Seung Hyun FIGHTING

Around the Campfire

"Campers it's time to get up."

We all woke up and grabbed our bags preparing for showers. I notice that the others are giving me looks like I did something wrong. I look around then back at them shrugging.

"What?" 

They shake their heads before leaving the cabin to head to the shower room. Seung Hyun walks beside me. 

"Morning pal. Do you remember talking to us last night?"

I shake my head confused. All I remember is going to bed then dreaming about my dog and a ton of tacos. Honestly it's the best dream I've ever had. We take our showers then go the the main hall for morning announcements. I see Gabe talking to Janie. On my way to the row where the rest of my team are sitting in I heard a chunk of their conversation. 

"Usually people who talk in their sleep what they say means nothing. I'll talk to him later though."

Hmm. I wonder who talks in their sleep. I'm glad I don't do that. I sit in the folding chair between to Seung Hyun and Hong Ki. Luna walks up front.

"Good Morning guys. Today is the first day of Talent Show sign ups. We'll be auditioning in a couple days. The auditions are in the afternoon here in the Main Hall. Let myself and your counselor know what you'll be doing. If you'll be singing your song cannot be explicit. I'll keep you updated on auditions."

Seung Hyun taps my arm and leans over to whisper.

"You need to sing in that."

"I want to."

We hear a couple campers from team Purple laugh at a volume just enough for the six of us to hear. We turn around to see them smirking. I shake my head confused and wondering what these idiots are laughing at, yet trying to think at their intelligence level is giving me a headache.

"I'm going to regret asking this question but what are you morons are laughing at?"

One of them mock me while the other just laugh.

"Oh nothing that is your business turn around Sprinkles."

I roll my eyes. They really need to be whacked with a brick but instead of giving in to my temptations we slowly turn back around giving our attention to Luna who was starting to give an announcement to the counselors. 

"Staff Night Out starts tonight. We got the substitute counselors to take over go ahead and grab a registration sheet if you're interested."

Gabe, Bella, Janie, Melody from team blue, Hayden from team Purple grab a sheet from the front. Kane was going to try to grab a sheet but one of his campers, a tall teen named Geun Suk, wasn't too hot on the idea of him going out for a couple hours which send him into a meltdown. Kane managed to get him outside so not to disturb anyone and so he could calm him down.

The jerks behind us found it absolutely hysterical. Seung Hyun spun around.

"Shut your mouths! It's not his fault!"

"Keep quiet loser!"

I tapped his shoulder.

"Just wait..."

Luna continued on which the rest of the announcements then told us it was time for breakfast. 

"Okay everyone it's time for breakfast! Today is my favorite pancakes and bacon. Let's go eat!"

Half of the room, which was: Team Red, Orange, Yellow, and Green left out the left side door and the rest of us: Blue, Purple, Tie Dye, and Teal left out the right side. Kane had just calmed Geun Suk down. In fact, Geun Suk, stops me by grabbing my arm smiling ear to ear. 

"Ji!"

Kane tries to loosen his grip.

"Geun Suk, hey, you don't grab people like that."

I shake my head I really can't help but smile at his cheerful smile. He grips tight pulling me in his arms in a gentle hug.

"It's okay Kane I don't mind hugs."

Geun Suk lets go after a second and walks off laughing at nothing in particular. Kane follows behind him. Gabe helps me adjust my hair that Geun Suk messed up in his hug.

"He's a hugger. I guess you're his new friend."

We go into the cafeteria to eat breakfast. The jerks from behind us started laughing again about the near fight in the main hall. We choose to ignore them and eat. Janie taps my shoulder. 

"Ji Yong? Can I talk to you outside real quick?"

I nod and follow her outside. We sit on the barrier outside the rails of the stair case.

"I heard you had a bit of a rough night last night."

I tilt my head confused. I don't know why everyone is assuming I had a rough night. I slept perfectly fine. 

"Do you feel tired?"

I shake my head.

"I've heard you got up earlier and you walked around. You also yelled at Gabe and hurt him by mistake."

My jaw dropped. I had a small dislike for Gabe but I wouldn't physically hurt him, not intentional at least. I didn't understand how I hurt him though. 

"I know you didn't mean it and you didn't know what you were doing, but you were sleep walking last night. Gabe grabbed you to hold you back in fear you were going to accidentally hurt someone and you hit him with your back. Sleep walking is sometimes caused by stress. I want to make sure you're okay and what I can do to help with that. What's going on at home before you left for here?"

I shrug. I am not the one to usually discuss my personal life on command. Janie after a minute pats my shoulder. 

"It's okay if you don't want to discuss it. I understand. If you need me for anything at all please let me know. I'm always here to listen to anything that is bugging you."

We hear a loud crash. We walk in to see Seung Hyun sitting on top of one of the jerk campers from Team Purple grabbing his throat trying to render him unconscious. 

"I'M GONNA BREAK YOUR DAMN NECK!"

Gabe peels Seung Hyun off immediately carrying him out. I see the camper he attacked looking traumatized while the others were teasing him saying he broke the wimp. I kinda felt proud of Seung Hyun in a way. I didn't know he had it in him. The shock wore off when I saw Janie walk him outside heading towards her office. 

"What happened?" I asked Hong Ki.

"All they did was call you a low life free loader. All I heard was his fork hit the floor and off he flew at him from behind and bear attacked him, I mean he FLEW he mauled him from 10 feet away. The kid is athletic."

My jaw drop trying to hold back a laugh. We finish eating and talk about what had happened. I am still in absolute shock that he managed to attack him. Atta boy dorky. In a way I kinda feel bad, all I've done to him is cause humiliation and grief and he jumps to MY defense. When breakfast was over, we waited at our table for Gabe and Seung Hyun to come back. 

Phyllis comes out to collect plates. I immediately walk up to her for a hug. She smiles accepting the affection and returning. 

"Hi Sprinkles."

We all help her with the dishes. She bows.

"Thank you boys. You're the first that helped me voluntarily."

I follow her into the kitchen to help her put the dishes in the sink. She gives me a small shove with her elbow.

"You know you're the only camper who gives me hugs and helps me."

I smile giving her a gentle shove with my elbow back she laughs heartily. I rinse off the soaked dishes. 

"Yeah you remind me of my Grandma that I lost last month. She was very nice and always happy like you."

For some reason I thought I had offended Phyllis. I knew I didn't and I think I made her proud. In fact she gave me a back pat she smiled so big her dentures accidentally fell out into the sink.

"Whoops." 

She fetched them out of the soap water and rinsed them off under the tap. After nearly wetting ourselves from laughing so hard I asked if her dentures were okay. She nods wiping the tears from laughing.

"Yes they are fine it happens sometimes. If you want you call me Grandma or Gram I do not mind at all."

She drains and refills the soap water. We didn't notice Janie come in with Seung Hyun. 

"Phyllis you got a new helper."

We both turn around. I see Seung Hyun's eyes were red from crying. He really doesn't take punishment too well, yet he can ninja attack someone. I've said this before: He is such a dork, but he's my dork. No one messes with my dork. Phyllis shows him around the kitchen and gives him instructions just like she did with me a couple days ago. Phyllis gives him a hair net telling him there's nothing to be sad about and gives him a playful pinch on the arm.

"If you don't behave, Sprinkles will slap you."

I grasp his shirt as if I was going to let him have it and pretend to punch him before busting into laughs. 

"You'll love Phyllis bud. Don't feel bad about what you did. He had it coming."

I say goodbye to Phyllis and Seung Hyun before following Janie outside to the others.

"I see you and Phyllis have a good connection that's amazing. It's not like Seung Hyun to be violent so he isn't in as much trouble and he promises not to hit anyone again. That other camper is being sent home he's non stop harassing everyone. He won't bother you two anymore. Let's head to the trails for a quick nature hike then you can go swimming."

I lifted praise hands. I'm excited to finally be able to go swimming. 

As we were walking I began to think of what I might have said to the group in my sleep and what might have triggered me to sleep walk. Nothing came to me at first but I happened to remember that before I left, my dad, who has a mean streak and has a tendency to not keep his hands to himself and my mom had a bit of a fight the night before I left. I do not trust him whatsoever especially with my mom being pregnant. Though my mom is a strong woman she has stood up for herself before that little part of me still worries. I've promised her I'd help with the baby when she's born. That's the major reason why I didn't want to be here. 

I feel lonely all of a sudden and thinking about my father made me mad it nearly brought tears in my eyes. It's going to poke at me until I know that she and my baby sis is doing okay. 

"Janie you know what you said earlier? That I can tell you anything and if I need something to let you know?"

We both stop. She nods motioning me to sit on a log beside the trail. 

"What's up?"

I let out a deep sigh pushing my blond hair back. I look at her with tears are burning my eyes. Growing irritated at my obnoxious angry tear habit. 

"I do have something to tell you..."