Quiet Time

Around the Campfire

"Kwon Ji Yong?"

I look up to see a woman standing about 6 feet tall, she's very athletically built, she has her brown hair tied in a french braid, and rocking a nice pair of Levi jeans, and a BTS fan shirt. I look at her badge hanging off a Gudetama lanyard: Luna.

"Hey there I'm Luna, I'm the assistant director of this fun place. Janie sent me to help you find your squad."

Well I wouldn't necessarily call them a squad... More like a bunch of kids being forced to work together and make macaroni sculptures. 

Luna smiles at me and motions me to follow her. I walk behind her trying my hardest trying to distract myself from looking at her. I felt a pat on my back she is now walking nearly the same speed beside me. Soon enough we found my "squad" at the soccer field. 

They are with team Purple practicing for the group game tonight. I honestly have no idea why they would hold a darn "group game" if they want us to be nice and work together.

From what I've seen and heard, at times soccer get's heated and intense for competition. At college school games I've seen my relatives play at sometimes they curse and physically attack each other. 

On the side note you have to be motivated and athletic. I'm neither. My only exercise is getting out of bed or lifting chopsticks to eat food. Talk about exhausting. I'm happy I'll be in a sauna temperature kitchen washing dishes when the game starts.

Luna points to the 12 campers in tie dye and purple shirts running around on the field. They look like a pack of dogs tripping over each other running back and forth trying to catch a ball. Gabe sees me and does this weird girlish jog coming over to us. 

I hope I will never see him do that again...

"Hey Ji Yong and Luna!"

Luna gives Gabe a happy wave with both of her hands along with a hug. Luna is acting like she saw a BTS member in the elevator or something. She barely contained her excitement. I wouldn't even give an ounce of happiness seeing this clown again.

"Ji Yong, go ahead and get your shirt on. Join the team."

I shook my head.

"Sorry clowny I don't do soccer."

Gabe frowned. I raise an eyebrow. He then pulls paper, pencils, and markers out of his bag before turning me around pointing to a picnic table under a tree.

"Go draw for a while then. It'll be quiet hour soon anyway."

I let out a silent sigh and roll my eyes. Draw...? How old do you think I am? 4? Honestly I'm too bored and a bit exhausted to really argue with this guy. I grab the pencils markers and paper walking to the picnic table. 

For a solid 5 minutes I stare at a blank page thinking of what spectacular Picasso masterpiece that will be poured from my brain. I ended up drawing a stick figure splattered on the ground after it was hit by a bird. 

My best work yet. 

I sigh in progress of thinking of what to draw next. I turn my head seeing team Red, six little kindergartners, standing in a circle in a grass patch. They are listening to their counselor talking about caring for one another. They hold hands and sing their camp song loud and proud. It had to be the cutest song ever

"Camp Oakwood is number one! Follow these rules to make your day very fun! One always show off your smile! Two show all respect! Three be courteous that's what we expect! Four be nice to planet earth! Five always share! Six be safe and always show care! Camp Oakwood is number one! Camp Oakwood is my second home!"

To finish they clap then line up to their counselor to pet what looks like a service dog. Seeing the dog made me remember who their counselor is. She graduated from my school last year, I think her name is Bella, she suffers from PTSD, she had a abusive childhood and she got the service dog when she was a freshmen. A fawn pug named Mack. I had the biggest crush on her when she was in school. I was so depressed when she graduated. In full honesty I admit  that I still do have a burning crush for this girl. I wish that Bella knew how I felt. 

"Ji Yong! Time for quiet hour!"

I snap out of my daze with an eye roll. Thanks a lot Gabe, you damn fog horn. 

At least that I get to have one last look at her she's showing her campers a trick with Mack. She is saying paws, Mack stands on his back paws making a waving gesture with his front paws. He was rewarded with a piece of cookie and applause by six giggling campers. I follow big mouth and the circus back to the cabin. We all sit in our own beds.

"Okay campers this is quiet hour. You are allowed to read, write, draw, or sleep. You cannot talk to each other during this time."

Some of the guys pull out books or notebooks. The bunk dork whipped out his sketchbook to draw. I lay in my bed staring at the boards supporting the mattress above me. I wondered how funny it would be to add ejector springs to the boards so he would go flying through the roof boards and into the treetops when he lays down? 

Funny as hell.

I yawn. I must be more tired then I thought. Eh, I guess that serves me right from being up until 2 AM pouring slime in dorky's hair. I guess I'll close my eyes for a minute... 

I opened my eyes smelling Kimchi and fried rice. I noticed that I am back home from that hell hole camp. I am so happy to be back in my own warm bed. My mom walks in my room.

"Hi dear how did you sleep?"

I smile nodding saying I slept good. I told her how happy I was to be back home and how I never want to go back to that damn camp. She says she is happy to have me back home and she misses me a lot. She sits a bowl of fried rice in my lap telling me she had tried a new recipe she wanted me to try it and to tell her how it came out. 

It was really delicious. I missed her home cooking so bad. I got tired of the camp's greasy food for a solid two months. She grasps my hands. 

"Ji Yong I have to tell you something."

I look at her with a bit of concern. I see tears starting to well up in her eyes. She took a tissue from my bedside table wiping her eyes.

"While you were at camp I had made a final decision to divorce your father. He had hurt me. I did not want to tell you but you must know sooner or later."

She proceeds to wipe her face revealing tons of bruises and cuts. It looks like she had gotten beat up. She continues to cry.

"I was protecting you. He's in jail now."

I start to tear up myself. How could he do this? She got hit for me? I hug her tightly.

"Mom. I'm sorry."

She stops crying standing up to open my closet. 

"However son I did get married to someone else. He is a lot nicer. Say hello to your step dad."

She opens the door and out comes GABE. I nearly passed out from shock.

"Hey buddy! I mean SON." 

He smiles big hugging me tight. I wiggled out of his grip. 

"No! No NO NO NO! Mom! HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING AGAIN! Stay off online dating!"

She comes closer to me telling me that everything is okay and it will work out. Like hell it will! 

"Mom! You can't marry him! MOM!"

Gabe puts a father and son shirt on me telling me tat I will train to be a counselor in the quote "Happiest place around". 

"Get the hell away from me! You're both freaks!" 

I booked toward my house door but unfortunately it was boarded shut. I turn around in sheer panic. 

"Ji Yong stop acting like your father!"

 

I jolt awake letting out a scared gasp. For a moment I felt like I couldn't breathe or move. I slowly sat up taking sharp breaths wiping sweat drops off my head with my hands. I yelped when I saw Gabe and 10 pairs of eyes staring at me with concern. Hong Ki handed me a tissue. 

"Take a picture it'll last longer..."

Gabe touched my shoulder, I sharply yanked away getting out of my bed fairly quickly. 

"Stay away from my mom Fog Horn!"

I sprint outside. I can feel their eyes follow me. They followed me outside asking each other questions: 

"What's wrong with him?"

"Is he sick?"

"Why is he so terrified?"

I happened to see Janie come down the trail. Yes, that's just the person I wanted to see. The jail warden.

"Ji Yong it's time for lunch. I let Phyllis know that you'll be helping her afterward."

I roll my eyes. I wish this dumb punishment would be all over with. At least I'll be inside while the others are busy running like a headless chicken after a ball. We follow Janie to the cafeteria. For lunch, they are serving: Pepperoni Pizza, salad, and garlic bread. 

I stand in line looking at the food that I usually like, but for some unknown reason it's making me nauseous. To avoid getting lectures on skipping meals and how unhealthy it is I grabbed a slice of pizza and a small amount of salad drenching both in ranch dressing. 

I started to eat when I heard someone say my name. It was the dork that I have been trying to avoid. 

"Are you okay? You were crying in your sleep and thrashing earlier."

I stared him daggers that immediately silenced him. I broke my plastic fork.

"Look. I DO NOT LIKE YOU. Are you ever going to get the hint you middle class fungus? Stop talking to me or I'll throw you in the trash bin."

He immediately moves over to Hong Ki and told him what I had said. Hong Ki gave me a dirty look and shook his head. Like I'm afraid of a kid who has his nose in books about made up Japanese characters with unrealistic powers. Reality check Hong Ki. He gets up, walking toward Janie, who was eating with the other counselors. 

Oh you little snitch.

I ran over to him yanking him back by his shirt. Janie snaps her fingers telling me to let go. 

"That's two days now young man."

I let Hong Ki go and walk out of the cafeteria. I sit in a bench beside the building. My worst habit has to be the tears that wells up in my eyes whenever I am extremely mad. It makes me look so weak. Wiping tears away I can still hear my mom's voice saying: Stop acting like your father. I feel like I'm going insane. I've only been here a day and I already want to leave. I have to do something before I break.