twenty eight ♪ 재 결 합

Brave The World [Suga x OC]

 

I stared down at an abandoned messaging feed no more than an hour or so, my frozen fingers listening to my heart more than my mind. My mind had grown impatient, urging me to send just one text. My heart, on the other hand, beat hard in insecurity and uneasiness.

 

There were so many texts. So many texts I left unanswered. What would she even say after being a victim of my icy cold shoulder for so many years? She couldn't still be all that open to me after everything I'd made her put up with, could she be?

 

I knew for a fact that the old her would readily give me a chance. The old her was understanding and considerate, always willing to give people a second chance. But there I was again, referring to Anna during the time I dated her as an older version of herself, despite not knowing whether she had actually even changed from then. She dated one man and it led me to believe that she'd done a 180. What had I been thinking all this time?

 

I couldn't believe I allowed myself to be so irrational. But no one had ever achieved so much power over me to make me feel so many different ways. And in contrast to what I was used to, her newer relationship with that actor guy filled me with pain, envy and confusion. But Hoseok was right, I didn't know anything about her side of the story. I was clueless to what she was feeling, filling me with even more stress. 

 

I wanted to know everything. I always had wanted to. I wanted to know who she'd met and where she'd been. I wanted to know if all the things that used to make her heart sing still did. I wanted to know what kinds of quirks and mannerisms she'd picked up these past few years. 

 

Everything. I truly wanted to know everything because she was once my everything.

 

Putting aside my worries and doubts, my fingers began working at my phone's keypad. I was admittedly startled when a text from her popped into the conversation, as if she had sensed what I'd been trying to do.

 

"Hey," she started before following up with another message. "I'm back in Korea taking some time off. Would you ever want to meet up?"

 

Her inclusion of the word 'ever' was sad for me to read. It was as if she was already doubting that that I'd ever agree to such a thing. How could I have let it get to such a point?

 

For the next few minutes, I played a tiring game of type and delete with myself. I'd come up with some sort of response just to immediately wipe it out of my text box. I was making things way more complicated than necessary but I felt like I just couldn't think of anything good to say. Some message ideas were too short, others were too long. Some were too dramatic while others seemed indifferent. 

 

I almost gave up right then and there, my incapability to respond worrying me. I was so nervous - so damn nervous. But I had done too much giving up and this was something I couldn't give up on ever again. She was something I couldn't give up on. So I came up with something, something that I conjured up in seconds with my new attitude.

 

"You actually caught me mid-text of me asking you if you maybe wanted to grab some dinner somewhere," I told her without hesitation, refusing to hold off any further. It was time for the cold shoulder to melt.

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah, really," I assured her. "Would you have time tonight or would you rather do it another night? I know you just got back to Korea so if you wanted to rest a little bit, you can."

 

"No, tonight is good! Just name a place and a time and I'm there!"

 

Maybe I was reading too much into the messages but she sounded anxious to meet me - good anxious. And that excited me. Maybe I hadn't blown everything.

 

I got back to her with a time and place, choosing a "newer but not so new anymore" restaurant that I'd been to once. It had felt like a place she'd like with so many different options of foods I knew she liked. And the style was perfect - more upscale but still the kind of place that was casual enough for two friends to eat together without suspicion. Though, with a past and eventually public relationship under our belts, we'd probably look romantically suspicious no matter where we went.

 

I offered to pick her up, as she was staying in an apartment off-property, but she declined due to her feeling that I would very much be going out of my way to do so. I wasn't worried about that as much as I was worried about sitting alone with her in a quiet car. There was no denying how awkward that would be. We needed some serious ice-breaking and a popular restaurant would be the most comfortable place for it.

 

She ended up turning down my offer to pay for her taxi, as well. At that point, I didn't have anything else to offer so I told her I'd see her in a little bit. She returned the sentiment, adding that she was excited to see me. I was feeling the same way and more. All my negative feelings disappeared into thin air after one brief conversation with her. 

 

I was aggressively twiddling my thumbs in anxiety once I was seated at the restaurant. Then, I saw her. And an array of feelings beyond human capacity flooded through me all at once. I wasn't seeing her in a blur in my attempts to avoid interaction with her. I wasn't catching a glimpse of her on TV or online before quickly changing the channel. I wasn't imagining this moment. She was really walking towards where I was sat at the back of an upscale restaurant all by myself, a bright smile on her face as her eyes landed on me.

 

"Hi," she chimed happily. I was grateful when she immediately went to sit in the open chair but disappointed that she wasn't expecting a hug or something else of that sort. But as soon as she got comfortable in her seat, the awkwardness I thought we'd avoided settled over us in the form of a thick, heavy silence. "So, uh, how've you been?"

 

"I've been okay," I admitted simply. There was no better way to put it- not entirely happy but still living a good life. "Busy."

 

"I'm sure you are," she agreed, her smiling eyes never leaving my face. "But you look great."

 

"As do you. You didn't put on any American weight or anything."

 

I cringed as soon as the words left my mouth. Where had my intelligence gone? Or my self-control? That was the kind of banter we would've exchanged when we were together six years ago, not something I should say upon first reunion. I was about to apologize when she started chuckling.

 

"I'm surprised, too, trust me. But I think living here changed my eating habits. I found myself only eating half of my meals before getting full as soon as my schedules kicked up in America," she explained with ease, not thinking twice about what I had said. "Plus, I got really picky with my food."

 

I smiled. She was still the Anna I knew and some sliver of the relationship we had was still alive and well.

 

"Did you, now?" I questioned, just as easily engaging in the playful nature of the conversation. "What about chicken? Has that been kicked to the side now?"

 

"That will never happen," she guaranteed in mock seriousness. "That's one thing that basically never changed. Not too long after I officially settled back into New York, a really amazing chicken place opened up right down the street. I mean, it's nothing compared to the takeout place across the street from the residential buildings here but it's pretty good."

 

"That place expanded, you know," I told her, an amused smirk making its way onto my face as I witnessed her dramatic reaction. I took a sip of my water, playing it cool.

 

"What?! Seriously?!"

 

"Well, it wasn't exactly an expansion but they really refurbished it. It looks totally different now. Like, really, really nice. And they added a bunch of new menu items."

 

"Like what?"

 

I smirked. "Like new chicken flavors."

 

I almost laughed at the way her jaw dropped. She was still a reaction queen. "Yoongi, we have to go."

 

'We have to go.' She didn't just want to see it, she wanted to see it with me. I felt a feeling in my stomach that I hadn't felt for a long time.

 

"We can go," I told her. "Whenever you want to, we can."

 

"Well, I'll leave it more up to you since you still have a schedule to keep up with. I have lots of time," she joked honestly.

 

"Speaking of that, when do you go back to America?"

 

I almost didn't want to ask, not exactly wanting to hear an answer. We hadn't even given our orders and things already seemed back to the way they should've been. I dreaded her leaving me yet again. 

 

She chuckled at my question, but it was a laugh unlike the rest. I couldn't tell if it was bitterness I caught or something else like or unlike it. But it was vague and I didn't understand it. Her answer had the same aura.

 

"That's a good question."

 

 

 

 

Hours later, we were laughing as we waited for our waiter to return with my credit card after having paid the check. There was no amount of insisting Anna could've done to have convinced me to split the bill with her so it was automatically a losing battle for her.

 

"You did not do that to him," Anna laughed at the story I'd just told her, her eyes wide in somewhat horror.

 

"I did," I nodded, a smug grin on my face. "How could this grown man have come to Korea from America without researching how money works over here? If he wants to be a producer and make a living over here, he should know that!"

 

"So, why couldn't you have been the one to tell him?!" She exclaimed in amusement.

 

"Because where's the fun in that?"

 

"So, to you, fun was watching this poor man feel guilty thinking you had just treated him to a $120,000 meal?"

 

"Hey, Hoseok and Heechul were there too and thought it was equally as hilarious," I pointed out.

 

"That's because all three of you are savages!" She joked, throwing her hands up in the air for emphasis. "But speaking of Hoseok, how is he? I feel like I haven't seen him in ages."

 

"Then, you should definitely see for yourself how he is. He always misses you to death, even if you had just seen him somewhere the day before," I told her honestly, taking a sip of the small puddle of water left in my cup.

 

"Well, I'm glad to know that I've for sure been missed by at least one person," she continued to joke, the statement being exactly that. 

 

"You're missed by more than just him. Trust me," I said anyway, my voice low and wistful, but loud enough for her to hear. Her gaze shifted slightly, so much so that most probably wouldn't have noticed it. 

 

It seemed like she was about to say something when our waiter and his impeccable timing interrupted us to finally return my credit card and a receipt to me. We both thanked him, getting to our feet to head out. Whatever she wanted to say was put on hold as we exited through the back door, away from the public eye.

 

"You can go on home if you want. I can stay here and wait for a car service to take me home," she spoke up as I unconsciously led the way to my car. When I turned around, she was already searching through her phone for a service to call.

 

"Don't be ridiculous. Why pay for a car service when I can drive you home for free?"

 

She shook her hands in front of her. "No, no, I don't want to burden you."

 

"If you were burdening me, I'd tell you. Trust me," I pointed out bluntly. 

 

She held my stare for a few moments, though whether it was in challenge or just plain consideration, I wasn't sure. She must've concluded I wasn't lying when she shrugged and stepped up to my car in submission.

 

"Alright, I guess you're right," she concluded as she hopped into the passenger seat. "But dinner and a ride home. You're really spoiling me, Mr. Min."

 

"I'm 28 now. Aren't you supposed to get more selfless as you age? I'm just doing my duties."

 

The irony was that I really was simply spoiling her. I wasn't actually selfless for that many people. 

 

"I don't think that applies yet at 28," she giggled. "I'd say you have another 40 or 50 more years until that becomes the case."

 

I chuckled, realizing I'd forgotten how much I loved the sound of her giggles. Her laughter in general was one of my favorite sounds but her giggling was specifically endearing.

 

We kicked into some small talk following that. The first thing she did was inquire about the car, which I completely expected.

 

"Is it yours?"

 

"All mine," I affirmed proudly.

 

"When did you get it? It's really nice," she complimented, glancing over all of its different features. 

 

"Maybe about two years or three years ago now," I estimated, my lips unconsciously pouting as I thought about it. 

 

"Where do you park it?"

 

"Remember that restaurant that was at the very end of the Southeast side of Entertainment Avenue?"

 

"You mean the one no one ever ate at?"

 

"Yes, that one," I nodded. "Director Jung shut it down, bulldozed it, and then built a parking garage over the land. Artists and staff had been asking for one before I even got signed so it was totally overdue. It took a while but four floors of parking made the wait worth it."

 

"Four floors of parking?!" She exclaimed in surprise. "Are there really that many people with cars?"

 

"Tons of artists invested in cars just because we got the garage so, yeah, I'd say there are," I explained. "But it's not like the whole thing is full. Director Jung made it four floors specifically to have overflow parking."

 

"I see," she nodded. "Must be nice being in charge of one of the richest and most successful companies in the world."

 

"You sound like you're unhappy with him," I prodded playfully.

 

"Nah, I just love dragging him. His reaction when I do is hilarious."

 

"You probably baffle him."

 

"I think I do," she chuckled. "And honestly, even when I'm not trying dragging him, I still manage to."

 

"I think he's still unaccustomed to your American nature."

 

"One would think he'd have gotten used to it by now." She giggled again. "But you're probably right."

 

I smiled, my eyes turning away from her and back towards the road as the light turned green. And maybe I was reaching, but something felt different this time versus all the other times she'd come back to Korea. Or more like familiar. Maybe it was because the hiatus put less of a time restraint on me and meant she had more freedom to let me see her.

 

Or maybe it was an inkling that something better was to come.

 

 

 

 

_________________________________

Happy post-Halloween y'all!! I meant to post this as a "treat" for you all yesterday (because come on, this was definitely a treat) but never got the chance to finish editing it! But I hope you guys enjoy, since you know, this is finally a happy chapter!