Lunch with the Lovers!

From Left Field

~~ Kyou POV ~♥~

The bell tolled signaling it was time for lunch. Since Yun Hee and I were together, we decided at the beginning of the year that it would be simpler if Jiyoung came over to our classroom during lunch break. Yun Hee came over towards me and began rearranging our desks together. She stole another for Jiyoung before she came. Hopefully, Jay wouldn’t sit too far away from us, I thought.

When he entered the classroom this morning, I suddenly felt aware of my every movement. It was obvious that I felt this way because I thought he was attractive. I’m not stupid. I wasn’t going to pursue it, though, because I saw how all of the other girls felt the same way as me. I was just going to ignore it.

Jiyoung entered the classroom while I was taking out my lunch from my bag. She sat in the seat Yun Hee had prepared for her. I subtly glanced around the room for Jay while the other two were exchanging greetings.

“Kyou thinks the new guy’s hot,” Yun Hee joked.

“You guys got one too? Who is he? Where?” Jiyoung frantically searched the room for an unfamiliar face.

“What? He’s not hot. I mean- whatever. You know what I mean,” I groaned. I didn’t know how to explain, but it wasn’t necessary.

“There he is!” Yun Hee pointed towards Jay. He was talking with another student. It looked like he was asking a question.

“Don’t be so loud about it!” I yelled and hit her hand down, but it was futile. Jay was walking to the door and noticed our ruckus. He looked over at us and confusingly smiled. How much had he heard? I inwardly facepalmed.

The three of us continued to stare and give awkward smiles in return. He reached the door then abruptly stopped before he almost collided into someone. They stayed at the entrance conversing. It must have been what he had been asking about.

“Ah! It’s Karam. He’s the new student in my class. Min Ah and I worked with him on that one assignment,” Jiyoung said referring to the one Jay was with. She was about to tell us all about it when she was cut off by said person.

“Jiyoung, hey!  Do you mind if we have lunch with the three of you?” She looked over towards us in confirmation, but she probably already knew our answer.

“Sure, yeah,” she smiled.

“Thanks. We didn’t want to be lonely on the first day,” he laughs. “This is Jay,” he told to Jiyoung. He remembered that Yun Hee and I were there too. “I’m Karam. I’m in Jiyoung’s class.” He gave a short nod of his head as a bow.

“This is my sister Yun Hee and my cousin Kyou,” Jiyoung introduced us. She grinned mischievously at me when she said my name. I don’t know if they noticed it.

“You’re twins,” Karam pointed out. His eyes shone in amazement. They faked a chuckle like they usually do when someone mentions it.

“Yeah,” Yun Hee spoke up. We were expecting more questions like “Who’s older?” followed by “By how much?” and sometimes even “When were you born?” By then, the person loses interest in the topic and walks off. But they didn’t persist. Nevertheless, the glow Karam bore didn’t fade. Maybe that was just his normal look.

It was mute between the five of us as Karam and Jay grabbed two extra desks and dug through their belongings for their lunches. I took the chance to steal a peek at Jay again who sat across from me. He was cute, but hot may have been a little too much. I moved my gaze to Yun Hee and Jiyoung. Yun Hee was staring at Jiyoung who was doing the same thing to Karam that I was just doing to Jay. Did I also look that crazy?

It was obvious that Jiyoung liked Karam. He was cute; who wouldn’t be attracted to him? He was friendly and seemed kind, too. She even got to hang out with him during class. That was pretty lucky. Why wouldn’t she feel a little pulled to him? But why am I feeling this gravity pushing me to Jay? I haven’t even said a word to him.

I snapped out of my thoughts when the two boys finally fished out their boxes. Jiyoung broke her stare and I fixed mine to her. It would be dangerous if I gawked at Jay for too long. I shifted my gaze to Karam. He was watching Jiyoung eat. It was funny how one would look at the other when they’re not looking and vice versa.

I glanced over to Jay and did a double take. He saw Karam and Jiyoung’s little thing, too. He was watching them until they stopped. He was about to resume eating but saw my inquisitive look.

“Did you see that?” he asked amused. The others looked up wondering who he was talking to.

“Yeah,” I stated. Everyone was confused.

“See what?” Karam questioned.

“Nothing,” Jay answered.

“See what? I wanna know,” Yun Hee buzzed.

“Nothing. Calm down.” I telepathically told her that I would tell her later. She understood but pouted anyway.

Everyone was still puzzled, not knowing what to do next about the situation.

“So, Kyou, what made you choose this school?” Jay attempted to change the topic. They were still suspicious but kept silent.

“Its photography class.” I sipped my juice box.

“Oh, so you like photography?”

“No, I hate it. I wanted to become an astronaut.” What a stupid question. I knew it was only asked because he wanted to veer from the other subject, but it was still stupid. My sarcastic comment made everyone laugh and only helped our mission, so he shouldn’t be too offended.

“Oh, really?” he played along.

I grunted in confirmation and swallowed my rice. I dropped the act. “Why did you come here?”

He paused a moment, probably pondering whether he should make another snide remark, but opted not to. “Karam, my friends, and I want to be in a Kpop band. Don’t you pay attention in class when someone is introducing themselves, or were you too busy making crazy faces at Yun Hee to listen?”

It took me a second to understand what he was talking about, but then I remembered Yun Hee was staring at me like a weirdo as if she knew something I didn’t. I opened my mouth to respond but Yun Hee’s guffaw stopped me. I laughed with her. It was funny.

We spent the next few seconds laughing about it while Jiyoung and Karam asked Jay what was so humorous. He didn’t know exactly why either.

Still laughing, I explained, “Jay was going over to his seat, and Yun Hee was staring at me like a creeper, so I was, like, ‘stop staring at me, weirdo’- well I made a face because we’re not close enough to talk- and then she made that crazy face.”

Jiyoung joined in the laughter, but Karam was still uncertain. “What crazy face?”

“It was, like- no, I can’t do it. You do it,” I commanded Yun Hee.

“What? No!” She was too embarrassed. The snickering died down.

Our area became quiet again, but the rest of the classroom got louder. It became hard to talk over it. The rest of the lunch was spent with me having small side conversations with Yun Hee and Jiyoung while Karam and Jay had their own chat.


"What? No Mika?!" is what you are probably asking, right? Well, you're gonna have to wait until next chapter~ But for now, we get some comedy! Kyou is really sarcastic. Sometimes she comes off as mean, but she's honestly not. Please don't think bad of her~