Because of Me

Around the Campfire

I awake to the sound of Gabe clapping his hands and talking as if he's in the army.

"Come on gents! Up! Up! We got breakfast at 08 hundred hours! You've got exactly three minutes to get your butts out of these bunks and dressed! Anyone who's late is going to drop and give me 15!"

I sit up rubbing my eyes. The others are trying to wake up and process what time during the night that Gabe had lost his mind. I sleepily get out of my bunk resisting a strong urge to slap him more stupid than he already is.

"Gabe... stop doing this..."

He nudges my shoulder like I had just about pulled his chain. He gives me a rough shove.

"For being a wise guy Mr. Kwon you can be the first to give me 15! If you use your knees you start over!"

He's lost his marbles...

When he notices that none of us are really amused he gives up the act laughing.

"Ahhh I'm just kidding, but seriously breakfast is in 15 minutes we really need to give it some gas."

We all try to hurry to get dressed, he did not tell us that we over slept by 15 minutes. It may not seem like a big deal but when you have to stick to a strict schedule like ours, it's like you missed half the day.

We got dressed and met outside the cabin, some of us still drowsy. Poor Hong Ki looks like he just rolled out of bed, his hair a mess, and sloppily dressed. He sits at the bench with his eyes closed. Gabe swooped in on the opportunity while it was still there.... by that I mean he picks Hong Ki up over his shoulder and spins in a circle about 30 times. Hong Ki's face turns Shrek green from the spinning.

He sets him quickly. Hong Ki stumbles trying to stabilize himself.

"Dear God Gabe..."

Gabe laughs.

"You're awake now aren't you?"

Hong Ki shakes his head, very dizzy. We all go to the cafeteria just in time for breakfast to begin. 

"Hey look who finally crawled out of bed!" Janie greets with a smile. 

While we were munching down pancakes, Janie goes to the front of the room clapping her hands to stop the chatter and to get our attention. 

"Okay campers! I'm going to announce an activity! We have a big group activity at the last week This will take some time please take your time on it. It's a bit of an essay and you need to answer the following question in 200 words or less: What is your dream job? It's a lot to think about and one by one and only if you want to you'll read it out loud at the last morning meeting."

I nod my head. Of course they have to make it feel like we're in school but I think a small essay won't hurt. It's an interesting topic anyway. I think I know what to write about but I'd rather wait for a few days to think about it so I can get a accurate answer.

Janie lets us finish eating. We already started talking about the topic.

"I want to be a song and book writer." starts Hong Ki.

"I want to be an entrepreneur." adds Seungri.

"I want to be a actor." chimes Seunghyun.

They look at me for my answer. I only shrug.

"I'm not sure to be honest guys."

They groan.

"Come on Ji! It's a simple question." Gabe whines.

I shrug again and continue to eat. After breakfast Gabe announces the schedule for today.

"Okay Gents. Since we're a bit behind we'll go straight to our nature hike, by then it's going to be hot as heck's front porch outside so we'll go swimming, we'll eat lunch, then it's our go kart race, we'll start a craft that'll finish out the next two weeks, then it's dinner and a movie night."

We all follow him to the nature trail. Halfway through we hear a weird chitter noise what we think is coming from the trees. We look up seeing what the source of the sound is. After a moment Gabe looks away quickly.

"Dear God."

We look in the direction he was looking in and what do you know there are a couple of squirrels mating. We bust out into laughter.

"Get a room!" I yell out toward the mating animals. 

Gabe tried to move us along but we were too fascinated with the squirrels getting busy.

"Get it!" Seungri shouts. 

We all laugh harder. Gabe shakes his head.

"I think we're getting too much into nature gents. Let's keep going."

We finally obey but keep making jokes over what we saw. Gabe couldn't help but laugh at our immature act. Gabe shows us different plants and berries. He finishes the nature hike and goes to the cabin so we can get into our swim wear. We get to the lake, thankfully it wasn't too crowded. Team Teal is in the intermediate section playing with a beach ball while Team Red is in the shallow section and playing in the sand. Bella is standing behind the buoys of the intermediate section keeping a close eye on her campers. Mack is in a bright yellow life jacket bobbing in the water. 

Gabe was right it's hot as heck out here. We teamed with our swim buddy and one by one got in the lake to swim. I walk in the water to greet Bella. Mack whined to alert her that I was approaching. 

"Hi Ji Yong!" She greets happily. 

I smile and wave. She tells me to follow her, and I look back at Seung Hyun.

"Hey buddy can you play with the kids for a second so we're nearby? Bella wants to talk for a second."

He hesitated for a second then agreed when one of her campers insisted that he sat in the shallow end with her and help her make a epic castle that'll keep the sea monster away. We sit in the sand with our feet touching the waves.

"I can't wait for our date tonight. I got something pretty cool to show you. It's actually a surprise."

I nod. 

"I bet. I can't wait to see it."

She nods.

"Mhmm. It's got colorful lights , snacks, and-"

I lightly press my finger on her lips. I shush her.

"Surprise me Bella don't spoil your pretty cool surprise."

She giggles.

"Right."

We spent a few minutes talking when one of her campers came up to her saying that she needs to go to the bathroom. She stands wiping the sand off her legs and grasp the campers hand before announcing to her campers to line up. When you're little like them if one person has to go you go as a team. She turns to me before she left with Mack.

"See you tonight Ji!"

We all pile into the cafeteria for lunch. Again, strangely, I only see Phyllis's husband but no Phyllis. I got to his section of the line after he splattered sloppy Joe sauce on a hamburger bun that is awaiting on my plate, I give him a look of concern. 

"Excuse me, but is Phyllis sick? I haven't seen her in a while."

He gives me a look like I had asked him to cut his arm off. He rolls his eyes at me.

"Look kid. Phyllis needs to rest, she's old, and doesn't have time to deal with your non sense. Now go sit down and eat the slop they make us serve you kids."

Right there part of me wanted to say something that'll get me sent home but I had resistance. I sigh deeply and walk to the table. Seung Hyun pats my back.

"Hey don't worry about him Ji, he's a jerk. I'm sure Phyllis is okay."

Janie decided to play modern K-Pop while we ate our food. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"I heard Sprinkles is looking for me."

I hear a familiar giggle. I turn around and immediately jumped to a standing position and hugged Phyllis tightly.

"Phyllis!" I greet happily.

She returns the affection and smiles big.

"Sprinkles I hear of a talent show coming up soon and you are going to be in it. Is it okay with you if I come to see your performance?"

I nod without hesitation smiling as big as I can. I would be more than happy if she came to hear my song. She claps.

"Great! I can't wait! I wouldn't miss this talent show for the world! Anyway you finish eating and if you want you can help me do some dishes."

"I'll be more than happy to help you."

When she leaves I sit back down to finish eating. Gabe and the others smile at me.

"It looks like Phyllis took a liking to you Ji." Gabe says as he finishes eating his sloppy joe. 

I nod.

"She's reminds me of my Gram. She's been so sweet to me. I love her so much like a Gram."

We talked of different topics and made a few jokes about the BTS song that was playing when everyone started piling out of the cafeteria. Gabe and the others helps me carry the dishes in the back before leaving. He looks behind him.

"Ji after you're done just meet us at the track where our go karts are. The race isn't going to start for an hour."

I go to the sink where Phyllis is standing and washing pans. I give her an embrace.

"Hi Gram."

She pats my arm.

"Hello again Sprinkles. Go ahead and start on the plates and cups."

Janie pokes her head in from the double doors.

"Hi Phyllis I'm going to sweep out here. Just yell if you need me."

 

I had finished the plates when Phyllis finished the pans and pots. While we were cleaning I made jokes to Phyllis that made her laugh non stop. There is time when her face turned red and she needed a moment to catch her breath. She stated a few times I should be a comedian. When I shut off the water I can hear her breathing pretty deep and heavily.

"Are you okay Phyllis?"

She nods.

"I'm... Fine... Just a little... winded." 

She starts to walk to a chair to sit when she lets out a yelp and holds onto her chest with one hand. My eyes widened. 

"Phyllis? What's wrong??"

Almost instantly she lets out a painful groan and collapses onto the floor. I yelp and try to help her up.

"Phyllis!"

She looks at me for a moment before falling unconscious. I get up running out into the dining room.

"Janie! Help! Phyllis fell!"

Janie comes rushing in and tries to help Phyllis up and trying to get her to open her eyes. She pulls out her cell phone quickly dialing for an ambulance. Tears flood my eyes as I stood frozen unknown of what to do.

Janie radioed Gabe to come and walk me back to the cabin. The next thing I know I am standing outside the cafeteria door I can see paramedics run in and out of the cafeteria. One of them brings in a defibrillator and a stretcher. Gabe rushes to me.

"Ji Yong what happened?"

I shrug, tears welling up in my eyes.

"I have no idea Gabe all I know is that she collapsed."

From the corner of my eye I see her husband standing by the tree of their cabin next door watching the whole thing. He doesn't seem to really care that his wife is being taken to the hospital. In fact from my distance it looks like he was SMILING. 

I overheard one of the paramedics mention something to the awaiting dispatch about a heart attack. SHE HAD A HEART ATTACK??!! It must be from me making her laugh so hard! 

"No..." I say under my breath. 

Seung Hyun pats my back telling me it'll be alright. My eyes flood with non stop flow of tears. This is all my fault... 

By now a crowd of staff and older campers surrounded to check on the situation. I am in a full blown bawl which only worsened when they started to bring Phyllis out on the stretcher.

"PHYLLIS!"

I yell as Janie and Gabe held me back. I struggle trying to rush to the awaiting ambulance. I get stares of concern and worry from the campers and staff around me. I cry when the paramedics bring her outside on a stretcher. I cry harder, knowing that she's in this situation... because of me...