The Lamb Bites Back

Don't run Unless you Want the Wolf to Chase you

Joshua nodded to Minki on his way out. Thank god Jeonghan was gone.

“Joshua,” he called out, making him stop in his tracks.

Turning around, he looked back at Minki with a quizzical look on his face.

“Tell Minhyun and Jonghyun I said hi,” he said, flashing Joshua a smile.

“Ok,” he said. “See you tomorrow.”

Minki’s smile turned from his regular sweet to calculated, sly almost. One that should’ve alerted Joshua funny business but he was too relieved to be away from Jeonghan to notice.

Walking out the doors, he trotted down the steps and to his favorite café. Joshua didn’t have time today to eat there but he’d grab some coffees to go for him and the kids. They were having a study group. Well it would turn into more of a hangout thing but as long as they got something done today Joshua would call it a job well done.

“Hey,” he called out, seeing Jonghyun and Minhyun, his attention on his friends. If he was actually looking at his surroundings he’d see a familiar face that he wanted to avoid in the corner.


Lucky for Jeonghan he didn’t.

Jeonghan watched as Joshua walked in. Minki was right. Thank god he wasn’t playing Jeonghan. But what did Minki get out of telling Jeonghan where Joshua would be. Ugh. If he thought about it, it’d distract him from approaching Joshua, who wasn’t ordering food as he hadn’t sat down.

Standing up, Jeonghan went closer. He wasn’t planning on eavesdropping, just get close enough to sort of casually listen in. He needed all the info he could get on Joshua.

“Nope. Not today,” Joshua told the two guys at the counter. “We have a study session today.”

“More like a free for all,” the guy with the long, straight nose said.

“We study,” Joshua protested.

“Only ten percent of the time,” the other guy said, laughing.

Jeonghan peeked a bit, seeing a name tag saying Jonghyun.

Jonghyun saw him and asked, “How can I help you?”

Joshua moved away from the counter. “Sorry if I was blocking the way.” He stopped when he saw it was Jeonghan. “Oh. It’s you,” his voice dripping with disdain.

Damn. He really did hate Jeonghan. Jeonghan smiled at him. He could work around it. Nothing would stop him now that he was interested.

“I was just in the neighborhood,” Jeonghan said. He would’ve amped up his smile but Joshua wasn’t having it.

Long nose dude was making eye contact with Joshua over him, but Joshua simply shook his head. Turning around, he snorted at Jeonghan. “I guess. Let me go wait over there then for my order.”

“So, what would you like,” Jonghyun asked him.

The other dude had moved over to make drinks and talk to Joshua. He gave him a smirk that made Joshua snap at him. Jeonghan stared some more until Jonghyun knocked him out of his trance.

“Same thing Joshua ordered?” He too smirked at Jeonghan like he was in on something.

Jeonghan leaned in, “Did that Minki guy send you a warning or something?”

“He might’ve mentioned something,” he replied back. “One caramel frap coming up. Extra whip cream. Just the way Joshua likes it.”

Internally Jeonghan shivered. So much sugar. How could the other boy even? But Jeonghan handed over his card.

“Word of advice,” Jonghyun said, “Joshua is a sweet kid, but he’s got more bite than he looks like he has. And he really doesn’t like being played. So be yourself and you’ll be fine.”

“That’s what Minki said,” Jeonghan said, taking his card back.

“Minki isn’t wrong. And neither am I.” He took a good long look at Jeonghan. “Money and looks aren’t the way into Joshua’s heart.” His eyes turned cold immediately. “It better be his heart you’re after. If it’s in his pants you better not come back here unless you want to be poisoned.”

Jeonghan sputtered. “I’m interested. Not only in what’s in his pants. Dates would be nice.”

He nodded, staring down at Jeonghan. “Good. Your order will be ready soon.”


“Who’s the guy?” Minhyun handed Joshua a tray of drinks in a bag.

“A kid from my school,” Joshua said shortly, taking the bag.

“Uh huh,” Minhyun answered, side eyeing Jeonghan at the other end of the counter. “Some kid who’s clearly interested in you.”

“He’s just after some easy conquest,” he snapped back, “and I won’t be one of them.”

“You sure that’s the only thing?” Minhyun looked at Joshua curiously.

Hissing Joshua said, “The reputation his group of friends have.”

He made a noise of surprise. “I never pegged you to listen to gossip and believe it.”

Joshua blushed a bit. “I’ve seen him with a new person on his arm plenty of enough. He’s not the type you bring home to mom.”

Minhyun whistled. “Wow. You’re like seriously not even getting to know him before making judgements. That’s so unlike you.”

“Getting close to Yoon Jeonghan would be stupid,” Joshua said. “Are you done yet?”

Tsking he placed the last drink on the tray. “Patience. And maybe try to give the guy a chance?”

Joshua shook his head vehemently. “No way. That’d be stupid.”

“What would be stupid?” Jeonghan asked, his hand coming out to lightly touch Joshua’s neck with his fingers.

Joshua’s hand came out in a flash, coming down in an arc and smacking Jeonghan’s hand away from him. Pulling back his hand, Joshua snarled. “Don’t touch me.”

Jeonghan whistled low, shaking his hand. “The lamb has quite the strength.”

“I told you not to call me that.” Joshua felt very much like a cat right then. One that had its personal space violated. If he had ears and a tail they both would be standing on end.

Minhyun chuckled behind the counter.

Shrugging Jeonghan apologized. “Sorry. Habit. You’re just super sweet looking and I can’t help it.”

“Keep your hands to yourself,” Joshua growled. He took the other bag from Minhyun. “Bye.” He nearly ran out of the café, ignoring his friends calls and the burning gaze of Yoon Jeonghan.


Jonghyun shook his head. “He really hates being touched there. Don’t do it again or Joshua might punch you.”

“Teasing him will also get you nowhere,” Minhyun added. “Even if it’s cute as hell. Joshua hates it.”

“You two are close?”

They flashed Jeonghan smiles. “Friends with Minki,” Jonghyun said. “We know Joshua well. So listen to my warnings.”

“You warned him already?” Whining Minhyun said, “Aww. I wanted to give him some too.”

Jonghyun hip checked him. “Next time. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the last we’ll see of this kid.” He handed Jeonghan his drink. “Here. I hope you like sweet stuff. Cuz Joshua likes his things sweet. Or bitter as hell.”

Jeonghan took a sip and choked. “. It’s so sugary.”

“It’s not that bad,” Minhyun said. “But if you don’t like sweets than yea.”

“Be nice to Joshua or you won’t get anywhere. Now get back to school kid,” Jonghyun said.

“Thanks,” Jeonghan said, saluting him. “I’ll keep the advice in mind.”

“You better,” the two of them said, echoing each other.

Jeonghan nodded, before leaving the café following Joshua back to school. Pity he couldn’t walk Joshua back to his dorm. But he’d likely get a frappuccino to the face.


Pushing the door of his room open, he grunted in reply as Seokmin greeted him. “Here,” he said, holding out his drink. “You can have it.”

Happily, Seokmin took it, taking a sip. “This is sweet hyung. Why’d you order it?”

“It’s the drink Joshua ordered,” he mumbled, shucking off his school blazer. “Got to train myself to like sweets.”

“Wowww,” he said, dragging out the w. “You really like him, don’t you?”

Flopping onto his bed, Jeonghan said, “I’m intrigued beyond belief.” He his lips, reminiscent of a wild animal his chops. “I want to get to know him better. He’s interesting.”

Seokmin chuckled. “Good luck hyung. You’ll need it. I heard he’s a tough nut to crack.”

“I’ll make him sing,” Jeonghan said into his pillows. “He’ll tell me about himself eventually. He’s interested. Even if he wants to protest it.”

Snorting, Seokmin said, “If you say so.”