Sprinkles

Around the Campfire

I didn't get to sleep until about 2AM and I somehow woke up before anyone else. I check the time on my watch. 5:55 AM. I stood up to stretch and took a quick peek at the aftermath of my prank. He's still sleeping in the same position as he did a few hours ago. The slime had hardened in his hair. 

It's gonna be a pain to get that out. 

I heard the sound of buzzing. Gabe awoke and shut off his alarm. He sits up in his bunk. 

"Good Morning guys let's get our things ready for showers. Everyone needs to wear their decorated shirts and wristbands. After showers we will be getting ready for our morning announcements in the Main Hall before breakfast. Wear comfortable shoes today we're going swimming and playing soccer."

It's 6 AM and he's already giving commands... I don't know what I dislike more: the bunk dork or Gabe giving out commands before the sun is risen. 

He stands looking around the cabin to make sure everyone is awake. Seung hyun wakes up and tries to sit up. 

"Hey.. I'm stuck." 

He pulls at the rope that's around his wrists. He wiggles trying to loosen himself.

"Gabe! I'm stuck to my bed!" 

The yelps caught everyone's attention. Hong Ki and Youngbae drop their duffel bags and try to help Seung Hyun. Gabe managed to get his wrists loose he looked confused and surprised at the dried slime crusting in his hair.

"Seung Hyun? What happened? Did you get sick?"

Gabe, Youngbae, and Hong Ki try all attempts to painlessly get his hair loose from the slime nest on his pillow but failed. Seung Hyun was in near tears. Gabe pats him on the shoulder.

"Don't get upset buddy we'll get you taken care of." 

He turns to Hong Ki.

"Get the scissors out of my bag."

"SCISSORS?!" 

Gabe shushes him and gently clipped away at his hair trying to get only the stuck ends off going for to remove as little hair as possible. After a minute they managed to get his hair loose off the slime pile. Youngbae motioned the now crying Seung Hyun out of his bed and into the bathroom to help him rinse his hair in the sink and comb the slime out. Watching all this happen it oddly makes me feel satisfied. I really hope that someone will send me home for this.

Gabe takes a moment to study what Seung Hyun was stuck to, then figuring out it was slime. He gave me a furious look.

"You. Me. Outside. NOW."

The others watch us go outside. He shows me the slime pillow.

"What's this?"

I shrug.

"Snot?"

"NO. This is slime that the other team made yesterday. Why did you do this?"

I smile holding back a laugh. 

"If you knew what it was then why did you ask me?"

Gabe roughly tosses the pillow back in the cabin and crosses his arms. 

"I am quite confused on why you are so amused by this because I am not amused in any way. You need to straighten up and quit being mean."

I laugh which makes him more mad. I don't know why but he's just like the principal I cannot take either of them seriously. 

"Okay Ji Yong I do not see the reason to keep trying to get through to you. Which is why you leave me no choice but to bring you to the camp director. She'll know what to do with you." 

He goes inside the cabin I follow behind him. 

"Never mind the showers guys. We don't have time right now we'll take one later on at night. Just get dressed."

After getting dressed we walk out side and follow Gabe on the trails. Instead of turning left to the main hall we turned right to go up a hill. A very steep hill. I don't think any one of us had a bit of strength after walking up the hill. We felt muscles we didn't know we had. 

"That was quite the work out wasn't it guys?"

We all nod panting trying to catch our breath. After a few minutes we continued on walking. Not too long we see a giant log cabin that was about 15 times bigger than three of the basic cabins put together. Up a flight of torturous 37 steps we stand behind Gabe as he knocks on a oak door. A tall young brunette answered the door. She gave us a smile.

"Hi campers!"

We wave. Gabe whispers to her and she allows us in. The inside looked more like the inside of a basic family house than an office. She instructs everyone except me and Gabe to sit on the couch. 

"Campers, this is the camp director and my niece, Janie. We're gonna have a talk in the kitchen. I want you guys to sit there and wait for us. We'll be a moment. Feel free to talk and have a water bottle off the counter."

Gabe and I followed Janie to the kitchen. We sit at the small rounded table. 

"Okay what's going on?"

I shrug.

"Honestly don't know. You play a silly harmless prank and your bozo uncle here gets all uppity."

Gabe points at me.

"That. That's the issue. He's harassing Choi Seung Hyun and disrespecting me. He somehow poured slime in the kid's hair and tied him down. He still has yet to tell me how he managed to do that. I mean, for starters it's just mean and secondly what if there was an emergency we needed to leave that cabin? Poor Seung Hyun would not stand a chance."

I smirk thinking about him freaking out earlier. Funny stuff. Janie noticed my smirking and shook her head. 

"Ji Yong? Why did you do that?"

I shrug again.

"Because it's funny. By the way that slime glue is excellent what did they use? Elmers?"

She ignored my question and turned back to Gabe.

"Did you think of any punishments?"

"No each time I talk to him he doesn't take me seriously. I don't know what to do Janie."

She thought for a moment then stood.

"I got it. Ji Yong since this is your first punishment, for the remainder of the day you will stay for two hours after each meal to wash dishes, clean tables, sweep and mop floors. So that's at 9 to 11 pm, 2 to 4 pm, and 7 to 9 PM. You are allowed extra time to do your night routine and an extra nap hour. If you continue, your punishment will be more severe. If I have to I will make you stay in a separate cabin with Seung Hyun. Understood?"

"Wait What? A separate cabin? No!"

Janie shook her head.

"I'm sorry but you do the crime you do the time. Simple as that."

"UGH! THIS IS DUMB!"

Gabe tells me to lower my voice. Janie snaps her fingers at me.

"The decision is final."

I leave the kitchen grumbling. Gabe thanks Janie and follows. The others tell Janie goodbye before following us out. 

"Okay guys go straight to the cafeteria to the right."

I stomp walked behind Seung Hyun. I am beyond mad. Why can't they just send me home? That's really all I want. I sigh angrily. It turns out walking down the steep hill wasn't as easy as you would think. It made me want to tie the dork, Janie, and Gabe back to back, stuff them in a metal trash can and kick it down the hill. 

We made it to the cafeteria within a few minutes, and I have no idea why but they decided to change things up. They let the older kids like us go first this time. No complaining. For breakfast they served pancakes, french toast, home fries, bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs. I went for the pancakes and bacon. I look over and see the dork and Hong Ki talking and laughing. 

Oh I see how it is Hong Ki you say squat to me but with him you are rambling on and on?? Thanks a lot you damn two face troll. I hope that cotton candy cloud dissolves and your milkshake is melted. Jerk. 

"I really like Miyuki she is so cool! I am in love with her hair! So blond and long!"

"I like Taro and his invincible wind powers! He can speak 4 languages: Korean, English, Japanese, and Thai! That's an amazing talent!"

Gag. To me it sounds like something a five year old Japanese kid dreamed up. It doesn't add up to me whatsoever. Ignoring the rambling anime fanboys I continue to eat. By 9:45 we were the only table left in the whole room. We stacked the dishes. Gabe claps his hands. 

I swear to God Gabe...

"Campers! Attention to me! We're going back to the cabin to get changed for a practice game of soccer."

I stood behind as the others follow Gabe outside. I'm stuck here for two hours. A tall elderly woman wearing a hairnet came out from the double doors.

"Janie said I have a little helper I am thinking it must be you. I'm Phyllis. What's your name young one?"

....Where is a cop when you need one? I'm being held here against my will. I swear I think my eye lid twitched. 

"I'm Ji Yong..."

She smiles placing a hair net over my freshly combed brown hair. If that isn't enough to make me faint I don't know what the hell will.

"I'll show you where the fun is."

I am starting to think her idea of fun is watching Wheel of Fortune in a Lay-Z boy recliner and sipping prune juice. I slowly followed her to a kitchen that had to be about 100 degrees. The large metal double sided sink is filled nearly overflowing with dirty plates, a counter top had more ketchup and egg covered serving plates, and the dishwasher was filled with various silverware and bowls. 

I will never in my life ever complain about doing the dishes at home again. 

"Okay Young one I will have you start over there with the plates. Do one at a time and use only the purple soap. Do not use the blue that is for different glass and metal. Wear the yellow gloves so you don't burn yourself. Okay sprinkles?"

I agreed but got dumbfounded when she said "Sprinkles".

"Pardon?"

"I called you Sprinkles. Do you not like that? It fits you as your colorful dotted sweater. Ice cream sprinkles."

She points to the colored mini dots on my DC hoodie. She smiles as she starts washing the sharp utensils in a separate sink. When the dishes were done in 56 minutes and 27 seconds I turned to Phyllis wiping the sweat off my forehead.

"Dishes are done." 

She claps her hands. 

"My goodness what a lovely job you did. You work quick too. Good job."

I bow giving her a small smile. She handed me a bamboo broom and asks me to sweep the floor in the dining room and she will put the chairs up to prepare mopping. We met in the middle of the room beside Green Team's table. 

"So tell me more about yourself. What brought you here?"

I crinkle my eyes a bit and try not to laugh remembering the principal. I clear my throat.

"I got in trouble too many times at school. It was either this place or juvenile detention."

Phyllis tsked at me shaking her head. She told me to pull the chair that I put up back down. She copies me and sits across from me.

"I understand I just met you. I don't know where you are coming from young one but you need to stop this misbehaving."

I laugh, she looked at me confused and a little angry. She grasps my hand grabbing my attention.

"I am very serious. Don't think I am fooling you. I have a son that is now serving time in state jail for hate crimes. When he was your age he picked on everyone weaker than him. I did not raise him like that, his friends taught him all that hate. One day he did a crime that nearly killed someone because he didn't like their living condition. He will not be getting out until he is 71 and today he is 34."

My eyes grew. For once I actually felt sympathy.

"I am not trying to scare you but you are a kid and they don't have kind camps like this. For being mean they can actually put you in jail for a long time. I don't want you in jail. Okay?"

I nodded. 

"Yes ma'am." 

She returns me with a smile and goes into the kitchen returning with two king size ice cream cones. 

"Here Sprinkles you deserve his for all your hard work this morning."  

I smile back. 

"Thank you."

She pats my shoulder. We look at the time. It's almost unbelievable that time went by so fast. The two hours were done. 

"Alright I'm going to call Janie and say that you are finished for now and she will send someone to walk you to the soccer field. It was meeting you Sprinkles."

I sit outside on the patio chair eating my ice cream while waiting for someone to me. I don't know why but I felt somewhat different after leaving. Phyllis really reminded me of someone I used to know and love dearly. 

I took a black sharpie out of my pocket and took my tye die shirt out of my duffel. I found an epty space on the front. I drew a ice cream cone and inside the swirl dessert and I wrote in big bold letters along with lines shining around it:

SPRINKLES

 

 

w and I'll update again real soon!)