes. I let go pushing him roughly he runs up the ladder and hides in his bed.

I have a feeling that he is up to something but it's bothering me so much that I do not know what it is. I wish I knew. Now that Hong Ki is all defensive it's like he has a body guard as goony as he is. They're both easy to take down. All you have to do is throw a stick and show a deck of Pokemon cards and they are both satisfied. My intention is to be up all night in case they try something. 

Gabe instructs me to lay down. I obey Fog Horn's command but unfortunately I am not as energetic as I thought. I am actually dozing off. I try multiple times to shake the sleep out of my mind but nothing seems to work. I give in and decided to rest and force my eyes to stay open. I got to thinking of my soon to be little sister and how pretty Bella really is. I play scenes in my head of what might would have happened if I asked her at that moment. Soon enough I accidentally nodded off to sleep.