Shiny Caught the Magpie's eye

Don't run Unless you Want the Wolf to Chase you

Joshua moved around the crowd, trying not to get jostled by the rabid fangirls and fanboys. You would think these high school students would follow idols around not some boys in their school. But he could hear Soonyoung in his head, “They’re the it boys hyung. The popular ones. They’re like idols except more accessible.”

Scoffing Joshua finally moved clear of the crowd. He sighed as he worked open his locker. He upped the volume on his phone trying to drown out the screaming and the yelling of the names of the “Wolf Pack”. Wolf pack was Joshua’s own little nickname for the group of guys that were heralded as the most popular and hot boys of the school. Wolves because they moved in a pack, were ravenous in who they “ate”, as in everyone they wanted, and in how they treated them, like they were nothing. It was all sorts of disgusting.

Joshua put the books he didn’t need away and grabbed the ones he did need. Feeling a hand touch his neck, Joshua’s elbow pushed back hitting flesh.  As he pulled one headphone out he heard a familiar groan.

“Hyung,” he whined, “did you have too?”

“Reflex Soonyoung,” Joshua answered. “I told you a lot of times that I’m sensitive there so don’t touch unless you want to be hurt.” He turned around. “How’d you get past that crowd of rabid fans?”

“Jeonghan was in a hurry,” Soonyoung said, shrugging. “It got them to disperse quick because he didn’t look so happy.”

“Hmm,” Joshua shrugged. “Well whatever happened it’s good for us. Finally an empty hallway.” He looked around a smile forming on his face. “So much easier to walk around in.”

Snorting Soonyoung nodded. “Well you just have to time everything right.”

“I shouldn’t need to,” he scoffed, walking towards their normal lunch spot in the music room.

Soonyoung shrugged. “Can’t be helped. The Wolf Pack always moves together so it’s chaos.”

“Annoying bastards.” The sun shone through the windows, hitting something which glinted in Joshua’s eyes catching his attention. He stopped and stooped down. Turning on the flashlight on his phone, he grimaced but reached in and grabbed the thing that glinted back at him. It was a bracelet. Chain link, too heavy to be a girl’s. He got up. Holding it up he tilted his head as he looked for any markers of ownership. Eyes widening, he took in the engraved initials. “Soonyoung?”

“Yea, Shua?” Soonyoung caught up to him, chin on Joshua’s shoulder looking at the bracelet in his hand.

“Does one of the Wolf pack wear a bracelet like this?” Joshua wanted him to say no. Joshua didn’t want anything to do with those rabid wolves. Not at all.

His eyes lit up. “Oh yea,” he said slamming his closed fist on his palm. “one of the ones who share the same class as you. Yoon Jeonghan.”

Joshua closed his eyes. Of all the ones. “Wonderful.” He held it up, holding it away from him like it was cursed. “Now how do I get it back to him.”

“It’s his? Might be someone else’s,” Soonyoung threw in, sounding logical, for once.

Joshua shook his head. “It has his initials on it. He probably lost it or something and that’s why the crowd dispersed.” Pulling his face into a grimace, Joshua gnawed at his lip. “Can’t exactly call him out. And don’t want to give it to him in class. Too much attention.”

Chiming in, Soonyoung cut through Joshua’s tirade, “You could always go to where they eat lunch.”

“Where do they…” Joshua knew next to nothing about them besides names, faces, and club activities. He made a point of ignoring their existence.

“Ah in that room…”


Joshua stood in front of said room that Soonyoung described to him. He could’ve been eating lunch with his friends and making ty jokes, teasing Vernon and Seungkwan, and learning Korean curse words with Minghao from Wonwoo and Jihoon. But no. He had to be a nice guy and bring back what looked to be an expensive bracelet. A treasured one most likely.

Taking a deep breath, he knocked on the door. It opened rather quickly, nearly making Joshua step back. He thought he’d have to open the door himself.

Wen Junhui arched his brow in question at Joshua.

“I think I might of found something that belongs to one of you,” Joshua said calmly. “A bracelet.”

The guy’s eyes lit up. “Ooh nice. Jeonghan’s been pissy since earlier.” He turned his head, opening the door larger to let Joshua in. “Jeonghan! Someone found your bracelet!” He waved Joshua in.

Stepping into the rather large abandoned classroom, Joshua ignored the other wolves’ stares.

“No ?” Jeonghan asked, sitting up from his lounging position. The pout on his face disappeared. Getting up he nearly rushed towards Joshua.

Joshua took a few steps back. He didn’t want to topple over. No thanks. He held up his hand, palm up. Thankfully it stopped Jeonghan in his tracks. “Here. I think it’s yours.”

Jeonghan’s eyes gleamed excitedly. A huge smile spread on his face as he took in the bracelet on Joshua’s hand. “It is! Where’d you find it?!”

Gently he took it off Joshua’s palm, clearly ecstatic about being reunited with it.

“It was umm,” Joshua blushed a bit. It was sort of embarrassing since it wasn’t in plain sight and his habit of his eyes catching sight of shiny things was annoying. Like a magpie his mom would tell him. “The sun made it shine and it caught my eye. I found it underneath the empty spaces of one of the lockers.”

“That’s why we couldn’t find it,” one of the other wolves said. Well the guy’s name was Mingyu but Joshua still liked to call them wolves in his head.

He inched towards the door. His errand complete. He returned the lost item. “Glad I could return it. Umm. So bye.” He lengthened his gait making double time towards the exit. Joshua was almost there until he felt a hand on his wrist, pulling him back.

“Hey,” Jeonghan said, “do you want some sort of reward for returning this?” He sounded suspicious, almost accusatory. Like Joshua found the dumb thing on purpose.

Furrowing his brows, Joshua shook his head. “I thought it looked important. Like you treasured it so I returned it sooner rather than just leaving it in your desk or something. I don’t need crap. I’m happy it’s back to you. Can you let me go now?” Joshua wasn’t a fighter. Not normally anyhow. But if he didn’t let go…

Jun laughed. “Let the lamb go hyung. Look at him. Not a single duplicitous bone in his body. He looks like one of those poster boys for a good church going boy.”

Joshua took offense at that. He did go to church and he was a nice person, if he said so himself. Even his fellow church goers said he was a nice boy. Did the wolf really think he wanted something? What sort of ed up was that?

Jeonghan let him go. “You’re right. He looks too nice to have done this on purpose like those other people might.” He stared at Joshua extra long like he could see if Joshua was lying to him or not.

“All righty then,” Joshua said cautiously, “I’ll be going now.” He went through the still open door before Jeonghan called out.

“What’s your name lamb?”

Joshua turned his head, a bit pissed. He wasn’t a lamb. “That’s none of your business. Take care of your stuff better so maybe you won’t go around sounding all suspicious of someone’s actions.” He huffed stalking away from the empty classroom. Freaking weirdos.


They all stared at the open door with wide eyes. Jeonghan blinked a few times, surprised at how the other boy looked like he wanted to spit in Jeonghan’s face when he turned around. Most of the student body worshipped them. There was a small part that hated them and another even smaller part that ignored them. Was that kid one of the one’s who hated them? But he wouldn’t have returned the bracelet if he did.

Seokmin laughed. “Oh wow. He straight up ignored you hyung.”

“He did,” Jeonghan whispered.

“Guess the lamb has more backbone then I thought,” Jun mused. “He was cute.”

“Not your type,” Jeonghan shot back. “Stay away from him.” His eyes narrowed as he looked out the open door. The wheels in his brain turned. “He’s mine.”

Holding up his hands, Jun nodded. “No problem. Just stating an opinion.”

“But isn’t he not your type Jeonghan?” Seungcheol asked.

“Doesn’t matter,” he shot back. Whispering to himself as he caressed is newly returned bracelet, remembering the wide eyed look on the boy’s face and the sneer as he nearly spat his parting shot, “He’s interesting.”


One level down Joshua shivered as he opened the door to the music room. What was that?