Stalking Your Prey

Don't run Unless you Want the Wolf to Chase you

Joshua woke up Saturday morning nearly screaming. A face was right above his, the body laying on top of his bottom half. Biting down on his lip to stifle the startled scream, he heard a snicker to the side.

Over by Wonwoo’s computer chair sat Jihoon and Minghao on the edge of the desk. The two of them were trying to hide the laughter spilling from their lips to no avail. Little s.

Seungkwan beamed at him from his place on Vernon’s lap. Vernon, who currently occupied Joshua’s own desk chair, with Wonwoo sitting on top of his apparently neatly made bed.

That left Soonyoung as the face right above his. Palm, facing upward, Joshua pushed Soonyoung’s cheeks and bodily shoved him off and onto the floor, ignoring the tiny squawk of pain.

“Was that freaking necessary?” Joshua groaned, rubbing at his face. “Why in the freaking seven hells are you guys even up earlier than I am?”

“Oooh,” Vernon said, “Joshua said seven hells.”

Smacking Vernon lightly, Seungkwan said, “He just woke up. Don’t test him.”

“You’re all testing me right now by being here,” Joshua snapped. “Soonyoung especially for climbing on top and nearly giving me a heart attack before,” he stopped and looked at his phone, groaning, “10 am even. And seven hells isn’t a bad word Vernon. It’s just my way of not saying bad words.”

“It’s hair dyeing day,” Minghao said with a cute grin.

Jihoon on the other hand gave Joshua a twisted sort of smile. Like he was half filled with joy and half malicious glee that Joshua was finally going to finish that dare. “We’ll find the perfect color.”

Joshua flopped back onto his pillow, “You guys .”

Wonwoo chuckled, “That’s just Vernon and Seungkwan.”

“Oh eww,” Minghao said with scrunched up face. “They only each other. Why the hell did you have to bring it up?”

The two in question blushed at the mention of their ual activities.

He shrugged. “For fun.” He turned his gaze to Joshua, “Hurry up and get dressed. Time to dye your hair.”

“Be a new you,” Soonyoung said, in his crossed legged position on the floor.

Joshua groaned in pain once more.


Sitting in the hair stylists chair, Joshua’s head spun. All of their voices were ringing out, pointing at the color samples, arguing on which one would look better, or in some cases bad on Joshua. They went on for a good ten minutes before Hyejeong noona raised her voice.

“Shut up!” She smiled as they all quieted down. “Good. Now go sit down. Or scram until I’m done with Shua here. He and I will pick out his hair color.”

“But noona,” Jihoon protested, “no one let me—“

“That wasn’t part of the bet noona,” Seungkwan jumped in.

“Too bad. This is Joshua’s first time dyeing his hair and I won’t ruin it. So, scram all of you until I text when he’s done,” she said, making shooing movements with her hands.

“Noonaaa,” Soonyoung whined.

“No, Soonyoung,” Hyejeong said sternly. “Go. All of you.” She even ignored Minghao’s pouting.

They all gave kicked puppy looks but marched out of the salon as per her orders. The other customers laughed delightedly. The older ladies always did like when they came in, made it lively they said.

Hyejeong turned to Joshua as they left. “Let’s get started,” she grinned.


A good three hours later, Joshua sat up from the hair washing station, thanking the man. Sitting down in Hyejeong noona’s chair again he squinted, taking in his appearance. This was a rather striking color. Granted he chose it from the choices she had picked. It was just…different.

“How do you like it?” She smiled at him.

“It’s different. Darker than I would’ve imagined,” he said tilting his head.

Laughing she explained, “With a few washes the color will come out, making it that nice grapefruit peach pink we saw. You’ll be pretty.”

Joshua frowned. That reminded him of Yoon Jeonghan calling him soft and a lamb.

“What’s wrong? You don’t like the color?”

“No,” he said, shaking his head, “it’s not that. It just reminded me of what someone said. I don’t like him,” Joshua muttered quietly.

She smirked at him. “Sure, you don’t. Does our little Shua have a crush on someone?”

He shook his head vehemently. “No!” Immediately, he closed his mouth, looking around to make sure none of the other customers heard him. “No,” he said softer, “he seems to have,” pulling a disgusted face, “taken a liking to me or something. I don’t know why.” Under his breath he said, “The freaking weirdo.”

Nodding she let out a little ahh. “I get it. He probably likes you but he’s a stupid teenaged boy so he’s pulling on your proverbial pigtails to get your attention.” She smiled at Joshua, “Is he good looking?”

Joshua snorted. “He’s part of the supposedly best looking pack of boys in our school. And he’s not pulling on my pigtails.”

“That doesn’t answer my question though,” she said slyly. “Do you think he’s good looking?” She ignored the last part.

“On a purely aesthetic level?” Joshua turned up his nose. “Yes, he is. Only aesthetically.”

Hyejeong laughed at him, ruffling his wet hair. “Ok. Aesthetically pleasing. That’s good. Let’s get you all dried up and give you a little trim.”


“Hyung,” Seungkwan breathed out, at a quiet level for once in his life.

“It’s so…” Minghao seemed at a loss for words.

Vernon just googled at him in surprise.

Jihoon grinned.

Wonwoo and Soonyoung nodded in approval.

“You’re going to knock socks off,” Soonyoung said.

“So much more sighing,” Wonwoo added.

Joshua sighed, putting his face into his hands. He only hoped a certain someone would go back to his life and leave Joshua alone.


Joshua spoke too soon. He could feel eyes boring into the back of his skull come Monday morning. Somehow, he had with the help of his friends avoided Yoon Jeonghan the rest of their weekend, but it could have been due to the fact that as Seungkwan said, “He goes to his parent’s house up in the mountains and spends it with his friends on the weekends.”

A boy could dream. But right now, Joshua watched his dreams go up in flames right before his eyes. As soon as the bell rang, signaling lunch Joshua lurched out of his seat and made a run for the door. Luckily, he made it through. From there he ran, scurried more like, to their regular haunt, the old music room on the fifth floor.

Going up the stairs he sighed in relief at the empty hallway. Thank goodness. He rounded the corner and yelped as he bumped into someone.

Immediately he felt an arm reach out and wrap around his waist, pulling him into the person’s body. A boy’s body. Joshua stared at his hand, a familiar bracelet twinkled back at him. He closed his eyes in defeat.

“Are you swooning over the way I saved you from falling?” Jeonghan chuckled deeply.

Joshua snapped his eyes open, glaring at him. “No,” he snapped. “Let me go.”

“Nah. I like you in my arms.” Jeonghan grinned at him. “You’re really light. Do you eat enough?”

Pushing at Jeonghan’s chest, which got too close, he snarled, “I do. Now let me go.”

“All right, all right.” Jeonghan gently placed Joshua on his feet, off from the minor tilt he had him in. “Your hair is really pretty.” He brought up his fingers and ran it through Joshua’s forehead lightly.

Joshua reared his head back, moving away to the safety of the wall. Another mistake as Jeonghan followed him, nearly pressing him against it, moving his body to barricade Joshua’s in.

“Can I?” He asked, holding up his fingers, pointing to Joshua’s hair.

“Only if you leave me alone after this,” Joshua said.

“Promise,” Jeonghan said with a grin.

Reluctantly, Joshua nodded. He stared straight into Jeonghan’s collar, as he felt gentle fingers make their way into his hair, brushing at his bangs and lightly running through Joshua’s hair. What Joshua did next was a stupid move. He relaxed into Jeonghan’s touch. It had been a long time since someone had pet him like this. He missed it. His mom would always do this in affection.

Joshua’s eyes flew open as he felt lips touch his own, a light touch. Lips on lips, a fleeting thing. Jeonghan kissed him. Oh freaking hell. Jeonghan freaking kissed him!

He pushed Jeonghan away, forcing the other boy back. Jeonghan grinned, lightly pressing his fingers into his own lips. “You have soft lips too,” he grinned.

Joshua, started shuddering. Not in fear, not out of danger. Out of anger. “You,” he growled.

“I’ll be taking my leave now my dear lamb. I promised to leave you alone.” Jeonghan sent a smile Joshua’s way. Walking away and down the stairs he said one last thing, “For now.”

Joshua stood there, vibrating angrily. The .