Auditions and Phobias

Around the Campfire

We go to the pavilion walking to our kart in the corner. From the looks of the progress of the assembly... it's literally a couple boards with two wheels on one axle. A splintery ragged bicycle looking thing. 

"It's bad..." Seunghyun comments, rubbing the back of his neck. Hong Ki shakes his head agreeing. 

I cross my arms. 

"Guys, it only looks bad because it's not finished. Once it's all said and done it'll look great. All we really need is: two wheels, one more axle, brakes, and a seat."

Gabe walks around us, twirling his whistle. He freezes when he sees our two wheeled monstrosity.

"Guys... Major design flaw. If you race this you'll be leaving sparks behind you."

I face palm.

"For the second time, it's not finished we'll get this done. Don't worry."

Joe sets a few large tote boxes of parts for us to add onto our kart. I look through finding scrap leather, cushioning, and a couple wood slabs. I show Seunghyun and Hong Ki the pieces. I take out the measuring tape. Joe comes over to see if we need any assistance. 

"Okay boys who's going to be the proud driver?"

Seunghyun shyly backed out. I nervously clear my throat. 

"I'm a terrible driver. The cops don't like me on the road."

Joe looks at Hong Ki.

"Well bud it looks like you're the lucky chosen one."

I pat his shoulder.

"Our designated driver."

Hong Ki didn't know what to do except stand there in silence. Joe grabs Hong Ki from under the pits and measures his height. I grab the measuring tape and measure his waist and back end. Poor Hong Ki felt violated on all levels. We can hear Gabe yelling: GET MORE LUMBER FOR HIS BIG !

Joe sits Hong Ki on the bench. 

"Thank you for your cooperation Guinea Pig."

We got almost a two minute rant on how "unfair" we were treating him. When he was through with his rant, we attached the brake wrapping the scrap leather around the bottom. We finished the frame adding the floor board and measured out the seat board to fit Hong Ki. Gabe kept chiming in comments saying Hong Ki has an over sized posterior. We completed the kart by adding the rear bumper. Seunghyun made a license plate out of a scrap wood slab. 

Joe circles the kart looking at it making sure we got all the essentials and to make sure everything is tightened so nothing falls off the kart while it's moving. 

"Great job boys. I say she looks finished. All you have to do now is giver her a test drive down the hill and test the braking."

We tell Hong Ki to sit in the seat. Our measurements were perfect, he fits just right in the seat. We give the kart a huge push to send it rolling down the hill. Everything looked like it was going perfect until the wheel hit a bump. He flew like a bird through the air a few feet and landed upside down in a tree. A branch had caught the belt loop of his jeans. He starts frantically waving his arms. 

"HELP!"

Joe quickly grabs his latter and makes his way to the tree that the over sized canary wannabe was stuck in. He holds onto Joe's neck as he gets him loose from the branch then helps him down. Gabe rushes over dusting Hong Ki off. 

"Hong Ki, you aren't supposed to fly man."

I shook my head.

"Gabe did you not just see him go through the air? All he needs is a beak and feathers he would be an instant birdie."

Gabe ignores me and we go back to the pavilion, pulling the kart behind us. We look around to see what made bird brain go airborne. Of course, it slipped our minds that we forgot the steering wheel and seat belt. We left it up to go to attach a seat belt to the seat while we went to work on the steering wheel. Joe instucts Hong Ki to sit in the seat again. Before we did anything I clipped a bike helmet on his head.

"Here this is just in case you take flight again Tweeters."

On three we gave the kart a sharp shove and down the hill it went. It seems to be going good: Hong Ki can steer, stop, and avoid obstacles. We cheer for a successful run. Shortly Joe tells us that it was time for the nexyt activity and since both karts did phenomenal he will attach the engine and petals to them in time to practice for the race. 

We follow Gabe down the trails back to the cabin. We were a few feet away from our cabin, I see Connor messing around with a nest of caterpillars. The light bulb in my head and the gears began turning. Smiling deviously I stop. 

"Gabe I need to pee, can I go to the bathroom if I promise to come back?"

Gabe stops to think about that for a moment. I jiggle and bounce on my heels trying to make it look convincing that I really had to go. After a moment he nods. 

"Okay Ji, but make it quick. I know you campers get cranky without your naps."

I wait in the bathroom doorway giving them time to go to the cabin, when I was certain that they were inside I walk back out heading toward Connor. I happened to see a small wooded area right next to the bathroom and under a pile of leaves I see a grass snake. I pick it up with my hand examining it all around. 

"You are adorable... You're coming with me."

I walk in front of Connor, hiding my hand behind my back. He laughs heartily when he sees me. I give him a low key evil grin.

"Well hello."

"How's your last day loser?"

I mock his laughter making him mad almost instantly. He gives me a rough shove that doesn't phase me. 

"Oh Connor. Connor Connor Connor."

I start to circle him he has his fists raised ready for a fight. He looks like a pathetic ninja.

"I will miss you, I really really will. I do have a big favor to ask you man."

He tilts his head to the side growing confused. I smile again slowly showing the snake coiled in between my fingers. He instantly jumps back and squeaks. 

"G-GET THAT AWAY FROM ME!"

I grow closer he backs away more screaming like a girl. I couldn't help but bust out laughing. So much for being tough as nails Connor. I get even closer he starts swatting the air when he trips backwards over a tree root.

"I just want to ask you to take care of this pretty lady while I'm at home."

"I SWEAR TO GOD JI!"

I pout putting on a fake sympathetic expression to hide my thinking devious face.

"Awww what's the matter Connor? Sheila just wants to say hi. Are you afraid of snakes?"

Without warning I quickly drop the snake down the front of his jeans. He lets out a squeal so loud that it disturbed the surrounding cabins. He runs in a crazy circle screaming like a banshee and wiggling trying to get the snake out. I laugh for a solid 15 seconds. I grasp his shirt pulling him close. He looks at me in horror.

"That's for all your crap. Don't mess with me."

I shove him down and walk towards my cabin with a smile. I'm so satisfied, revenge is sooooo sweet.

 

After our quiet time we gathered at the Green Pavilion for lunch time. As announced earlier we were supposed to be having some ventriloquist performing while we ate. I personally have never been to a show like that but I do know that the dummies are usually very creepy looking. A year ago I've seen a horror movie about a ventriloquist. 

Yeah, that adds on the already eerie feeling. 

We line up to the serving lines for our food. I was hoping to see Phyllis's smiling face but to my disappointment it is some random guy, assuming one of her relatives, and her husband serving the food. I go up with Seung Hyun.

"Excuse me? Where's Phyllis?"

At first he didn't tell me but then answered my question with a sketchy:

"Phyllis isn't feeling well kid."

I didn't have time for questioning I was holding up the line. I got my food and soda. Seung Hyun taps my arm.

"Race ya."

He zooms by me to go to our table I smile and follow close behind. We both sit on the outside seat nearly tipping over where we see Hong Ki eating and clapping at our mini race performance. 

"That was fun, that was fun to watch."

We see the "special visitor" walk to the front and grab a microphone. She's a petite young woman about maybe Gabe's age, she has her long brown hair tied in a braid, her brown almond eyes shining with pride, she has silver braces, and wearing a camp shirt and jeans. 

"Good Afternoon Campers! I'm Harper! I would like to introduce you all to my friend, Clyde!"

She pulls this almost over sized wooden dummy dressed like he's a camper for here. I had an unnerving feeling that made me uneasy in my stomach and leaving my hands shaking. I can confirm that I have a new and unheard of fear of dummies. If one can kill you in a movie you can't trust any of them, as silly as that sounds. Seung Hyun and Hong Ki can see that I am looking anxious and pat my shoulders for comfort.

"So Clyde how are you today?"

The dummy moves it's eyes immediately sending shivers down my spine. Those eyes....

She smiles then frowns when the dummy gave her that 'are you kidding me?' face.

"YOU try laying in a crammed box for days and tell me how you feel when you finally see the light of day?!"

He turns his head from side to side making a faint cracking noise.

"I feel great!"

Wow... we're off to a terrible start. Harper sees that we weren't laughing and some of us are dozing off. She clears .

"Clyde, it seems we have a tough crowd. Lets loosen things up with one of your jokes."

The dummy looks around at us. I look away.

"Campers? What do you call a teeth-less bear?"

We look around at each other most of us regretting our life choices and the rest of us are plain bored and would rather eat in a humid cafeteria. Daesung lays his head on the table. 

"Wake me when this snore fest is over."

The dummy looks around at us before giving away the corny punchline.

"You call it a gummy bear!"

The only ones that laughed are the couple of staff members who are too oblivious to see that coming and the dummy laughed at his own stupid joke. The high pitch medium speed laugh to me sounds like it came from straight from my deepest darkest nightmare. 

Oh my God. I realized I'm turning into a wimp like Seung Hyun. It's contagious! 

The dummy continues to look around at us once more. I'm starting to get physically sick from the anxiety. It's coming to the point where I am starting to hide under my sweatshirt. The dummy lets out an impatient sounding sigh.

"You know Campers, just yesterday I heard a really funny joke about a boomerang... but I'm sure it'll come back to me eventually."

Again he lets out that cackle from hell. My entire body is shaky. Seung Hyun hugs my waist.

"Easy does it. It's just made of wood. It won't hurt you."

Harper clears for the next joke.

"Clyde you went to your sister's wedding last week how was that?"

"Oh it was great but it seems to be a very emotional wedding even the cake was in tiers!"

She caught a few more good laughs and a couple from our table. After a while she had everyone in stitches, except me, I was hiding under the table. The dummy leaned in groaning in pain. Harper looks concerned.

"What's the matter?"

The dummy shook it's head.

"Take me to the hospital I swallowed some Scrabble tiles earlier!"

She gasps.

"Oh no Clyde why'd you do that?"

"I don't know but the next poop can spell DISASTER!"

With one final laugh from everybody there was an applause and she and the dummy bows. I am more than happy that it's over. I come out from under my sweat shirt and help clean up. After cleaning we walk to the main hall. Everyone talks about how funny the act was. I syay silent as I don't want to talk about how much that dummy scared the daylight out of me. I hope to never see another ventriloquist act again. 

Auditions for the talent show began in a few minutes. Outside of the front doors campers were lined up ready to show off what they got for the show. We were inside putting the finishing touches on the banners we made. We all decided to go for the paint splatter feel and we painted the title in black sparkle paint: TALENT SHOW. Of course we wore 20% of the paint on our skin and clothes. There's no such thing as clean art.

Before we knew it the auditions were starting. Since we helped out today we were allowed to go first. I decided to let the others go ahead of me so I can get my guitar from the cabin and tune it, also to get a last second rehearsal. I saw that Hong Ki, Seung Hyun, Seungri, Taeyang, and Daesung had blew their performances out of the water. They were really impressive. It also made mine look like something I pulled from dirt. My name was called I step out onto the stage. I see Bella, Janie, and Luna sitting at the white folding judges table. 

Janie gives me a big smile. I smile back growing very confident in myself and my song. I'm going to rock this and pass it with flying colors.

"Hi Ji Yong what's the title of your song?"

"It's called Last Dance. I wrote it myself."

They write on their clipboards then look at me.

"Go ahead anytime you're ready."

I grab my guitar, strumming the intro ready to go when I suddenly see Connor in the corner of the room with one of his buddies. He gives me an evil grin and whispers to the the other camper. My brain instantly goes into panic mode making me repeat the intro strums multiple times. He looks and points at me and drags his thumb nail across his throat mouthing the words: YOU ARE DEAD.

My hands shake so hard I nearly drop my guitar and after strumming the same intro for the eighth time I clear my throat. Seung Hyun is looking at me with concern and shrugging as if he's asking me: What are you doing?!

I'm completely blowing this. I cleared my throat once more before singing nervously:

"M-Music keeps playing, give m-me a chance I am waiting for you. Please just o-once I p-promise you it won't b-be long..."

I stop before I can finish. I let out an irritated sigh. I sounded absolutely awful. I blew it. There's no reason to finish the song. 

"Dammit..."

The look that I got from Janie just about said that I failed. 

"Thanks Ji Yong..."

I angrily toss my guitar off stage and storm off outside. My one and only chance to sing the song that I wrote for my baby sister is gone. I know that I am better than the mess that I just performed. I am better by 110% but my body just shut down after seeing Connor. I don't know why I am so scared all of a sudden. I would have rocked if I didn't see his hideous face. 

Thanks for nothing Jerk.