The Amendment

Once Upon a Time a Judas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Both of them were waiting for either of them to surrender to the overwhelming silence after they both placed their order. They had been avoiding each others eyes, scared that once their eyes met, their own facade will be seen through. Jungkook was just watching the other customers who were chatting animatedly, appearing like he didn’t have any care in the world. Soojung had her eyes down most of the time, holding on to her locket and once in a while, scratching her neck. She was actually starting to regret not protesting when Jungkook decided to treat her to ice cream. In the past, she would feel jolly whenever she was with Jungkook, even though he didn’t belong to her. He never did. But being in the awkward bubble when everyone else in the premise seems to be having the time of their life, felt out of place. She desperately hope she was now soaking in warm bath after a tiring day instead of facing this situation.

“I’m sorry.” She was shocked to finally hearing Jungkook voice. She thought that he was going to give her a silent treatment even though she was sure his cold demeanor was gone ever since he decided for ice cream. Nevertheless, she should be careful. After all this years, Jungkook actions was unpredictable and he can be harsh. But what’s with the apology? Her brows knitted and confusion was written all over her face. Jungkook, having faced with her reaction to his apology struggled to explain himself and shifted in his seat uncomfortably. “About that time in Mochi and in your room. I acted impulsively. I know you didn’t deserve it even if you’re really at fault.” She was taken aback by Jungkook confession. Her mind drifted back to those incidents and she felt herself lost in thoughts. Even if she was still at fault? So he was still doubting her

She wasn't going to ignore his apology, right? The Soojung he know wouldn’t do that. She seems lost in her train of thoughts and he wondered if he should wait or interrupt her thoughts. He was about to interrupt when the waiter placed their ice cream and told them to enjoy and left with a blinding smile. Soojung was finally looking at him in the eyes and somehow he felt intimidated by her sudden spurt of confidence. “It’s okay. I understand why you did it. Had it been me, I’d probably do the same.” He was unsure whether he should feel relieved or not because what she just said make him felt worthless. The way she put it sounds as if he wasn’t anyone she should feel intimidated by. As if she wasn’t at all affected by him. As if she didn’t even feel a slight grudge towards him which was completely opposite of what he expected.

He watched attentively as she picked up the spoon and scooped her favorite, strawberry cheesecake and beamed at the taste. “It’s delicious.” He wanted to ask her, to urge her to tell him what she was really feeling but seeing how she was all smiling and stuffing more ice cream, he didn’t. he spent the next half an hour just watching her eating and finishing his own ice cream. She was still clumsy when it comes to eating. Her lip gloss was gone by the time he finished the ice cream, not without smudging some of it around her lips. He was about to remind her when knowingly she picked up the napkin and wiped her lips. Somehow it made him feel weird, not being able to wipe it for her without hesitating. Back then, he can do it confidently. Back then. After all the eating, she finally looked up and he couldn’t help but comment. “You are still a kid when it comes to eating.”

She didn’t say anything and smiled at his comment. Maybe it’s time for her to forget everything. She wouldn’t lie, she was indeed still feeling unfair of Jungkook actions towards her. But he apologizes. She knew very well it was not a wise action to keep dwelling in the past. Maybe, just like how she forgave her sister for leaving her, she should forgive Jungkook and move on completely. About her lingering feelings for Jungkook, she just needed to stick to Haeri unnie’s philosophy. If they were meant to be, they will. She just need to leave it to fate after trying. She offered to pay but being Jungkook, he insisted on paying. Maybe the wedding tires her but she was struggling with the drowsiness on the drive back. She shouldn’t fall asleep in Jungkook’s car. Not in a million years. Her eyelids became heavier with every blink and she lose it.

He was about to turn the radio on when he glanced to his side. No wonder she had been awfully quiet. His intention to lighten up the atmosphere with some music was stopped and without realizing, he was trying hard to drive smoothly. Not wanting to wake her up. He smiled to himself as he thought about her. She hadn’t changed at all through all the years. But not him. He changed a whole damn lot. He was definitely way colder, not longer warm. It was his way of protecting himself. He didn’t want anyone to be able to look through his broken self and to protect himself from people other that his friends and family who tried to gain benefits from him by trying to squeeze themselves into his life. All their allegiance join their company either because they knew he was more than capable or because his sister managed to coax them. His sister was right. He had grown colder and harder now.

He watched as some of the lights in the house was still on. Haeri and Yejin noona must still be up. He then looked at Soojung’s steady breaths. For a while he did nothing but watching her. His thoughts drifted to what his hyungs told him. That he might still like Soojung. He found it absurd. He should be able to tell that he didn’t but now he wasn’t sure anymore. He sighed ruefully and wiped his face as he turned away and looked out his window. He wondered. He wondered if she wasn’t at fault, what would he have done? What a jerk was he? How hurt would she be? Hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter