Loser

Around the Campfire

When this kid told me that he was my "worst nightmare" I couldn't help but laugh. I laughed so hard that tears came to my eyes. Hong Ki, Seungri, Daesung, and Taeyang swam over to us to see what was going on.

"What's so funny?" Daesung asks.

I shake my head wiping my eyes.

"Oh.. Oh nothing except this dude is saying that he's going to be my worst nightmare."

Hong Ki laughs.

"Yeah right."

The camper is completely outraged. He yells at us saying that I was going to be sorry and I was going to pay for laughing at him blah blah blah. Seung Hyun and I get out of the lake to get a drink of water. I see Bella in her bikini swim suit walking Mack in the sand. She smiles when she sees me and rushes over.

"Hi Ji Yong. Hi Seung Hyun."

"Hi Bella."

She pulls on Mack's leach to get his away from a rolling beach ball. 

"You know the talent show auditions are tomorrow are you going to audition?"

"Yeah I got a song that I just about finished writing it's for my baby sis....."

I look down to see that my swim shorts had been pulled down and every part of my bottom half is exposed for everyone to see. Bella stands in shock about what she had just seen. My face turns beet red in humiliation. Bella just clears . 

"Oh my... this is a part of you that I've never seen... I'll talk to you later."

She walks away with Mack. I slowly pull up my shorts. I look at Seung Hyun, who is completely avoiding eye contact. He didn't say anything to me. I look behind me and see that camper laughing at me. Part of me wanted to punch him the mouth for embarrassing me like that and part of me wanted to dig a grave in the sand and lay in it. Nearly dying from humiliation I run down the trail behind the cafeteria. I sit in the corner of the building slumping down covering my face.

I see someone standing beside me, it's the kid who pantsed me. He shoves my arm.

"Stand up loser."

"Go away." 

He laughs and began to hit me in the sore stomach. I hunch over groaning. He gives me a kick.

"Is that all you got..? My unborn sister in my mother's womb kicks harder than you. You damn pansy."

He picks me off the ground in a yank and making me roll down a small bump in the ground. He hops on me and punches me in the lip. I punch him back before gaining control. I pin him down.

"You are not going to win this battle..."

"Oh yes I am.."

He kicks me off making me hit my head on a rock. I let out a loud howl in agony before charging at him. I knock him over by ramming into his knees and pin him again. He realizes he's stuck he yells at me. He had a burst of strength and over he went grasping both hands around my neck.

"Leave him alone!"

He looks over to see my team standing there with arms crossed, and dripping wet from the lake. They are giving this camper dirty looks. He only laughs. 

"Oh look at this. It's adorable."

He points to me. 

"You think that they're gonna take me down. They're a bunch of damn wimps."

He punches me in the jaw so hard it pops, and making me scream. I try to stand but he keeps pushing me down with his foot.

"Face it Ji Yong you're a damn wimp. A loser. Scum on earth."

Daesung steps forward.

"We are warning you one last time. Leave him alone."

Ignoring Daesung, He grabs the back of my neck and pulls me up. 

"You're nothing Ji Yong. Nothing."

Before I could fight back he slams my head down against the rock. I fell on my back unable to move.

"GET HIM!"

My team, at once, charged at him pinning him to the ground. I slowly turn my head watching my team beat him up. It's surprising they actually defended me. I can see Janie's and Luna's sneakers run by me. 

"Boys! Boys! That's enough!"

Everyone is arguing over one another and pointing fingers. I learn that the camper's name is Connor. 

I happened to remember that my dad's ignorant best friend has a son named Connor, who is just as bad as him. My suspicion is this is the same Connor. He never liked me and he would do whatever his father and my father instructed him to do. He's been to juvenile detention more than enough times for shoplifting and assault. I think his father sent him to camp so he can terrorize me. My father must have a lot to do with it. 

I see Gabe kneeling and looking at me with worry. 

"Ji Yong? Are you okay?"

He stands me up holding onto my arms. I couldn't keep my balance. My legs kept dipping under me.

"Come on buddy you're okay." 

I shake my head trying to keep my head up. Janie looks at us very angry. 

"I want every one of you to sit down at a table in the cafeteria. Now!" 

We all go inside. Janie follows. We sit at our usual table. Connor and Luna sitting on the end. She stands at the other end with her arms crossed.

"Why are we all of a sudden getting this fighting streak in us?! It seems like whenever there is a minor set back, instead of getting a staff member we resort to fighting! Camp Oakwood is about friendship and teamwork. I am seeing more punches being thrown than anything. I've had you campers here before except Ji Yong. You've never acted like this before. Why is it since Ji Yong came here there has been nothing but problems?"

Why the hell are you blaming it on me all of a sudden? Janie I thought we were buds. She shakes a head when none of us responded to her question. 

"Well I'm going to make the executive decision here. Kwon Ji Yong is being sent home. He won't participate in the talent show or the go kart race. This is the only way it's going to stop."

My jaw drops along with my heart. For once I didn't want to leave this place. I was starting to have fun and it took one jerk to ruin it all for me. I shake my head. Seung Hyun started to cry. My team all shook their heads.

"Janie... no don't make him leave."

Luna stands.

"Janie don't you think you're being a bit harsh?"

She crosses her arms at Luna shooting daggers at her with her eyes.

"Luna he's caused nothing but trouble. First it was Seung Hyun now they're all doing it. It's like he's leading them a bad example. I've had enough."

"WE WERE DEFENDING HIM!" Seung Hyun shouts out. He has his hands in fists.

"Seung Hyun you know better not to fight."

"He was getting beat up Janie. What were we going to do? Let that stupid moron pound on him while we run around looking for you or Gabe?" Hong Ki added. 

They all started arguing again back and forth with each other. Janie leaves in anger. I've had enough. I stand.

"No guys I'll go."

They all stop looking at me.

"Ji Yong no you can't go. Please stay."

I shake my head.

"No guys.. I'll go if Janie wants me out so bad. She's right it's been nothing but chaos since I stepped foot here. I don't want anymore trouble. This proves I can't trust anyone anyway. Thanks for giving me a fun time."

I turn to leave. Even though I'm blubbering like a baby on the inside I kept a neutral expression on the outside. We all filled out a incident report Everyone follows to the cabin. For the rest of the day we didn't do much except paint and play with some instruments. 

I guess tomorrow is my departure day. I get everyone's phone number so we can remain in contact. We decided to go to bed early to let this stressful situation go. I stare at the boards supporting Seung Hyun's bed. Poor Seung Hyun can't even take this he's so upset he's been doing nothing but pouting. I didn't want to leave but I guess it's for the best. I'm definitely going to miss everyone, even Gabe. I close my eyes.

I didn't know the sense of trying to be nice for the last few weeks when it just backfired. I guess I am just like my father. A worthless loser.

 

Luna's P.O.V

I found Janie's decision to be very unfair. Yes, Ji Yong fought another camper again, and the others started fighting but they were defending Ji Yong. I take a look through copies of the incident reports. They all have similar statements: CONNOR ATTACKED JI YONG, JI YONG FOUGHT BACK BUT GOT INJURED. NO STAFF MEMBER WAS AROUND NEARBY TO CEASE THE FIGHTING. WE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO PUT A STOP TO CONNOR'S ACTIONS. 

Ji Yong's Statement: I DID NOT START THE ARGUMENT, AFTER CONNOR HAD YANKED MY SHORTS DOWN WHILE I WAS TALKING TO A FEMALE STAFF MEMBER, I HAD RAN OFF IN EMBARRASSMENT. CONNOR FOLLOWED ME HECKLING ME THEN STARTED TO FIGHT ME. HE THREW THE FIRST PUNCH. MY TEAM WARNED CONNOR TWICE TO STOP BUT CONNOR IGNORED THEM. THEY FOUGHT IN MY DEFENSE WHEN MY HEAD GOT INJURED. THERE WAS NO STAFF MEMBERS AROUND TO STOP CONNOR'S HARASSING ACTIONS. 

 

 

I take a yellow highlighter and highlight the similar sentences in each statement. I walk to Janie's cabin knocking on the door. She answers.

"Hi Luna come in."

I walk in and immediately show her the statements. 

"Read these and tell me the difference."

She took a moment to read them all then shakes her head. 

"There is no difference."

I take the papers back and nod.

"Exactly. Ji Yong did not start that argument and you flipped out on him for nothing. They weren't fighting for the thrill of it. It's Connor who you should send home. Besides you got to admit that Ji has made an impact on us. He's like a puppy he's a troublemaker but like-able."

Janie sighs and then nods her head. She reread Ji Yong's statement. 

"He has changed since he arrived. I didn't think he'd ever straighten himself up but he did. Do me a favor and call Connor's parents. He'll leave tomorrow. Ji Yong stays."

We hear a knock and a bark at the front door. 

"Come in Bella."

She come in with Mack. She holds Mack in her arms. 

"Is there anyway I can talk to Ji Yong real quick?"

Janie radios Gabe to send Ji Yong down to the office. 

"Is there something wrong Bella?" 

She shakes her head.

"Nothing too serious he's had a tough day I wanted to talk to him about it. I'm just letting you know that the Connor kid knows Ji Yong and he is intentionally trying to get him in trouble."

I nod pointing to her. 

"See Janie?"

Janie sighs and shakes her head. 

"I owe him one heck of an apology."