High Hopes Part 1

Around the Campfire

The time is 8:30pm, we are walking into our cabin, well Hong Ki is limping. Gabe turns on the light and we all start getting ready for bed. Hong Ki could barely move his back end. Daesung frowns.

"I said I was sorry Hong Ki..."

Gabe, trying not to laugh, helps Hong Ki up into his bunk.

"Okay campers what happened to poor Hong Ki is in the past. He's going to be a bit sore for a while but he will be alright. Lets drop it."

What had happened is that Luna has given us a crafty project: To make rain sticks with small thin hollow wooden tubes and tooth picks. We were just about finished with our craft when Hong Ki suddenly had to run to the bathroom. Daesung set his rain stick down on the chair to help Youngbae with his rain stick. Hong Ki came back and not looking before he sat, he sits on Daesung's rain stick. He screamed like a school girl. I felt bad, it had to hurt, and I did feel bad for Kendra in the nurse's cabin who had to remove the tooth picks from the unspeakable place.

I made it worse by laughing so hard that I cried. I didn't stop laughing until a minute ago. I don't think Hong Ki wants to be my friend anymore. 

Gabe says good night to us and shuts off the light. Tomorrow we'll be driving our go karts and make another attempt at a craft project. I hope it doesn't involve tooth picks... 

I wake up, realizing that I am curled up on the couch in my living room. I do not remember how I got here or why I was asleep on the couch... I sit up seeing Mary Kate in her swing kicking her little feet and smiling. My heart melts seeing her. I am not sorry that I decide to stay with Mom and this little nugget. I am one proud big brother.

I pick her up holding her in my arm giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi sissy. Let's go find Mom."

I go in the kitchen, her bedroom, my bedroom, bathroom, basement, laundry room, and patio. She was not anywhere. I start to grow concerned when I heard the front door open. I see her come in carrying a bag of groceries. She smiles at us.

"Hi Kids."

She sets the groceries down on the table and takes Mary Kate from my arms to feed her. 

"Go tell your father that I need his help with dinner. He's in the garage."

I freeze. My father... Please don't tell me she decided to stay with him... Again. I go to the garage to see Gabe working on something with wood. He turns around smiling big.

"BUDDY!"

I am in complete shock. He's my step father? I am annoyed, happy, and in shock all at the same time. 

"Gabe? When did you..?"

"We got married a week ago buddy. Don't you remember? You were part of the wedding party. You invited your camp buddies and you ate a bunch of sugar and you all danced like maniac stripper wannabes on the dance floor."

I oddly do not remember such thing.. though it does sound fun. I point in the direction of the house.

"Mom said she needs your help..."

He leaves to tend to Mom's need. I look at the pictures hung up on the walls of the living room. The wedding picture of Mom and Gabe. They look so happy. Mom and Gabe holding Mary Kate, she's in a pink puffy dress and white stockings. My camp buddies and me in tuxes and me holding Mary Kate, then lastly all four of us: Mom, Gabe, Mary Kate, and me. Smiling... 

How much that it I cannot remember this wedding...

"WHERE IS HE?"

I hear the door burst open, in comes Dad, holding a pistol. He grabs my Mom by the shirt.

"WHERE IS HE?!"

Of course bad timing, Gabe comes in from outside, and Dad fires his pistol four times. Gabe falls to the floor completely lifeless. Mary Kate and Mom cries in terror. I could only stand still jaw dropped in shock at what I witnessed. He grabs my arms and drags me outside to his car. 

"Dad! You just killed Gabe! What the fu-"

My sentence was cut off when a strip of duct tape is slapped over my mouth and my hands were tied tightly behind me.

"Shhhh son. It's the two of us now... the running ability and split attitude of yours is going to come in handy. You remember how I raised you. You're no longer a mama's boy."

 

"DAD!"

I jolt up holding my arm outward. I pant hard. My shirt is drenched with sweat. I have literal tears streaming down my face. The light snaps on and I see the others sitting up in their beds staring at me with concern. Gabe gets out of his bunk.

"It's okay Ji Yong."

He instructs me to come down from my bunk. I'm so embarrassed to be crying like a baby especially when I'm suppose to be so tough. I'm a scared weakling. I do not understand why I am crying so much over a dream like that, but for some reason it scared the living daylights out of me. It felt too real. I am shaking so bad I accidentally lost my grip from the ladder of my bunk and fell back. 

"Ji Yong..."

Gabe stands to help me up. I cover my face to hide the tears.

"Come on lets go outside for a minute."

He walks me outside, before turning his head back to look at the others through the doorway.

"He's alright. Go back to sleep guys, we'll be back inside in a moment."

We sit on the log beside the empty fire pit. I've start to calm myself down and had managed to stop crying. He gives me a back pat.

"Are you okay now?"

I nod. My hands are still shaking, I wipe my wet eyes with my sleeve. This is seriously not like me to cry like this. I've had multiple bad dreams before but none like the one I just woken up from. He pats my shoulder.

"I know how it feels buddy."

I look at him kind of confused. He smiles at me.

"Yep. My dad wasn't there for me either. It's tough I know but everything will work itself out. It's a shame he's missing out on such a wonderful kid like you. Your mom is doing a great job raising you. You're a very pleasant young man."

I shook my head.

"My dad didn't want me to mellow out like I did. He wants me to be that tough mean person like him. My dad was always mean to my mom. I'm more than happy that they are getting a divorce, but I don't want my mom to be a lonely single mother."

I start tearing up again, Gabe thinks for a moment then pats my back again. 

"It'll be okay buddy. Lets go back in before the mosquitoes eat us alive. We'll talk later."

We go back inside the cabin. Everyone had fallen back asleep, I said goodnight to Gabe and climb back in my bunk. 

 

We got back up at 6AM. After getting our showers and dressed we all pile in the Main Hall. We sit in our row, some of us still very drowsy and wanting Quiet Hour to be right now. We see Luna step up to the front.

"Good Morning Campers. This Sunday night Talent Show at 5PM. I'm going to call out the chosen campers to participate in the Talent Show: Choi Seung Hyun, Kwon Ji Yong, Lee Hong Ki, Kang Daesung, Seungri, and Dong Youngbae from Team Tie Dye. Joseph Won, Vernon Lee, and Grant Ming from Team Purple. Kenneth from Team Blue. Charlene and Chae Lin, Martin Hwan, and Ruby Min from Team Green, and James from Team Yellow."

Cheers went all around for the lucky campers. I am so happy that we all can participate in the talent show. Luna claps her hands to cease the cheers.

"For breakfast we're having oatmeal and toast, for lunch today we're having tacos and salad and for dinner we're having burgers and fries. There is individual schedules today, so your counselors will give you more information. Happy Birthday to Team Tie Dye's counselor, Gabe, there will be birthday cake at lunch to celebrate. Have a good day."

Everyone stands to leave. All six of us snap our heads to look at Gabe.

"Dude you didn't tell us it's your birthday."

"Happy Birthday!"

"Happy Birthday you old coot!"

He motions us to quiet down.

"Gents I don't want to be reminded of my birthday. Let's just get ready for breakfast."

We all go to the cafeteria to get ready to eat breakfast. We all got our bowls of oatmeal and toast. Gabe pours us orange juice. 

"Okay campers for today after breakfast we're going to race our go karts, retry canoeing, and then go for a nature hike. After lunch it's quiet time and then we'll be doing crafts in the main hall. After our post dinner activity we'll have a bonfire outside our cabin."

We all nod seemingly happy for what we are scheduled for. Hong Ki announces to us he's planning on writing a anime fiction. It's about some guy named Shisuke meeting a girl named Haruka and slowly falling in love. I raise my hand.

"You should write that Shisuke gets bitten by a werewolf one night and Haruka gets bitten by a vampire the next night. They both meet and then bite each other breaking the curses and having werewolf vampire babies. They are all flesh hungry beasts and always hunt people."

Gabe and the others look at me horrified. 

"What?"

Gabe clears his throat setting his spoon down in his oatmeal bowl.

"Ji Yong, you're very colorful but don't become a children's book writer."

I shrug.

"Eh, don't worry."

After breakfast we go to the pavilions where Joe is waiting with our karts, they were ready to be tested. After receiving instructions Hong Ki got in the kart before starting it up. We clipped his seat belt in and off he went. Daesung in the opposite kart trailing behind him. Seung Hyun and I are in the pavilion cheering on Hong Ki like we were a couple high school cheerleaders. We even went as far as making a make shift pyramid and doing split jumps.

Everyone is looking at us like we were insane. Joe, on the other hand, is nearly falling off the table laughing at us. Gabe shakes his head.

"You two are crazy. I'm waiting for you two to start wearing short skirts and crop tops."

I do a hair flip, tipping my hat off and hold one leg out.

"Sorry Gabe my legs aren't shaved and not tanned. Maybe next season."

Joe fell and I managed, for the first time in almost a month, to actually make Gabe laugh. We see Daesung come back, but not Hong Ki. We turned around and realized that he was stuck he's in a hole. He is struggling to get out of the kart. The top of the car is starting to smoke. 

"HONG KI!"

Gabe sprints toward Hong Ki, with Joe following carrying a fire extinguisher. Gabe cuts Hong Ki's seat belt with a box cutter and lift him out. Gabe checks his body for injuries. 

"Are you okay?"

Hong Ki nods quickly, letting out scared whimpers and then bolts up the hill toward us. We all hug him thankful that he's okay. We can hear Gabe is yelling at Joe, there was no doubt that he was mad. 

"You said that it was safe! Nearly killing my camper isn't safe! They did not put that engine together: YOU DID! Fix this now!"

Janie slowly walks down the entrance hill looking at us then at the two grown men fighting at the bottom. It must be quite something to see. We look at her and wave smiling at her. She taps Gabe's shoulder.

"Is this a good example for your campers Gabriel?"

We let out a line of "ooooh's" at the fact that his full name was used. We see Janie making Gabe and Joe follow her as Luna comes up the hill with a big smile.

"Hi Guys, there's a small change. We're going to proceed to the nature hike. Lets go to the bathroom so there's no going behind trees halfway through the hike."

Awkwardly, no one had to go, except me. It's how it's been working for some reason. They decided to stay at the pavilions while I race down the hill, doing a walking potty dance, and go to the closest bathroom. I ped, relieving myself in a urinal. 

I thought that I was alone, and I had just finished, just then I heard the handicap stall door slam open. I jump, turning around. I see a tall kid with black hair and blue eyes. He is wearing a pure black shirt, blue jeans, and black Adidas. He has a tattoo of a skull on his right inner forearm. He walks toward me slowly, I immediately back up.

"Dude who the hell are you?"

He grabs me by my shirt lifting me off the floor by a few inches and pushes me against the wall. Two other kids come out of the other stalls and surround us. I try to wiggle myself free but fail. He presses me against the wall harder. 

"Come on wimp fight back."

He laughs hard.

"Look at this guys, Connor is right he's the biggest wimp in the world."

Connor?! Of course he's associated with them somehow. Even though he's not at the camp anymore it didn't stop his little army from going into fight mode. I try once more to free myself but still failed. I cough under his tight grip on my neck.

"Why are you doing this?!"

"Just because we like to torture wimps like you."

He suddenly jerks me foreword then hold my back tightly against his chest, still holding my neck in a tight grip. The other kids chant the word: MUD.

With an evil grin they carry a sand castle bucket filled with mud and drop the liquid dirt on my head. By instinct I shove him back roughly almost knocking him and his buddies down. They come back squirting me with water making the mud spread more. They laugh. 

Their laughter is absolutely painful...

"Look at this wimp. No wonder his father hates him."

"He don't deserve a dad!"

I kick back the three kids in pure anger. 

"MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!"

I managed to run out of the bathroom they threw rocks from the ground at me. Instead of going up the hill I ran and hid in a nearby wood shed. To my surprise I wasn't doing that annoying angry tear thing, but I am only resisting to physically attack them. After a moment, making sure the coast was clear, I run to the hill seeing Gabe had returned with Janie and Joe. 

"Ji Yong what happened to you?"

I am so mad my entire face is turning a shade of red. I swat away any hand that tries to clean off the drying mud off my clothes or hair. I look at Janie.

"I'm dead serious here Janie. You better live up to that promise you told me weeks ago. This is to the point where I have had enough. It's now or I go to juvenile jail for beating the snot out of three people."

Janie nods quickly telling me to follow her to talk more about what was wrong. I follow stomping my feet. I was ready to go back on my promise to her and do what I am so tempted to do. The only thought that is holding me back is talking to my Mom and Mary Kate through a glass window, wearing black and white stripes. 

We got to Janie's cabin within 4 minutes, she helps me clean up and she allows me a seat on her couch. She slowly hands me a stress ball that I had popped in my fist the first moment.

"Calm down Ji Yong and tell me what happened..."

A/N: That's it for now! Part 2 will be out soon!